“A great place - we'll be back”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Firehouse BBQ

Firehouse BBQ
Ranked #5 of 103 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Firehouse BBQ and Blues is Richmond Indiana's oldest firehouse. Owned and operated by two Richmond Firefighters, it is Indiana's premier BBQ restaurant. We specialize in southern style smoked pork, chicken, and brisket, and serve it up in a comfortable, nostalgic atmosphere. Live Blues music can be enjoyed every Friday and Saturday night. We also specialize in catering. You can plan your event to take place in our banquet room, or we can cater your event at your location.
“A great place - we'll be back”
Reviewed May 23, 2012 via mobile

I don't know why people would wait in line to get into one of the franchise restaurants. This place is owner operated. It has great BBQ, great service, great atmosphere and on nights when they have live music it's all the better. The owners and wait staff are personable and friendly and the prices are very reasonable. It's in an old firehouse in an historic part of Richmond. The two owners are still in the fire department.

1 Thank Rich M

Columbia, South Carolina
“Good Food - Good Music - Good Atmoshpere”
Reviewed February 15, 2012

I was working in town and this place was recommended by a local. It was tough to choose but I had a half rack of ribs, slaw and green beans. All great stuff!!
I hear there is live music some nights but not the night I was there. I will definitely be back next time I'm in town.

• Visited January 2012
firehousebbq, Owner at Firehouse BBQ, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Thanks for stopping in! We feature live Blues every Friday and Saturday nights starting around 9pm. Also during the summer months, we have a Blues Open Jam on Tuesday evenings starting around 6pm, which is also our "Bike Night". During the colder seasons, Tuesday nights are our "Blue Tuesday", the Blues goes acoustic, usually a solo or duet acoustic show. Stop in on a music night and get the best of both worlds...
Richmond, Indiana
“Incredible BBQ Pork”
Reviewed February 7, 2012

\I tasted the pulled pork from this establishment 2 years ago, when they were only two firemen serving from a smoker at a street fair (Oktoberfest) in Richmond, Indiana. Their pork was then head and shoulders above all the competitors' entries in the food category. They didn't try to do a lot of things, just the pork and brisket. And both were out of this world. I recently heard friends talking about the newly opened renovated Firehouse BBQ and kept reminding ourselves we have to go there. Yesterday was the chosen night, a dreary Monday night to be sure, a great time to try a new place! The building is a converted old firehouse, which houses a dining room with a stage at one end of the room, a bar on the other side, there is a second floor but we didn't venture there. I am told there's entertainment during the weekend. I will tell you that when the food arrived and I tasted it, I was in seventh heaven. Nothing like doing a simple recipe well and with the best ingredients, it kinda tastes like something altogether new! The pulled pork was just as good as two years ago, juicy, moist and the sides were spectacular: wonderful cole slaw, dreamy cheesy potatoes, and a killer potato salad. Now you will say to me, yeah, so what everyone serves such things, no biggie. The biggie is that firemen are known to be good cooks; now picture Martha Steward herself coming in and making killer BBQ, cheesy potatoes, potato salad, etc. I mentioned, that's what you'd get here, it’s that good! Everything was fabulous and so was their spicy chili, the best I have ever had in a restaurant! An appetizer of stuffed jalapenos was quite tasty as well, and so was the one dessert (mine, of course!), old fashioned banana pudding, I ate it very slowly indeed, I wanted it to last. What I loved about this place is that their food has no pretensions and yet it's better than anywhere else in town. We are all going back on Thursday, why not? There are four more desserts and three more sides to eat, and I want to try the brisket! Now someone explain to me, what is so hard about putting out good, tasty, well prepared, food? Apparently these former firemen are doing just that - - - and in this town they have very little competition. Proof of what I am saying is the amount of business they had late Monday night, the worst restaurant night of the week. My mantra applies: It’s the food, stupid! But not these two, they are really smart).

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank RichardSchillen
firehousebbq, Owner at Firehouse BBQ, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Thank you for the review! We have come a long way from back at Octoberfest...and we couldn't have said it any better..keep it simple. It's all about the meat, and although we have great sides and desserts, we know you're not coming out "for the killer potatoe salad..." It's the meat.
We get it. Thanks again for the review, and we hope to see you again soon.