“Not Up to Hilton Standards”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Indianapolis-Airport/Plainfield
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Plainfield
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 26, 2009

We stayed at this Homewoods Suites on the 4th of July while visiting family in Plainfield. We tend to look for Homewood when we travel due to the reasonable price and what you get for your money. But this location was sub-par in our opinion.

There was no one at the front desk when we arrived, we had to dial a phone to get someone. When he got there he apologized, saying that he was folding towels. He reeked of cigarette smoke, so if what he said was true, then I would hate to think what the towels smelled like.

We like the size of the suites, that is one of the reasons we looked for these to stay at, with that said, there were problems with the room. We had two light bulbs burned out, the heat was on instead of the air conditioning, part of the curtain rod in the bedroom was pulled out of the wall, and the tray of amenities in the kitchen (coffee, popcorn, etc) was only partially filled. Maybe it was the poor lighting and drab colors, but there was a feeling of it being less clean than usual.

It is very convenient to the new Indianapolis airport but our room was on the top floor and I feel like we had planes landing in our room all night. So be sure to request a lower floor.

Breakfast was lacking in comparison to other Homewood Suites as well and no one seemed to be tending it to see of refills were needed.

At checkout we ran into the same thing we did at arrival - no one was at the desk. There was the message to use the phone to get some for assistance. Another guest was just hanging up when I got to the desk and walked away saying, "Good luck getting someone around here to help you." I dialed twice and no one ever arrived. So I gave up and left also.

This hotel needs an update. Until that happens we will stay elsewhere when in Plainfield.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 2Babydolls
There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites by Hilton Indianapolis-Airport/Plainfield

Reviewed July 12, 2009

My family and I traveled to Indy for a show. I decided to stay on the outskirts of town to stay away from downtown. I really liked the area of Plainfield. It is a very nice suburb west of Indy. Property is only about 2 miles from Metroplex--a huge outdoor shopping area with many restaurants close by. Metroplex is very similar to Destin Commons in FL for those who have been to that area. Wife loved the shopping options.

Since I had never stayed at a Homewood Suites before, I have nothing to compare this one to. Rooms were a nice size--living room area with a kitchennette (frig, stove, microwave and table for two) and then bedroom and bath area in other room. Sofa in living room had a pull out bed--plenty of room for our son to relax, watch tv and sleep.

This hotel is not a brand new property--but it does seem to have some updates. The shower was a nice size. Loved the fact that shower head was at like 7 feet + since I am a tall guy. Bathroom was clean. But not the amenities of a nicer property--Marriott, Hilton, etc.. Bed was comfortable.

Let me mention some of the definite positives: hotel had an indoor pool with hot tub. My son and I had a great time swimming. Pool area had plenty of seats and lounge chairs, too. There were probably 6 or 8 people also in the area and no problems of having room to get around. Size of the rooms was a little bigger than I expected. Each room had its own AC unit. Temperatures were controlled by a wall thermostat. Master Bedroom had a ceiling fan--I totally loved this since we always sleep with a fan going at home. Had a door between rooms that you could close for privacy. I have been in some suites that don't have doors. Also, free wireless internet!

Some of the things that were just okay or need improvement: furnishings are getting a little dated. This is not to say the place wasn't clean. Our room was very clean--no issues there. Bedding is typical--nothing special. No light over mirror at vanity. This makes it a little dark getting ready. I could see where ladies would not like the light in terms of getting ready. Just had an overhead light in room and 2 sconces on sides. Seems like a weird design to me--why not lights over mirror??

Televisions were basic, picture tube tvs--not flat panels. The tv channel selection was very mediocre. Probably only had about 15-20 channels. Definitely not an expanded cable package.

But all and all, this was a very nice stay. We did not get up and eat breakfast at the hotel. They did serve until 10:00 am. We had food and ate in our room. Very safe and secure area. I would never sense any security concerns here.

Also will mention this last point. I met a family that was staying directly across the hall from us and their kids were in the room next to us. Never once did I hear any noise through the walls. Because we were talking about playing video games like Guitar Hero and Rock Star in the hall, I know the kids had them hooked up in the room. Thus, I would say the walls were either really thick or insulated very well. This was a nice change compared to some places where you can hear everything through the walls.

I would recommend this property if you are in the area.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
hwsplainfield, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Indianapolis-Airport/Plainfield, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2009

Dear Friend:

Thank you for choosing the Homewood Suties Plainfield.

