“average to poor - don't waste your time”

LongHorn Steakhouse
Ranked #3 of 83 Restaurants in Portage
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Reviewed April 24, 2013

went here one night because we were staying at the Country Inn and Suites. My partner ordered soup - I ordered a salad with no cucumbers. He got a salad, I got a salad with cucumbers. when they finally brought his soup - it was followed shortly by his meal - so he had them both at the same time. We ordered steaks. I ordered a ribeye. Didn't look like any ribeye I ever saw before - it was cow but that's about all I could confirm. it was also a little chewey.

maybe I am a little too picky, but poor service can be looked over if the food is really good - but if the service is poor and the food is just OK, unless you don't have any other alternative, or just want to go there, I would say go somewhere else.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stopped at Longhorn in the early evening to grab a light dinner before a friend and myself went to another commitment. I ate at this restaurant last week for lunch and wanted to come back. We were seated promptly and given the dinner menu. I asked if I could have something off their lunch menu and they were more than accommodating. I just wanted to say that I have not been disappointed in the quality of the food..it is delicious and the choices of entrees are numerous. The server check with us several times, as did the manager. On a bit less positive note, we felt the timing of service to be "rather slow" and the establishment was "not busy" at the time. They could be a bit more prompt in serving so you didn't have to look for your server and ask, "having any problems with the beef"? Other than the slowness of it all, the food and atmosphere is great.

Mary M.
Hobart, IN

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I recently stopped off here to grab a beer catch up on my e-mail after a day of driving. Stopped in around 5pm on a Tuesday night, and was the only person at the bar when I sat down. Bartender, Mike, was very friendly, and knowledgeable about the local beer they had on draft, which was nice. Over the 45 minutes I was there the restaurant got busier and 2 more folks showed up at the bar, but Mike kept up with bar and restaurant drink orders, and even had time to chat.
Great place to unwind, and I hope to be able to stop for a meal on my next trip through, as the food smelled delicious. Kudos to a chain place for having good, local beer from South Shore Brewery in Michigan City.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We ordered carry out dinner since we were staying at the adjacent Country Inn and Suites. The food was ready in 20 minutes and was really good. There was so much food we ate lunch off the leftovers the next day and still had some left. Great value for the price.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We make a monthly trip from Green Bay to Kalamazoo to see our son and his family. Portage, IN is just over the half way point, perfect place to stop. Have stopped there many times in the past, service during the day was always great. We recently stopped on Friday night, April 5, 2013, and service was awful!! We got to the restaurant at around 8pm. Slow night, not many cars in the parking lot, restaurant was half empty. We sat at the bar, the bartender was distracted. The man next to us, who arrived before us asked for a beer. I then said, we would also like a beer. The bartender told us he was busy with a carryout and that we would have to wait 5 minutes! What was that, 2 staff sitting in the work station can't take care of the carry out, or the bar! We waited 5 minutes and were not offered any service. We then decided to leave. I stopped at the greeter and asked if I could talk with the manager. After waiting another 5 minutes, I decided to leave and not come here again. To bad, in the past the food and service was great! On a Friday night, the bartender of a busy bar is taking care of carry outs, staff sitting around, restaurant half empty, no manager. Sorry, after 4 hours in the car, looking for a little R&R. We went on to Chesterton were we ate ate an Applebee's and had wonderful service and food. Will not stop at Longhorn again!

1  Thank Judy G