“Great place!”

El Meson Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 103 Restaurants in Plainfield
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Staff is always friendly, smiling. Service is quick, food is great, prices are reasonable. Love to come here when visiting in Plainfield. Only complaint is that we can't convince them to open a restaurant in our town in Michigan!

Reviewed January 20, 2014

In a word, "disappointed." I really was looking forward to having dinner at El Meson based on previous reviews. Candidly, I can't find much to recommend it. If anyone looks at any of my prior restaurant/hotel reviews, they would find that that is unusual for me.

I had a "top shelf" margarita that was over-priced, and virtually devoid of tequila. Also tasted as if it was made with a bottled mix. My wife ordered a "Tequilla Sunrise." It's basically tequila, orange juice and grenadine. They couldn't make it for her because they didn't have the "right ingredients." What bar doesn't have tequila, orange juice, and grenadine?

I ordered steak fajitas. I think they were probably the worst that I have ever had, and I've ordered them hundreds of times. Dry, overdone, lukewarm, and with virtually no vegetables. I didn't finish what they brought, which was an absolute first. My wife ordered a chimichanga which was okay, but was presented with some sort of cream sauce on the top. We've never seen that before.

I think the restaurant tries hard and wants to do well, but I would never go back.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

My family decided to eat Mexican food during recent road trip. Our hotel staff recommended El Meson as the best option in Plainfield, IN. Despite been busy on a Saturday night, the hostess was able to find a nice table for our family near the window. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable of the menu, (you will be surprise how many servers don't know their menu...). Every night El Meson offers drink and food specials, that night the margaritas were excellent! The chips were served warm and the salsa was freshly made with a nice cilantro accent. The mixed fajitas were great, in particular the quality of the chorizo. The beans were unusually spicy, and a bit overcooked. The tamales and the chimichangas were good, prepared with fresh ingredients, including the corn masa (corn dough). The chile con queso was OK, this can be improved by improving the quality of the cheese (queso blanco). Also, the dessert menu could be improve, yet the portions were nice. Considering the service, quality and taste of the food and friendly environment, El Meson provides an unique option for travelers and locals, alike, in Plainfield. Highly recommended.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

My wife and I tried the new El Meson location last night, across from Walmart. This location has been a lot of different restaurants in the last 20 years, so we were skeptical but curious. We shared a double order of steak & chicken fajitas and it was a great choice. It tasted great and was more than enough for both of us..
Down side of the visit was my wife thought the restaurant smelled musty but I didn't notice. Worth trying again.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Always good food, fast service, excellent atmosphere and a great value! The portions are huge. I recommend sharing meals here unless you like to take some home. The wait times during evening hours on the weekend are never too long as we have had to wait 10 minutes tops. El Meson is one of the best Mexican Restaurants I have been to.