“No surprises, no disappointments”

Holiday Inn Express Portage
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Portage
Cincinnati Ohio
“No surprises, no disappointments”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I stayed for an overnight at this Holiday Inn Express in April. The reservation was correct, check in very quick, room clean and large enough. I found it much like most HIE's... it was what I expected with nothing particularly memorable. I wasn't looking to be wowed, just accommodated. I looked at many options in the Merrillville/Portage area and so many had bad reviews. My top priorities for a simple overnight are...clean, reservation right, no unpleasant surprises. This hotel met my expectations.

Room Tip: Frequent trains passing nearby add to the "flavor".
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank pawwap

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on a whim as we grew tired of driving on a long trip. The staff were courteous at check-in... Initially they gave us a room with a king on the second floor, but then ran outside as we were getting our bags to say they'd made a mistake and that we'd be on the first floor. This was fine as we preferred the main level anyway.

The room was nice and clean and the bed was comfortable with two different pillows per side. It had a fridge and microwave which is normally difficult to find for $100 a night. We were too tired to swim or anything but the free wifi came in handy. The hot breakfast with cinnamon rolls, sausages, eggs, etc was above average and an excellent bonus.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maritimer89
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed December 24, 2011

Stayed here using points. So, didn't have to pay $100 plus taxes. We stayed here basically to sleep. Beds were adequate, slept on better and slept on worse. They have "firm" and "soft" pillows to choose from. Pool is for kids to splash around in, not for lap swimming. "Workout Room" consists of a treadmill, eltiptical machine, and a weight machine. Fairly basic but has enough for the basics.

Breakfast consisted of variety a of coffees, bagels, pre made omelets, bacon, bread, gravy/biscuits, cold cereal, oatmeal, cinnamon rolls, and a few other misc. Items Being a Holiday Inn Express, I was impressed.

Overall, staff was very friendly and hospitable. Coming from California, I'm used to a more diverse population. Being the Midwest, this area is not diverse.

Pretty decent hotel a few minute off I-94!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 12, 2011

When traveling for business, which is quite often, I stay at Holiday Inn Express facilities 99% of the time. My recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express, Portage, Michigan was exceptional, however.
The smiling, courteous staff and the accomodations were surperb. The heater/AC unit was the quietest I've had in a LONG time. I could hardly hear it during the night as it cycled on and off. The room was impecablly clean, quiet and comfortable. The comforter on the bed was the best and warmest I've had the pleasure of sleeping under - I WANT ONE OF MY OWN!
As with most HI Express hotels, the one-piece bathtubs creak and squeak when you bathe. This one DID NOT! The curtain bar was at the right height - most of them aren't - and no water got on to the floor because of it. Good construction management here.
The Internet actually worked and worked well! And the television was new and up to date and, well, what else can I say, but a pleasant night's stay to say the least.
Thanks again, to the staff and management.

One of the finest stays I've had in a long time.
KUDOs to the staff and management for a well-maintained and pleasurable experience.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank lthrnkgunny
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Well pleased with friendly, helpful staff. Breakfast is excellent especially with addition of new pancake maker. Rooms are dingy and mine doesn't smell fresh. Elevator smells strongly of smoke.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Ice999
Carlinville, Illinois
Reviewed August 24, 2011

This hotel was very nice. It was easy on and off the interstate. The rooms were clean, and quiet. The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. They suggested a restaurant for us and gave easy directions to it. The continental breakfast was very good and had a good selection to choose from. The price was right and we would stay there again if we are in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Al P
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We usually stop in Ilinois or Michigan, but I took a chance on a new stopover.
The hotel seemed off the beaten track, but it is close to the toll route, not I94. I cashed in some Priority Club points for our stay, but I wasn't treated like they knew I was getting a 'freebee'. I was greeted as a PC member, and was given one of the larger 'upgraded' rooms. They are renovating all of the rooms but the TVs are not flat panel 'yet'. This isn't a big deal for us, any TV is fine. The room had a fridge and a microwave, sofa and sitting area. It was very quiet and not too far from the dunes beaches. The hotel pool was really small, so we didn't bother to swim.
The room was large and clean. I asked the staff where to order pizza and they recommended the Pizza Shack. The breadsticks were well worth it. For less than 15$ we got a pizza breadsticks and pop, and even had leftover cold pizza for the ride home.
We will likely stop here again.
NOTE one end of the hotel is smoking, so if this bothers you, ask for a room far enough away, we only noticed the 'smokey' smell as we got off the elevator, our room was fine.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank IA_Canuck
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portage
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage
#1 of 1 in Porter
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#8 of 10 in Portage

Been to Holiday Inn Express Portage? Share your experiences!