I must say that your comments were the most balanced feedback that I've received pertaining to our service and accomodations. While you noted that the hotel was far from new, you found it to be very welcoming, clean and a friendly place to be. This is exciting news! As I do on a regualr basis, I will read your letter to our staff in our morining meeting and use it as a means to keep us focused on the fundamentals that are important to our guest; such as yourself and your family.

Again, thank you for taking the time to provide this most valuable feedback. Should your travels bring you back to the Plainfield area, we'd like to be your choice of lodging.

In the spirit of hospitality,

Eugene Hilliard, CRDE

Reviewed June 18, 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at the Homewood Suites by Hilton in Plainfield...we were impressed! Clean, nice and spacious rooms and very accomodating staff! Additionally, there were nights where work was late but no problem as the hotel offered dinner/happy hour until 7:30 pm and the food was far better then some restaurants we ate in while in IN. I highly recommend this hotel and will be choosing it again if traveling to Plainfield/Indy area.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 1, 2008

I stayed at the Homewood Suites in Plainfield for several nights in late April. The hotel seemed new and was very clean; the hotel personnel are friendly and accommodating. I have stayed in some of the nicest hotels in NA, Europe, and Asia - and I am comfortable staying here. The rooms are spacious enough - I had a studio. There is a small sitting area, a kitchen, and a bedroom. Granite countertops in the kitchen and bathroom. Shower has the nice curved shower rod for more space. The bed was comfortable - firm yet soft. The breakfast is very nice with cereals, yogurt, scrambled eggs, etc. plus several other hot selections each day (such as french toast, bacon, biscuits and gravy). Each night they have a dinner --- hamburgers, chicken that would be good for travelers or families saving time or money (the food honestly looked decent). Internet is free.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 2, 2007

I stayed at Homewood Suites on Hadley Rd while working out of town. I love this place. The suites are roomy with a complete kitchen if you're staying for a longer period of time. The suites have a sleeping area and a living room area. Large enough to relax in. Very clean. The hotel offers complimentary drinks free of charge from 4 - 7pm. They also serve a light meal. The pool was very clean. There was a group of FFA there when I stayed and the hotel was able to keep the breakfast bar completely stocked. Though there was such a large group noise was not a factor. Good clean and welcoming place to stay on business or with the family. I like the fact that you can actually open the windows in the room and they have screens.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed October 18, 2007

I travel two weeks a month for business, so I am a veteran hotel stayer. I stayed at this location several months ago and it was fine. But this week, it was just awful. On my first day, I returned to my room after a long day at work to find that my room had not been serviced at all. I called the front desk and they said "ok". Whatever that meant. So 1/2 hour later I go to the front desk and they tell me there is nothig they can do as housekeeping has left. They do not offer to provide clean sheets or towels or new coffee. But they assure me someone will be there first thing in the morning.
Well in the morning I work in the room and when I leave at 12, I go the front desk and ask to speak to the manager. I explain the problem and she checks and says for some reaon my room wasn't on the list the previous day, but it would be done today. She then offers a big $10 certificate to a local food place.
So when I return at 9 PM, I found that my bed had been made, new towels, but nothing was cleaned or put away in the kitchen area, and the coffee I had used had not been replaced. In addittion, I had left a note on the bathroom sink stating the overhead light was burned out, and the note was still there along with the burned out light. This hotel has a "if you are not completely satisfied, please let us know. We will make it right or your night's stay is free." Well its not right and all I was offered was this $10 certificate. There are LOTS of hotels in this area. Believe me, I will not stay in this one again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank sendmehome
Reviewed June 8, 2007

This hotel was great and exceeded my expectations! I am VERY particular about cleanliness and this hotel was the first one I have stayed at the not only met my expectations but exceeded them!

The living room area was big enough for the kids to sit and watch TV while my husband and I enjoyed our own TV in the bedroom area.

My husband and I have 4 children ages 8 and under and we loved, loved this hotel and will stay there again and again when we got to Indianapolis! I have yet to find a hotel to measure up to this one!

We even got to talk to the manager who was extremely friendly and helpful!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plainfield
Hampton Inn Indianapolis-SW/Plainfield
Baymont Inn & Suites Plainfield/ Indianapolis Arpt Area
Cambria hotel & suites Indianapolis Airport
Staybridge Suites Indianapolis-Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Indianapolis-Airport
Best Western Plus Atrea Airport Inn & Suites

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Indianapolis-Airport/Plainfield? Share your experiences!