“Nasty and sparsely equipped” 2 of 5 bubbles

Interstate Motel - Rensselaer
Interstate Motel - Rensselaer
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rensselaer
Chicago, Illinois
“Nasty and sparsely equipped”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2011

Stayed here due to dangerous black ice on the highway...I hadn't been in a Knights Inn in a very long time, but remembered they vary a lot. Well this left a lot to be desired. The chain on the door was missing. The ice machine had garbage in it--had to get ice from front desk. Nothing extra in room like shampoo, hair dryer, coffee machine. Basically two grungy beds and a non-working remote. Oh and the faucet had a mind of its own and was difficult to get it to turn on and off, let alone pick your water temperature. It was tolerable in this emergency situation, but I'd never seek it out. and at $53 with AAA discount, ridiculously oveprriced for this small town!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Zeeland, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2010

I swore I would never stay at another Knights Inn motel. I have had two nasty experiences with the chain. These were motels in other parts of the country, but after two bad experiences, I would not have tried this one except for the decent reviews. We are "budget " travelers, so price is important. This seemed one of the lower priced motels near Lafayette, IN (40 miles away). I would rate this motel slightly above average and would stay here again. The rooms were clean, and the night we stayed the surroundings were quiet. The staff was friendly and helpful. This is not a deluxe hotel, but also does not charge a deluxe price --around $60 per night (two people)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Truckboy357
Milwaukee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2010

I was suprised when I opened the door to my room. I expected the worst - especially since the Knights Inn chain had been one I have pretty well crossed off my list after my last (and terrible) experience over five years ago at the one in Murfreesboro, TN. I gave it a shot, though, since reviews on TripAdvisor were on the better side. It paid off.

The room, though VERY basic, was well maintained and felt clean to me. A very nice "under 50 bucks" place to crash fo rthe night. Limited toiletries and a VERY firm mattress - but a good room over all. Staff was friendly, and I was suprised to find out that the room actually does have internet service - something that wasn't there when I made the reservation months in advance. It is good Wifi, too.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Ada, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

This hotel is good for basic accommodations. The staff was quite friendly and welcoming, gave me suggestions for what I could do/see the next day with family (not much but that's not the hotel's fault.)

Accommodations did not include many of the "perks" I've come to expect even in budget-level rooms. No microwave or refrigerator though there was a nice TV. Even though it was not listed, I was pleased to find out that wi-fi WAS available. The furniture looked as though it had seen better days. Still worked for what it was there for, though.

I wish that it had allowed pets - I would have liked to have brought my small dog with me on the trip.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2010

My son and I stayed here on our way to my Grandfathers funeral in Fowler, it was a very clean room, it was quiet at night and the lady at the front desk was very friendly and helpful with directions, if you need somewhere to stay that is affordable then this is a great litte place to stay! its not some fancy high class place if that's what your used to you probably wont like it, but were just everyday people(we love to camp and would have if not for the purpose of our trip needing us to be showered and dressed up) and it was great for us! I woud definately stay here again if the need arised.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2008

Typical Knights Inn. Cheap quality everything but clean, inexpensive, and the small pool was very clean. Share-croppers staying at hotel were grilling in front of their rooms. My understanding is that was a seasonal thing for the corn industry. Wise to ask about this first and tell them you want to be in a section away from all that--for privacy and silence.

Stayed August 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rensselaer
Comfort Suites
Comfort Inn Hebron
#1 of 2 in Hebron
Super 8 Hebron Lowell Area
Red Roof Inn and Suites Kentland

Been to Interstate Motel - Rensselaer? Share your experiences!