Check in and check out were prompt and courteous. There were cookies for the taking and they brought smiles to the kid's faces.
We got a Family Suite, which in our case, was two twin beds in the main area and one king bed in a separate room. Talk about the perfect set up for our family! The main area also had a small round table and four chairs, a desk and chair, nightstand, drawers, TV, microwave, mini fridge and a sink. The separate bedroom had drawers and TV, nightstands and a small closet. There was also a small closet just inside the room door. It was an excellent floor plan. I wish more hotels offered such rooms and at such a great price. Each sleeping area had it's own climate control too. Nice!
The bathroom was roomy. Plenty of towels. Nice clean shower. There was some mystery sludge in the corners of the bathroom counter (stuff that had accumulated there, no doubt, after countless wipes that didn't clean out the corners).
Bed linens were stained, which is always a turn off. Beds were nice. We knew we would be sleeping on a TP bed and it was comfortable.
The mini fridge door was open when we entered the room so we promptly shut it, but that meant there would be no using the fridge for our stay. It didn't feel cold inside the fridge at all. Bummer because we needed it.
Free WiFi was great. Worked well and wasn't too slow.
Breakfast was an amazing spread. It was busy, busy, busy (a Sunday morning) but they kept it all well stocked and hot. Eggs, ham, all kinds of topping for an omelet, biscuits and gravy, bagels, muffins, toast, juices, cereals, milk, waffles (they even had pumpkin spice batter, yum!), etc etc etc. Lots of good options to choose from to satisfy everyone over and over again.
The place was generally clean and the type of room we got was great. Overall value for the room type and breakfast was phenomenal. Now if we could just do something about those elephants in the room above us...even with earplugs it sounded like they were jumping out of bed at 4am. I can't wait to find a hotel where I cannot hear anyone above us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are located near the the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore and just 1 mile from Portage's Riverwalk beach park. We are a family friendly hotel with a large aquatic center featuring a kiddie pool, hot tub, swimming pool and an arcade area. We offer a great free breakfast every morning that includes fresh homemade waffles, various hot items like sausage and eggs as well as lots of fruits and cereals. We are just 45 minutes from downtown Chicago with great rail service available daily until midnight or later. The famed Lighthouse Outlet mall is less than 20 minutes away as are numerous casinos. Portage is a great place to vacation or just visit. Our beaches are second to none and our people are friendly and always inviting.. The famed Steel Mills of NW Indiana are just minutes away from the hotel so business clients are always welcomed. Specially negotiated rates are available for all contractors and vendors doing business with the mills. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Carlson, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Country Inn And Suites Portage
- Country Inn & Suites Portage Hotel Portage
- Country Inn Portage
- Portage Country Inn