“Great staff! Quiet location”

Holiday Inn Express Portage
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Portage
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Great staff! Quiet location”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We usually stop in Ilinois or Michigan, but I took a chance on a new stopover.
The hotel seemed off the beaten track, but it is close to the toll route, not I94. I cashed in some Priority Club points for our stay, but I wasn't treated like they knew I was getting a 'freebee'. I was greeted as a PC member, and was given one of the larger 'upgraded' rooms. They are renovating all of the rooms but the TVs are not flat panel 'yet'. This isn't a big deal for us, any TV is fine. The room had a fridge and a microwave, sofa and sitting area. It was very quiet and not too far from the dunes beaches. The hotel pool was really small, so we didn't bother to swim.
The room was large and clean. I asked the staff where to order pizza and they recommended the Pizza Shack. The breadsticks were well worth it. For less than 15$ we got a pizza breadsticks and pop, and even had leftover cold pizza for the ride home.
We will likely stop here again.
NOTE one end of the hotel is smoking, so if this bothers you, ask for a room far enough away, we only noticed the 'smokey' smell as we got off the elevator, our room was fine.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank IA_Canuck

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Stayed here last minute when our house wasnt ready. We asked for and received a non-smoking room on a non-smoking floor. Unfortunately the only thing that qualified it as non smoking was the little signs proclaiming the fact the room and hallway were so heavily smoke laden we both woke up with sore throats.
Aside from that obvious failure the rest of the hotel and our stay was fine. The room was large and clean, the bathroom was nice and the bed was comfy. there was a 21" tube style TV that we found hilarious and probably needs replacing if Holiday Inn Express is going to continue marketing as a moderate upscale property.
The breakfast was large and typical of what you would expect and the staff was very friendly.
Aside from the fact they need to fumigate the nonsmoking rooms to rid them of smoke this would have been a great stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed August 3, 2011

great staff, crisp and clean sheets, comfy beds, sparkly clean bathroom, good internet service, very good breakfast. no complaints!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 21, 2011

There's a railroad junction near the hotel that requires the several trains that go through each night to sound their horns for long intervals. The "constant on" setting for the air conditioner units isn't as helpful as it appears -- the AC unit cycles on and off with more noise than the level of the fan. The staff person on duty when we needed to switch rooms because the AC unit stopped working was not particularly interested in being helpful. We were in the hotel for three days -- during that entire time the ice machines on the second and third floors were not functioning. The pool was tiny, and the breakfast area was way too small for the number of people trying to eat there. This was our first stay at an HIE -- also our last.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed April 23, 2011

Cashed in some PC points for this room. This property needed to do some convincing to win me over, but they certainly did. I was quite disappointed with our room (309). It was below the standard I expect from HIX. Yes, they have a new bed, so that is good. But the rest of the room has very cheap furniture intermixed with very old stuff that probably has stuck around since this place was a HI property. Also, the carpet is pretty dirty. The room looks bare and sort of institutional, as do the bathrooms. I read some reviews saying they have renovated rooms and I just can't seem to figure out if this room is renovated. Newish furniture and bed, but oldish looking carpet? Still, overall, the place comes off as sub-par for HIX.

But the sleep and the service won me over. They are very friendly and when we showed up a little late for breakfast, there was not much left. So they made us some extra meat and eggs, even though they would not be ready until breakfast was officially over. So, overall, they get a recommendation.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alwayssummer82
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Joanie was really great to us the whole time we were there. Definitely the sort of friendliness and helpfulness that I've come to expect from HIE. We really liked the pool toys being available, and my son thought the pancake machine was especially fun. The overall experience was good until the very end where they fell short by hurrying us out the door (we had requested late checkout, one of the perqs of the hotel club, and had been given the okay and then told that morning that they were not permitting late checkouts that day) and then not calling us as they said they would to follow up on the matter detailed below.

The last night we were there, the water coming from the tap was salty. We contacted the front desk who got maintenance right away. From my vantage point in the pool, I was able to see him scurrying about working hard to get the problem fixed. What I didn't appreciate was the following morning and next day the manager and other staff acting like we has imagined the whole thing -- saying things like "We tasted the water and it was fine." Yeah, it was fixed by then. No one went into the room (my husband was there the whole time) to taste the water at the time. It seemed from what I observed that he knew what was causing the problem and fixed it. I then had to deal with my husband pestering me about what was wrong with the water, despite the fact that my guess was that it was a simple malfunction with the water softener, but couldn't get it from the horse's mouth to satisfy him. Then to have to deal with the staff acting like we were crazy, and not calling us as they said they would after they talked to the maintenance man. Even if they just called to say "We don't know," we would have felt like they were trying to follow-through instead of dodge the question. They also never came to fix the electrical outlet, which still had metal sticking out of it when we left, and I reported that the first morning. I got quite a shock from that thing when I unplugged the blowdryer provided in the room from that hidden surprise.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed April 1, 2011

The Pros:
Near the turnpike, near Chicago, great beds, affordable, generally a clean place, nice family friendly pool area, nice breakfast, free cookies in the lobby, and not far from many places to eat.

The Cons:
When we arrived the staff were absent and there were trash bags in the front lobby and nearby hallway. when the staff did finally greet us the staff were friendly. In our room the shower was dirty with empty and used shampoo bottles.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank OhioTea
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portage
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Portage
#8 of 11 in Portage
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Porter

Been to Holiday Inn Express Portage? Share your experiences!