“Convenient off interstate”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Portage
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Right off the exit ramp is the hotel. The room has a king bed which was very comfortable and the breakfast had a wide variety of offerings. Only issue was the proximity of the freight train tracks, about a quarter of a mile, that could affect light sleepers. Nice stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 12, 2013

clean room, easy parking,quiet and above all good staff. Recommend!!
The staff were the positive aspect of my stay. Very helpful, informative, efficient, and cheerful!! Simple things but not everywhere in the same chain can say as much

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Staying here for three weeks while training with my employer. Impressed with kindness of staff and comfortability of the room I stayed in. I have read a few reviews about rooms smelling bad, but have spoken with numerous other hotel guests and have heard nothing but raving reviews. They do allow pets, which is a plus for some. Small repairs needed in bathroom, but nothing that effects function or comfort. Very spacious room, great location just down the street from numerous restaurants and markets, close to the highway but not so close that traffic noise is a problem at all. Only drawacks: no pool or hotub, no laundry service. Other than that, I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has not housed a pet recently if you are sensitive to dander or odors. I dont th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed here on Saturday night Aug. 31st. I work for a different hotel chain and I just thought I'd mention a few things that I noticed was wrong. Our room's toilet was running nonstop and luckily we knew how to fix that from happening all night. Our refrigerator was making a god awful sound constantly and in the middle of the night we had to unplug it because it was unbearable. I had went down for breakfast around 8 AM the next morning and there was no place to sit and there was barely enough room to get around people to get some of the food. I will however give kudos to the lady who checked us in on the 31st. She was very nice and helpful. My fiance and his friend also loved hearing the trains go by at night...but if you're not a train lover than maybe bring some earplugs? Overall it was good enough for sleep.

Room Tip: No elevators; bring earplugs because of trains and other odd noises
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This hotel not only has all stairs and no elevators, but it smells terrible. Checkin was the best part. Upon entering room the smell took your breath away. I'm not sure if it was stale smoke or pets, but either way it was bad.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed her one night while traveling thru and the room while appearing clean smelled terrible. My husband thought it was smoke, but i feel it was old pet smell. Either way it was terrible. We travel and stay at marriott hotels and so this was our first time with this chain, and will be our last. The value was not worth the price.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My wife and I have been married for 35 years, and this is the worst hotel we have stayed at.

Here is why:
We booked a jacuzzi room for our 35th anniversary. When we walked in it smelled strongly of smoke, so we told the desk. They gave us the key to the other jacuzzi room. When we entered --it too smelled badly of smoke. They apologized and gave us a standard room. In the morning we had to stand up to eat breakfast (good breakfast) since there are only 4 tables in the small eating area for the entire hotel. Everyone was trying to eat at the same time, since breakfast is done at 9 am--which is early and contributed to the problem. People were trying to eat in the lobby and elsewhere. Very poor. Hotel is right next to a train, so beware light sleepers. If you want to get the luggage cart from outdoors, you have to go up the curb step, because there is only one small handicap ramp that was put in next to a car area. If a car is there--good luck! There is no handicap lowered cement area by the front door.

When we left I asked to have a much lower bull because of the hassles. They said I had to call the manager. When I called the next day to ask for money off from the owner, he was not in when they said he would be, so I called back 3 times. Then I was told he would not be in. Finally one person took $10 off my bill. That is all. I paid $90 for this hassle and disappointment. Avoid this place like the plague. As a Choice Hotel member, I can tell you this does not measure up to the standards of Choice hotels. They should review this hotel and put them on notice that they need to get cleaned up before they can be a Comfort Inn.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portage
Holiday Inn Express Portage
Super 8 Portage
Super 8 Portage
#6 of 12 in Portage
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!