“Great value!”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Portage
Quincy, Illinois, United States
“Great value!”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I read some nasty reviews about this place. I usually stay someplace else when I'm in the area but those places were sold out over the holiday weekend. What a pleasant surprise the Super 8 in Portage turned out to be. The staff was really friendly, the hotel was clean, the housekeeping staff were nice, and the location was the best. It's my new destination when I'm in NW Indiana! Nice job.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Brookhaven, Mississippi, United States
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is old, carpet stained, (bring slippers), furniture don't match but didn't bother me. It was clean, comfortable, and staff was friendly. Plenty of restaurant choices that deliver, not just pizza. Hotel can definitely use some renovations. If you're looking for a comfortable place to sleep, a hot shower (great shower heads), and good rates this place is great. Gives CDL discounts also.

• Stayed August 2013
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed August 9, 2013

After having my family in the van for 12 hours, we got here and just surrendered. It appears to be an older property, and seems indifferently maintained, which only adds to the impression of being run down: carpets worn/stained/or filthy, bathroom plaster and caulking deteriorated, and rooms fairly small and beds to match. Being located off the main drag and behind a defunct bar/restaurant doesn't add anything to this hotel's allure.

The AC unit seemed up to date, and the WiFi serviceable. As a place to crash after a long day driving cross-country, this is marginally acceptable. If we were going to stay in the area for longer, I'd be writing this review from a different hotel. I do hope that my wife will eventually forgive me for choosing this place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Portage hotels

Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

After breaking down going to days inn only to be treated like crap and getting kicked out for a dumb reason. We walked here and was treated nice. We spent a week here and nobody treated us bad here. Yea its an older building, but customer service was great and house keeping was really friendly, that is what I look at. The rooms was nice, I stayed in worse. So I will be staying h ere again.

• Stayed July 2013
Des Moines, IA
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Stayed here with friends 4 summers ago (was so dismayed that I didn't even want to see anything *about* the place after the trip). Was on a trip to visit with friends in NW Indiana, go to the Dunes, do a "high-speed" visit of a few Chicago museums.

Well! When we entered the motel, the lobby was dark (and it was daytime, NOT night-time): scarcely any lights on, DARK-paneled walls, and...a horrible, musty smell (and *that* in itself should have clued us in, but...we were tired, and didn't feel like motel-hopping).

The elevator (we had heavy suitcases at the time) smelled of old tobacco smoke, and the yellowed, tobacco-stained walls in the elevator were easy to see) *did* work, however, once we opened the door to our room (2 double beds), we were *sure* that the Super 8 company had decided to "renovate" the entire property, starting with...*our* room:

*None* of the furniture matched (it was a room full of mis-matched, overly-dark, stained, torn, and springs-shot chairs), and it reeked of smoke. (And yes, I had specifically reserved a *NON-smoking* room...) When we checked the bed sheets, they were...wrinkled, the pillows, stained, and visible tears on the bedspreads. The lightbulbs were 40-watt (if that), and I remembered how my mother used to say, "Take your own lightbulbs for reading, if you stay at some motels!" So much for trying to read our maps!

The *only* "plus" to the room? There out the 2nd floor window, looking south, was a row of tall, gorgeous, leafy trees! That was "it", as far as anything pleasant about the place!

We discussed trying to find another location, but not having a smart phone or a laptop with us, were at a loss, and felt genuinely "stuck". (We even considered sleeping overnight in the car, but having heard from local residents before our trip about the area -- *after* having reserved the room -- we thought it safer/wiser to just "stay put".

After returning home, we found small red marks...especially by our ankles/ankles to knees: Some kind of infestation was *definitely* part of our "bargain" at this Super 8 room, and it was *horrible*! (Not sure if it was fleas in the carpet, or bedbugs in the sheets, etc.)

If took a looong, looong time before we even wanted to *think* about ever staying at a Super 8 again!

p.s. Who knows? Maybe the company *has* finally spruced up this location? But...upon driving past it a year or so ago, it didn't look improved, and the vehicles parked there looked as run-down and nearly as useful as the room where we had stayed the year before. (The drop-down menu does not permit me to show the actual month and year, so I'll pick *this* May.)

Room Tip: There are *many* semi-trucks whose drivers must stay here -- or perhaps they have special permission...