“Great Central Location”

Holiday Inn Express Portage
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Portage
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I was working in Lake Station and Burns Harbor. The hotel is located right in the middle. I really enjoyed the stay. The hotel was quiet and very clean. The breakfast was warm and delicious.The staff was very friendly and professional.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
PortageHIE, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portage, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Dear Mark S,

Thank you so very much for sharing your hotel experience with us! I am so glad that your stay was pleasurable. I am sure that having a clean and quiet room is a huge priority when you travel for a living. I am also glad you enjoyed our breakfast and hope you were able to enjoy our signature cinnamon rolls or pancakes. Our staff takes pride in making sure each guest has a memorable stay. We thank you for your kind words and welcome you back to Holiday Inn Express Portage whenever your in the neighborhood!

Warm Regards,

Holiday Inn Express Portage Management & Staff

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed at the hotel while traveling between Chicago and South Bend. The hotel is conveniently accessible from the highway and was a good fit for my trip. My overall view of the hotel itself is that it's average for this class of property. The room was acceptable but will need some renovation before too long. It was clean as were the public spaces in the hotel and the bed was comfortable. The staff definitely was the best part of my stay they were all very friendly. We also enjoyed the breakfast which had a good selection. I have to agree with other reviewers about noise. I'm a light sleeper and heard the trains and doors slamming at times during the night. I wanted to set the AC fan to run constantly but that button didn't work - it only ran when cooling. Despite that, I had a reasonable night sleep as the bed was comfortable. If I need to stay in this area in the future, I'd consider returning to the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
PortageHIE, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portage, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Dear JNFinlex,

I am pleased that you were able to relax comfortably on our Sealy pillow top mattress. I am also glad you enjoyed our wide ranged breakfast. Your comments about the staff are very much appreciated as they work very hard to make sure every guest's experience is memorable! I am very sorry about the noise you experienced from the trains and slamming doors. This is an issue that all of the hotels in the area have to endure. For our light sleepers we do provide complimentary plush earplugs. Thank you for sharing your hotel experience with us and we would love to have you back as a guest when you are back in the Portage area!

Warm Regards,

Staff and Management Team of Holiday Inn Express Portage

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We didn't actually stay at this Holiday Inn Express but I had to write a review for this hotel. We came in very late (past 1 a.m.) on a road trip needing some rest, only to find the hotel was full. We exchanged exhausted looks but before we said a thing the receptionist was cheerfully assuring us to not worry. She got on the phone instead of shrugging and sending us away like other places might (and have!). She called a neighboring hotel which was equally as nice and she not only got us a suite but a discount since it was so late. We drove down the road and enjoyed a pleasant stay at the Country Inn and Suites agreeing that service was equally good where we stayed as well as at the Holiday Inn Express! We would stop here again based on the customer-friendly approach alone! Thanks!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank meganp909
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The people at Portage were very friendly and courteous and though the hotel is just the slightest bit outdated it was very clean. The bed was comfortable. Breakfast was typical Holiday Inn Express food. I wouldn't say better than any other Holiday Inn Express but I also wouldn't say worse. It was average. The train tracks, however, are only about 1/4 to 1/3 mile away and the trains run all night long! If you are sensitive to noise you will hear the train whistles, as well as the engines -- ALL NIGHT LONG . Had we know about the proximity of the train tracks we would have chosen differently, but it never occured to us that this would be an issue. Also, we spent a night at the Holiday Inn at Carmel the night before and it was $89.00 for a room (a much nicer hotel, with much more updated rooms, great staff and fantastic food - and no trains nearby) and this one was $124.00 for a king room that was smaller, so the value wasn't there for us.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise (i.e. trains running all night long close to the hotel -- train whistl...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank laa002
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portage, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear laa002,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. We are pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel and apologize if your stay was negatively affected by the outside noise issues you have encountered. We appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and we hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed here the last night of a 9-night vacation. We checked in at about midnight after a long day of driving (had to carry the kids in). Our room was large enough, clean, had the nice conveniences (fridge, microwave, coffee maker), and actually had the best view from the window of any of our stays! Let's hear it for trees and nature for a window view instead of broken toilets out back and gravel pits!

