“Needs an Upgrade”

Holiday Inn Express Portage
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Portage
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Portage, IN recently for one night. The front desk staff and breakfast attendants were very helpful and efficient. However, the property is in need of an upgrade. Some of the bathroom wall tile grout was loose, carpeting stained in the room, etc. The business center (one PC) is "shoe-horned" into the entrance of the breakfast area. At 8AM guests were waiting for a seat in the breakfast area. The property is closer to the tollway than the 80/94 expressway. Room AC and wireless internet service were no problem.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms face west which is the parking lot side.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
David R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portage, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Mikejack52,

Thank you for taking the time to share this review of our hotel here on TripAdvisor! We very much enjoy feedback from our guests, especially when they have identified areas where we can make improvements to better our operation for future guests.

As you noted, our hotel certainly is not the newest or shiniest in Portage. At 14 years old this year, we are beginning to show signs of age and are aware that a refresh is becoming more necessary. Fortunately, we have an outstanding housekeeping and maintenance staff that work very hard to keep our hotel clean and in good condition, despite our age. I can assure you we will continue to work hard to ensure a clean and welcoming hotel experience for every guest!

I would also like to thank you for your kind words regarding our Front Desk and Breakfast staff. These areas of our hotel are very important because they involve very crucial guest interaction. We are very fortunate to have such friendly and service-oriented staff members on our team to make the check-in/checkout and complimentary breakfast experiences so great!

Again, thank you for sharing your review! We all look forward to another chance to welcome you back the next time you visit Portage!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hotel is located about 45min outside of Chicago close to 2 major freeways. Lots of restuarants and retail shopping about 5 miles away. Nice breakfast as usual from Holiday Inn Express but unfortunately they didn't have any fruit...that is a BIG bummer for me!! Both the pool & fitness room was small but adequate for me and my sons needs.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

2cmoose,

I want to thank you for sharing this great review of your experience at our hotel! Online reviews from guests are very important these days, so it is especially exciting when we receive reviews like yours!

I am happy to see that our location worked well for your visit to our area! Being so close to two major routes to Chicago, the Indiana Toll Road to Chicago Skyway and I-80/94 Expressway make us a perfect stop on your way to the city. Also, as you've noted, the city of Portage has added some new restaurants and shopping locations, which make it easier for guests to stay close when their looking for things to do.

Regarding your breakfast experience, I am very sorry that fruit was not available during the time you were down in the breakfast room. It is a Holiday Inn Express standard that we make fresh fruit available every day and unfortunately we experienced a shortage one morning. We have taken steps to prevent this and have had fruit available every morning since!

On behalf of all of my staff, we thank you again for this review! We look forward to having you again the next time you are looking to visit Chicago!

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Christine was very helpful and accommodating. She quickly checked us in and made sure we were comfortable. The next morning the general manager Dave even helped me get something printed and scanned. The service at this hotel was excellent. Just what I needed after a long day of driving.

• Stayed: July 2013
David R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portage, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Lovetohavefun22308,

I would like to extend a big thank you for completing this great review of our hotel! As I've said before, we always welcome feedback of any kind from our guests, however we love to see feedback like this!

I am very pleased to see that our auditor, Kris, was so helpful for you during your arrival! It's great to see when our associates are recognized for their efforts and I have already made sure to share this great review with her! I'm also pleased to see that myself, personally, was able to lend assistance. I recall helping with the scanning (with some technical difficulties of course!) and it was certainly my pleasure to assist!

Again, thank you on behalf of all of our staff for this review! We all look forward to having you again when you're traveling through our area in the future!

Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here for one night on our way out west. The property is located off I90/80. It was an ideal location for us. The room was clean but a little worn. The hotel was full the night we stayed so obviously it does well with its great location. The breakfast was the usual HIE assortment. Tracy, the attendant, did a fabulous job keeping all items stocked. For a quick stop this hotel worked well and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013
David R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portage, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Mailcommando,

Thank you for this great review! We really enjoy hearing back from our guests, especially when they mention one of our staff for their outstanding work!

I'm very happy to see that our location worked out well for you as a stopping point on your way out West. Being so close to the Indiana Toll Road and I-80/I-94 Expressway make it very easy for guests to stop in for the night and hit the road quickly as easily!

I also wish to extend a very big thank you for recognizing Tracy from breakfast. Tracy is definitely an asset to our hotel and helps out just about anywhere we need her, especially in the breakfast room. We regularly get positive feedback from guests about her hard word, so this comes as no surprise to us! I will make sure to pass along your kind words!

Thanks again for the review! We hope to see you again when your passing back through Portage!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

When we walked in the door, Michole greats you at the front desk with a warm welcome. It sets up a nice room with a comfortable bed. Nice flat screen TV. Breakfast on a busy Saturday morning was handled flawlessly. The breakfast ladies took care of everyone with hot, fresh food.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Fortyplusoutayear
David R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portage, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Fortyplusoutayear,

Thank you for sharing this great review about our hotel! It's always a nice feeling when a guest takes the time to share such positive feedback with us, especially public reviews for other potential guests to see!

I want to thank you for specifically identifying Michole from our front desk and also our breakfast team for their great service and hard work. All of these members work very hard to deliver great service to our guests and it is great to see them receive recognition!

We all look forward to you having you back here the next time you travel to Portage! Thanks again for the review!

Reviewed May 4, 2013

great hotel experience clean ,breakfast area , inside pool fitness area and best of all the staff were just great ,from the ladies at the breakfast area always took great care of all of us , we were a group about 30 staying there for at least 17 days just luv them ..enjoyed the stay, and would return ..my hats off to the holiday inn express Staff..

Room Tip: dont forget to ask for anything extra if u needed
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

mamaroadie,

Thank you very much for posting this great review of your experience at our hotel! Our staff will be very excited to see this review and know that their hard work is paying off!

I especially thank you for mentioning the quality of service that our staff delivered in all areas of our hotel. In my short time with this property, I have already found that we have an outstanding team working at our hotel and I am very proud their efforts!

Hopefully we will have a chance to host you and your group here again in the future! Thanks again for the review!

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Great access to interstates. Not too noisy, but nearby railroads do have nightime runs. (ALL nearby hotels are near railroads.) Small pool, exercise room. Guest laundry, just buy the soap. Nice, helpful staff. Larger breakfast buffet than usual. All made for a pleasant stay. Many local restaurants and stores nearby.

Room Tip: Railroad is on the main entrance side. You can hear the airhorns for a few minutes while they are pa...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
David R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portage, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

BobsBeenThereToo,

I would like to thank you for posting such a great review of our hotel! It is very rewarding for our staff to see this kind of feedback from our guests; it reminds them that their hard work is paying off!

I am very pleased that you were able to enjoy nearly all of our amenities. Also, our proximity to the local restaurants and shopping has always been a strong asset of ours!

Thank you again! Our team looks forward to having you back for a visit in the future!