“Great Staff make an even better stay”

Holiday Inn Express Portage
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Portage
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

We had just come from 4 days of camping so maybe that affected our perception but the Holiday Inn was great. We arrived before check in and Danielle was very helpful offering to store our bags and making sightseeing recommendations. The room was very nice as expected and the pool was just the right size. Ashley recommended a wonderful cheap local restaurant. After a good night sleep Mary was wonderful on the morning buffet and kept everyone in good cheer.

Overall it was a great stay!

• Stayed: July 2013
David R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portage, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

rwdawtravel,

We would like to extend a big thanks to you for sharing this review of your experience with us! It is always very rewarding to receive such positive feedback from guests!

After a few days of camping, it was probably a nice change of pace to have a comfortable hotel to relax and unwind in! I am very pleased to see that your guestroom met your needs and that you enjoyed the pool while you were with us!

Most importantly, I want to thank you for recognizing our staff members, Danielle, Ashley, and Mary for their individual roles in your experience here. We have worked very hard to build a great team at our hotel, and they are definitely important members of that team and help us deliver outstanding guest service! I will be sure to share your comments with them as soon as I can!

Again, thank you for this review. We hope that the next time you are looking for a break from camping or are traveling through the area, you choose to stay with our hotel again!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

If you are traveling from East, this s a good option to sleep before Chicago. Also, a good option if you can't find accommodation when you are going for shopping in Michigan City. The hotel is descent, close from Highway and couple miles from Chicago. We had our dog and it was perfect for him. No extra charges. Good breakfast and service. 4 stars because the carpets need Reno, but not a big deal.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JTravellerBR
David R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portage, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

JTravellerBR,

A big thanks for sharing this excellent review of our hotel! It is very rewarding to receive such great feedback from our guests and I will certainly share yours with the members of our staff!

I appreciate you mentioning how well our location works for guests looking to travel west into Chicago or over into Michigan City for a day of shopping! We frequently have guests that choose to stay with us to avoid the craziness of downtown Chicago as well as the often high hotel prices.

One aspect about your review that I did want to address to make clear is that, although we are pet-friendly, there typically is a $35.00 pet fee in addition to the normal room charges. I just wanted to clear up any confusion regarding this for future guests looking to book with our hotel and bring their pets along. As one of the only hotels in Portage that allows pets, this is a big benefit to guests looking to travel with their furry companions!

Again, I want to thank you for sharing this review. Please be sure to visit again the next time you're looking to spend some time in Chicago!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Portage, IN recently for one night. The front desk staff and breakfast attendants were very helpful and efficient. However, the property is in need of an upgrade. Some of the bathroom wall tile grout was loose, carpeting stained in the room, etc. The business center (one PC) is "shoe-horned" into the entrance of the breakfast area. At 8AM guests were waiting for a seat in the breakfast area. The property is closer to the tollway than the 80/94 expressway. Room AC and wireless internet service were no problem.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms face west which is the parking lot side.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Mikejack52,

Thank you for taking the time to share this review of our hotel here on TripAdvisor! We very much enjoy feedback from our guests, especially when they have identified areas where we can make improvements to better our operation for future guests.

As you noted, our hotel certainly is not the newest or shiniest in Portage. At 14 years old this year, we are beginning to show signs of age and are aware that a refresh is becoming more necessary. Fortunately, we have an outstanding housekeeping and maintenance staff that work very hard to keep our hotel clean and in good condition, despite our age. I can assure you we will continue to work hard to ensure a clean and welcoming hotel experience for every guest!

I would also like to thank you for your kind words regarding our Front Desk and Breakfast staff. These areas of our hotel are very important because they involve very crucial guest interaction. We are very fortunate to have such friendly and service-oriented staff members on our team to make the check-in/checkout and complimentary breakfast experiences so great!