The real fun was the following morning. Mary and her coworker put on the best breakfast we had in 9 mornings! Pancakes, cereal, scrambled eggs and bacon, biscuits and gravy, scrumptious cinnamon rolls, fruit, yogurt, toast, muffins... The breakfast room was hopping on a Saturday morning and these two ladies kept everything well-stocked, neat, orderly, and were SO PLEASANT! They cheerfully helped my kids with pancakes and finding butter, etc. Above and beyond customer service!

The location is super convenient for those exiting the tollway. The property is clean, well-maintained, and the staff is top-notch!

Stay here!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank roadlesstraveled76
David R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portage, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

roadlesstraveled76,

On behalf of myself and my staff, I would like to thank you for this great review! There is no better feeling than starting my day by reading a review like this, especially when it is about my staff!

I am very excited to see that we were one of your favorite stops on your trip! Having traveled a bit myself, I know the feeling you get when you've had a long day of driving and just want to stop someplace quiet and comfortable for the night. It's nice to know we were able to offer that to you!

I do want to thank you for recognizing Mary and our other Breakfast Bar attendant for their outstanding service during your visit. Working the Breakfast Bar is more fast-paced and challenging than some may realize, however Mary is seasoned and so are the other attendants. They are regularly recognized for their hard work and great service. I will be sure to share you kind words with them right away!

Again, thank you for this review and for sharing your comments about our team. When our staff are recognized like that, it really makes what we all do here that much more rewarding! Please visit again the next time you're on a trip through our area!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed here on our way from NY to Wisconsin. We are a family of 6 and love hotels that can accommodate us in one room. Plus we have a dog. The room was a great size for our family and very clean. We also used the fitness room. Had a treadmill, elliptical and a weight machine. There was a pool that looked nice but we didn't use it. Had a nice breakfast. The staff was very friendly and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ChrisK29
David R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portage, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

ChrisK29,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review! I was very excited to see we had another new review come in this week, especially after I read your great comments!

I am very pleased to see that our hotel was able to accommodate you and your family, especially considering that you have a pet. Being one of the only pet friendly hotels in our area gives us an edge in being able to accommodate a variety of travelers and their needs!

I am also very happy to see that you were able to enjoy almost all of the amenities we have to offer, from the complimentary hot breakfast, to the 24-hour fitness center! It's also good to see that your room was clean and welcoming and comfortably fit your whole family.

The most important thing you mentioned was our staff! We have worked so hard to build a culture of service and friendliness and our staff has done a great job of delivering both to our guests!

Thank you again for this great review of your stay! We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel when you visit Portage again in the future!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

very accommodating staff and everybody bent over backwards just to make sure we're (4 kids+ 2 adults) pleased. We stayed two days in August. I highly recommend this hotel. David the general manager picked the right team. Laura and Tracy went the extra mile.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank f4plus2

f4plus2,

Thank you very much for posting this great review! I cannot explain how great it feels when we get reviews like this, but I have to tell you it is a very rewarding feeling!

I really appreciate you recognizing our staff for their efforts, especially Laura and Tracy. Myself and my management team have worked very hard to build a strong team at our hotel and we have been extremely happy with the results of those efforts. The success of any hotel lies in the hands of the staff, and I can say with great confidence that we will continue to be successful moving forward!

Again, thank you for your kind words. I have posted this review for all of our staff to see so they know their hard work is paying off! Please be sure to visit again when you're in Portage again!

David Rains

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portage
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage
Hilton Garden Inn Chesterton
Super 8 Portage
Super 8 Portage
#8 of 12 in Portage

Been to Holiday Inn Express Portage? Share your experiences!