“Good but HATE the thermostat”

Wingate by Wyndham Indianapolis Airport Plainfield
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Plainfield

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We arrived at the hotel early in the morning (around midnight), and when I went to check in I found a sign informing me the desk staff would be right back. The sign said to use the phone behind me and dial "0" to speak with a staff representative, so I did, and the man on the line told me the clerk had to run to the airport and would be back shortly. My wife and I were exhausted, and frankly, I didn't want to wait around (which we did-for about 1/2 hour). When the guy finally returned he was really, really rude. He didn't apologize for our inconvenience and gruffly asked twice for my credit card even though he could plainly see I was about to pull it out of my wallet. I ended up replying gruffly, "I heard you the first time."

When we got up to the room and opened the door we were greeted with stale smoke smell. I double-checked my reservations (yep, non-smoking room) and the sign outside the door (yep, little non-smoking symbol), but the smoke smell was pervasive. I didn't want to deal with the completely impersonal, cranky absentee desk clerk, so we sucked it up and turned in.

The bed was pretty comfortable and seemed clean. The breakfast was decent--eggs, biscuits and gravy, waffles, cereals, bagels, toast, and cinnamon buns. Everything tasted exactly like a free hotel breakfast.

If, on the rare chance we're ever again in Indianapolis, it's unlikely we'll stay here. If the staff had been accommodating, and if the room smelled better, I might because the price was right.

Room Tip: In our room we heard a lot of noise from the highway. Be sure yours is truly a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Beckley, wv
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Overall appearance of the hotel was very nice...I had high hopes. Beds were pretty comfy, rooms and halls smelled clean and front desk staff was very friendly. However, I had several issues that ranged from frustrating to disgusting. And actually being able to speak to a manager seemed to be a mystery option.
I had confirmed breakfast times prior to our arrival, as we had to leave by 6:30. I was told not breakfast would be available at 6:00 and 5:30 we could access cold breakfast options. However when we went down to breakfast in the morning at 6:00 the lights were out, no hot breakfast (sign had a handwritten change stating 6:30), no front desk anywhere. Couldn't even have cold breakfast as there was no milk anywhere. I rang the bell at the desk but no one ever arrived until they came out with hot breakfast at 6:30 ( as we were leaving). After speaking to the front desk help later in the day the message was given to the manager and I will say that although I never spoke to the manager myself, they did have hot breakfast ready for us at 6:00 the next morning)
Upon arrival the kids found food on the floor, obviously housekeeping didn't do a thorough job at cleaning. I heard several other guest complaining about a lack of cleanliness in their rooms and the poor front desk girl was actually having to go run in and clean rooms. Our room was generally clean although there was a stain on the ottoman and a stain on one of the comforters. But the thing that was unacceptable was my kids found a pair of dirty women's underwear under the edge of the bed. And when I say dirty, I mean dirty, not just assuming they were dirty. I never was able to talk to a manager about that!
Other than that the minor things were a cold pool and a broken hot tub (which I also called about prior to our visit), sure wish I could have at least spoken to a manager in person. I made several phone calls and trips down to front desk, but there NEVER seemed to be a manager around.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed November 16, 2012

A nice clean hotel with friendly staff. Nice comfortable beds too. I was always asked if I needed anything by the staff when in the lobby. I had microwave and refrigerator in room and paid less than usual for such amenities.I stay in Plainfeild on business reguarly and this is one of the 3 hotels I always enjoy staying at.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

Drive up to hotel and looks recently built. Lobby is clean and appealing. At certain times of the day and night the front desk is unmanned. There is a sign at the desk to dial 0 if you need help. When you call, the owner answered from one of his other hotels down the street. He claimed that the employee was in the bathroom. NOT TRUE. She showed up 30 min later driving one of the two hotel vans that showed up. The front desk office door was wide open during this time. So anyone could go behind the desk. Back door was unlocked at 11pm. Bucket on floor one 1st floor hallway to catch leaks from a/c unit. They don't clean the room between multiple night stays. They come in and empty the trash and pick up the towels. They don't re-make the bed, vacuum, or replace towels. The wall next to the a/c unit had a inward bow that allowed a lot of cold air from the outside in. Big spider web in corner of room. Obvious that it had been there a while. Left after first night. Felt unsafe due to the unmanned front desk and unlocked doors at night. Dirty rooms.

• Stayed October 2012