“A wonderful stop for chocolate, gelato or a light meal”
Review of Ghyslain - CLOSED

Ghyslain
Cuisines: French, Indian, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Website is more for the chocolate shop in another Indiana town but in Richmond, IN, there is a bistro/dessert shop that is amazing!!!
Reviewed October 25, 2013

While the Depot District itself is not worth diverting for, Ghyslain's is definitely worth a stop if you want some wonderful light fare, chocolates, pastry or gelato. The connecting store also has plenty of goodies to tempt the visitor. Our spirits picked up considerably after having been let down by the lackluster Depot District.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stopped for lunch with my 2 sisters at this little casual, but elegant restaurant . Wonderful experience ! Sisters enjoyed their delicious chicken salad on croissant. The sandwich was made with large pieces of chicken, great tasting dressing and even had some remaining to take home and share that evening. I ordered the quiche lloraine and it was just the right "light" lunch. The fruit side dish was very tasty and so fresh. Our server was very pleasant and the pastries were little works of art (although, they cost almost as much as our entrees) I just sampled my sisters' desserts, since I had filled up on the quiche and the bread beforehand. Great "special treat" day!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

French food AND a chocolatier...what could be better?

Ok, this isn't the perfect Fine Dining/French Bistro in the world, but it is certainly worth the trip and will provide a memorable evening in Richmond, IN.

I had the pasta with fresh vegetables and it was filing and good--flaws were apparent, but it was a satisfying dish. Everyone at the table enjoyed their dishes in fact. Service was responsive and attentive to detail in this small restaurant--and as in all fine establishments were as invisible or as present as needed. The menu is limited, but the food is good and they altered a dish exactly as requested with no issues. The wine list is good and our choice was excellent.
What a shame it would have been to skip coffee....the tableside french press and assorted accompaniments were sinfully good and I did almost think I was in NYC with all the flourish and attention by waitstaff.
If you can't find something to love in the desert selections, you probably hate Christmas and Birthdays too---it is all amazing and the chocolate array begs for additional carry out.
this is pricey for Richmond, but not pricey for the service, intimate dining size and quality ingredients. I thought some of the preparations missed a beat here and there, but it would not at all prevent me from returning for special celebration evening or perhaps just a nice lunch.
Don't skip the coffee or the desert and you will relish the experience.

1  Thank tuftedtraveler
Reviewed August 31, 2013

The entire dining experience is perfect. The warm French bread with the real butter and the trio of salts starts every meal. I old make this my meal as it is wonderful. I adored the Cobb salad. Everything tasted so freshened the ranch dressing had to be house made. He flavor swerve great. My husband had the meatball pesto sandwich and raved. My sister had the French dip and duck fries. The duck fries are home made fries fried in duck fat. If you like French fries you have got to get these!
We all had gelato for dessert and I would highly recommend it. I had the pear,walnut and blue cheese gelato.

1  Thank Janet S
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I went here twice while working in Richmond this past week. First just for the desserts, and the second time because we found out they had a full lunch and dinner menu.
The pastries were gorgeous, and extremely tasty. I actually trained and worked for several years as a pastry chef and I was jealous of the work the folks at Ghyslain were putting out. I might have to go back to try the gelato which was tempting as well.
The food was also excellent though the presentation wasn't quite up to par with the desserts. We had the French onion soup, French dip sandwich, and an Indian coconut curry stuffed naan, all of which I would happily order again. The flavors were all rich, and well balanced.
They have a decent wine selection though I have to admit, I'm not too picky, but unfortunately are unable to offer beer from the New Boswell Brewery next door which I was really hoping to try.
I thought the prices were very reasonable and I'd highly recommend a trip if you're in the area.