“Noisy!”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Portage
Fouke, Arkansas, United States
“Noisy!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

Beware if your room is on the end where the night club is because you won't be able to sleep. The music booming from the night club next door will shake you out of your bed. No rest for the weary or anyone else.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lanita S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portage, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear Lanita S,

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience with us. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am sorry you did not enjoy your overall experience with us due to the outside noise. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service. For that reason, your comments are troubling and I will make sure that this will be looked into. Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope you would give us a chance to serve you again and make your stay as best as it can be.

Zelyn N
IHG Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Paola, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

Excellent service for special requests. Very friendly and accommodating staff. Delicious breakfast with lots of variety. Comfortable beds and bedding. Pool is tiny. Would stay here again with no hesitation.

• Stayed July 2012
Midlothian, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stayed one night with my husband and 2 kids. We were given a room on the 3rd floor. We were unaware until we arrived on the 3rd floor after taking a very slow elevator up, that 1/2 the floor is smoking. (smoking inside will end at end of July 2012). Well we were 1 room away from the smoking rooms. So let's just call it passive smoking...after a couple attempts were were finally given another room on a different floor.

We also were not told that there is a very active railroad that runs behind the hotel with trains going by at 11 pm, 2 am, and also 4 am. Try to get a room on the front side.

The hotel could use some updates and was pretty dated. But the hotel manager helped us out and moved us to the non smoking floor, so I was thankful for her help.

Room Tip: Get a room on the front side of the hotel away from the train tracks!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portage, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Dear mskimt,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I'm glad the manager was able to assist you and move you to a room that met your expectations. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I would like to offer a sincere apology for the inconvenience the outside noise had caused you. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Jaime W
IHGCare
Durham, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

Beds were comfortable and clean...but housekeeping failed to provide shampoo and soap for the 2nd and 3rd nights of our stay...came back 3rd night after being out all day and housekeeping had not been to change out towels or make beds...they were courteous about getting it readied, but still no shampoo and bar soap. The smoke from 3rd floor rooms permeate the "non-smoking"rooms on the 2nd floor. This particular HI Express falls way below the franchise standard in cleanliness and basic housekeeping.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

There are not a huge amount of choices in this area. There was so much air freshened deodorant (to cover up smoke?) in the room, that I had a hard time breathing. I asked for a room with no deodorizers, air fresheners, or smoke upon check-in.

I had to meet friends in Chicago, and didn't have time to request another room, or I would've risked missing my train. Thought I'd see when I returned if there was a vacant room to which I could switch. I returned around midnight only to find the front doors of the hotel locked. it turns out they were completely booked for the night. The front desk clerk must have heard me standing in front of the doors wondering what was going on, and opened the door for me.

The room was in need of renovation, and I had trouble breathing the entire night due to the horrible air fresher/Lysol/deodorant smelling stuff they used. I tried opening the windows, blowing in outside air, fanning the door to the corridor to help remove the smell, but nothing worked.

• Stayed June 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portage, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear ibickford,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. I am glad you chose the Holiday Inn Express Portage as your hotel preference. It is our regret that you were not satisfied with your room accommodation. We want our guests to have a relaxing and enjoyable stay. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused by the scent of the air freshener. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Lera M
IHGCare
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel overnight with my two kids and husband. The rooms are clean, beds are comfortable, and the free breakfast in the morning was very good. The pool is a tad small but that seems to be the norm for indoor hotel pools. Overall the stay was nice and I would recommend this hotel to others

• Stayed June 2012
Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

2 significant things to be aware of, detailed below. One the hotel could control, one they can't. Other than that a fine place to stay and what you'd expect from a HIE.

The hallways outside the 3rd floor non-smoking rooms reek heavily of smoke. The room was fine and clean and fresh, but open the room door and wow, its terrible. From the signs outside the doors it looks like 2/3rds of the 3rd floor are non-smoking and 1/3 are smoking - divided by the elevator location. But the hall smells real bad. As this was noticeable even at 3 PM with 5 cars total in the parking lots (i.e, nearly empty building) so I don't think its smoke in the air from other rooms - seems more like it might be permanently engrained in the carpet, ceiling tiles or wallpaper and might persist until they are replaced.. Others in our party also complained about smoke smell in the elevator but I didn't notice that. Again, the room itself was fine.

The other item to be aware of is the constant train whistle noise. Apparently ever train has to whistle 5 times as it comes through town? Every other hotel nearby would be affected by this also so not anything unique to HIE. Some were as often as every 20 mins. All night too (but not as often). The A/C noise partially masks it and makes it close to tolerable. But without the A/C on it kept us up.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portage, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Traveler1234Missouri,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm truly pleased you liked our hotel and your room accommodation. We always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience the unusual smell of the hallways and outside noise caused you. We will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guest in the future.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for again for your feedback, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Zelyn N.
IHG Care
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portage
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage
#1 of 1 in Porter
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#8 of 10 in Portage

Been to Holiday Inn Express Portage? Share your experiences!