Again, thank you for sharing your review! We all look forward to another chance to welcome you back the next time you visit Portage!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hotel is located about 45min outside of Chicago close to 2 major freeways. Lots of restuarants and retail shopping about 5 miles away. Nice breakfast as usual from Holiday Inn Express but unfortunately they didn't have any fruit...that is a BIG bummer for me!! Both the pool & fitness room was small but adequate for me and my sons needs.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

2cmoose,

I want to thank you for sharing this great review of your experience at our hotel! Online reviews from guests are very important these days, so it is especially exciting when we receive reviews like yours!

I am happy to see that our location worked well for your visit to our area! Being so close to two major routes to Chicago, the Indiana Toll Road to Chicago Skyway and I-80/94 Expressway make us a perfect stop on your way to the city. Also, as you've noted, the city of Portage has added some new restaurants and shopping locations, which make it easier for guests to stay close when their looking for things to do.

Regarding your breakfast experience, I am very sorry that fruit was not available during the time you were down in the breakfast room. It is a Holiday Inn Express standard that we make fresh fruit available every day and unfortunately we experienced a shortage one morning. We have taken steps to prevent this and have had fruit available every morning since!

On behalf of all of my staff, we thank you again for this review! We look forward to having you again the next time you are looking to visit Chicago!

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Christine was very helpful and accommodating. She quickly checked us in and made sure we were comfortable. The next morning the general manager Dave even helped me get something printed and scanned. The service at this hotel was excellent. Just what I needed after a long day of driving.

• Stayed: July 2013
David R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portage, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Lovetohavefun22308,

I would like to extend a big thank you for completing this great review of our hotel! As I've said before, we always welcome feedback of any kind from our guests, however we love to see feedback like this!

I am very pleased to see that our auditor, Kris, was so helpful for you during your arrival! It's great to see when our associates are recognized for their efforts and I have already made sure to share this great review with her! I'm also pleased to see that myself, personally, was able to lend assistance. I recall helping with the scanning (with some technical difficulties of course!) and it was certainly my pleasure to assist!

Again, thank you on behalf of all of our staff for this review! We all look forward to having you again when you're traveling through our area in the future!

Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here for one night on our way out west. The property is located off I90/80. It was an ideal location for us. The room was clean but a little worn. The hotel was full the night we stayed so obviously it does well with its great location. The breakfast was the usual HIE assortment. Tracy, the attendant, did a fabulous job keeping all items stocked. For a quick stop this hotel worked well and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013
David R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portage, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Mailcommando,

Thank you for this great review! We really enjoy hearing back from our guests, especially when they mention one of our staff for their outstanding work!

I'm very happy to see that our location worked out well for you as a stopping point on your way out West. Being so close to the Indiana Toll Road and I-80/I-94 Expressway make it very easy for guests to stop in for the night and hit the road quickly as easily!

I also wish to extend a very big thank you for recognizing Tracy from breakfast. Tracy is definitely an asset to our hotel and helps out just about anywhere we need her, especially in the breakfast room. We regularly get positive feedback from guests about her hard word, so this comes as no surprise to us! I will make sure to pass along your kind words!

Thanks again for the review! We hope to see you again when your passing back through Portage!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

When we walked in the door, Michole greats you at the front desk with a warm welcome. It sets up a nice room with a comfortable bed. Nice flat screen TV. Breakfast on a busy Saturday morning was handled flawlessly. The breakfast ladies took care of everyone with hot, fresh food.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Fortyplusoutayear
David R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portage, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Fortyplusoutayear,

Thank you for sharing this great review about our hotel! It's always a nice feeling when a guest takes the time to share such positive feedback with us, especially public reviews for other potential guests to see!

I want to thank you for specifically identifying Michole from our front desk and also our breakfast team for their great service and hard work. All of these members work very hard to deliver great service to our guests and it is great to see them receive recognition!

We all look forward to you having you back here the next time you travel to Portage! Thanks again for the review!

David Rains

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portage
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage
#7 of 12 in Portage
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Porter

Been to Holiday Inn Express Portage? Share your experiences!