“Nice place for conferences and weddings”
Review of Swan Lake Resort

Swan Lake Resort
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We went here for a company outing. We stayed two nights at the hotel, had two dinners there, breakfast and some of our people stayed at the house on the golf course. The accommodations were very nice. My room was pool side and the pool area is clean, as is the rest of the facility. The room seemed clean, however it did have a smell - not sure what - maybe the moisture from the pool? The restaurant "Dickie's" was very nice. I had oysters Rockefeller one night and steak dinner the next. It was very good. The golf course was very very nice. We also went to the spa, there was only one girl working and she struggled a bit to get four of us taken care of. She was very sweet and we understood. The resort is quiet and friendly and out in the middle of nowhere. This is a good place to "get away" for a while.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms is nice.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank lejustice

Reviewed August 11, 2013

After hearing all the recent commercials and seeing ads my wife and I decided to try Dickies. Got there early evening and had to wait to be seated. I believe after being passed by pretty much all the staff we finally got acknowledged and soon after sat down on the outdoor patio.

It was a real nice setting but the tables were really cheap/grungy looking, clean but looked pretty bad. Took probably 10 minutes to get a server to our table (they were not busy for the amount of staff on hand) and we placed an order for everything app., drinks, and main course. Should've known we were in trouble when our server told us a different kind of fish (for the daily special) than the neighboring tables server told them.

After probably 20-25 min. our order arrived and looked good. No appetizer was brought and after mentioning it the server says "oh I forgot to put that order in...would you still like the app?.....no that's OK I have my entree and drink now, I'm good".

We ate and did see our server one more time to get our check.....we paid and quickly left. The food was good and tasted fresh. Overall a dissapointment for the quality of the serve staff. Heard some talk among other patrons at one point on how they were dissapointed at not being able to dine on another evening due to a "miscommunication between employees on who unlocked the door" If they plan on staying in business they need some experience in customer service.

We will not be back.

I've golfed here and the course is great!

2  Thank randy w
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Do NOT stay in room 140! There are 4 large A/C units within a few feet of the window. When they are running/cycling - it is like trying to sleep on an airport runway. This is especially troubling when it is in the 60's at night and you like to sleep with the windows open. It is a no-win, because when you shut the windows to minimize the noise of the A/C units - the wall unit sounds like a helicopter. I would have shared all of this when I checked out this morning, but there was not even a hint of a "how was your stay?" question - nothing! Killed a small bug in the bathroom this am, inside of shower curtains are nasty/moldy at bottom, rooms "smell" and look older. Usually stay here for convenience - will do the 30+ min drive in from South Bend area.

1  Thank neville44
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a remote golf getaway, this may fit the bill. We had business that was 20 minutes away due to the winding country roads which was not convenient. The staff was friendly and the beds were pretty comfortable. It was a little pricey for what you got. They offered a nice breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Stayandtell
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Several years ago when my wife and I were "courting" we thoroughly enjoyed meeting at the the restaurant at Swan Lake Resort for a dinner during the week. The bar was cozy and the fireplace warm. Excellent service, food, etc. Never had a bad meal. Crab cakes to die for.
We went back there yesterday in a rare free evening we had. What a complete disappointment.
The decor is changed, it looks more like a dining hall than an upscale eatery. Service was terrible. We sat, and sat, until I went to the bar ordered some drinks and asked the bar tender if we could have a server come to the table as we intended to have dinner.
We sat some more. The waitress who apparently was assigned to our table area came out several times but ignored us. The place was NOT busy. Finally after I got up a second time she came over and gave some lame excuse for not seeing us because we came in with a "lot of other people". We didn't, no one else was seated when we came.
We ordered their onion rings as an appetizer. They came out in a reasonable time... although we did not see our waitress again until she brought them out... the onion "rings" were not like any I have ever seen. It looked like they had been banged around until most of the batter had fallen off. Now, once you got the hang of grabbing an onion and piling some of the batter on it, it was tasty, but what a mess.
My wife ordered the house chardonnay, it came in a regular glass... cost 7 bucks.
I ordered Absolute on the rocks, cost 7 bucks. House chardonnay costs the same as top shelf vodka???
The steak I ordered was good, the pasta my wife ordered was tasty as well. Nothing over the top but credit is due where it is due. Very limited menu, no more of those great crab cakes...
It seems as if someone knows what they are doing in the kitchen sometimes. Have no idea why they would serve someone that platter of mush and call it "onion rings".
Service was horrible.
Decor was bland.
Get it together guys, you have a place that once was a true delight. You obviously have someone in the kitchen that can cook, but what the heck is with other stuff?
We almost walked out initially, something we have never done.

5  Thank Scott D
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Sometimes reality and expectations don't match up. Don't expect 5-star here. But, a very nice, clean and friendly place with accessible golf (36 holes). The course is flat and lacks a lot of variety but is in fine shape all around. The staff does a good job, including in the restaurants. But, take your own pillow with you. Both on my bed were filled with cottage cheese, terrible!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jack J
Reviewed June 20, 2013

See our review on Swan Lake Hotel. We would go back here in a heartbeat. It was a great value, and had incredibily good and genuine service

1  Thank Travel_hopper60172
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
Holiday Inn Express Plymouth
The Inn at Amish Acres
The Inn at Amish Acres
#1 of 2 in Nappanee
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel South Bend

Been to Swan Lake Resort? Share your experiences!