“I'm Impressed”

Ranked #9 of 47 Restaurants in Peru
Kokomo
“I'm Impressed”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We were at a local craft store and asked about a good place to have lunch that wasn't fast food. We were recommended to try Boondocks. When we got there, there was no other guests there. We asked to see a menu to see what they had to offer with the likelihood of going elsewhere, seeing that there were no other customers.
Menu had some good items on it, so we decided to sit down and give it a try.
I ordered the Tilapia sandwich with fries and my wife ordered the mushroom and Swiss cheeseburger and fries. The selection had everything from steaks to burgers. There is plenty to choose from without being too much. I cant speak for my wife (who suggested we go back two days later) but my tilapia was almost as good as the ones i get in Fort Meyers Beach. Almost. Fries appear to be hand cut steak fries seasoned with a garlic and pepper seasoning.
Before you say no, try it! We must have came in early, because by the time we left, there were only two empty tables. We went on a Saturday and we returned again the following Monday and tried a few different things. Food was cooked as ordered both times and seasonings were not heavy. We will be making the 20 mile drive for lunch/dinner in the future.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank JeffC303

Peru, IN
“bad lunch”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We've ate at Boondocks several times and have been satisfied, but not the last two times, including today. Ordered scallop appetizer for the first time...won't order those again. $10.95 for 3 scallops! Onion strings just this side of burnt. They have advertised their sangria, but the last two times it is terrible. 1 thin slice of orange, and it tasted bottled. No sugar syrup or fruit juice. 2 sandwiches, 3 scallops, 1 beer, and 1 sangria came to a total of $35 with out tip. Not very happy!

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank Liz M
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Good but room for improvement”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My husband and I were meeting some friends and family from South Bend and Peru is about a halfway point from Indy. We had a party of 8. I'm not sure if they were accustomed to a larger party. They were a bit slow. Overall, the food was good.. not great but good. A few of us got the chicken cordon blue sandwich. My husband said it was okay but was lacking something. Two of us had the catfish. We both order catfish often and didn't think it was too great. They were very thin pieces of catfish, the breading was very plain and was overcooked (too crispy). My mother in law said the hamburger was good. The food portions were large and hard to finish. Prices were very reasonable.

The service was a little lacking. Our waitress was nice. She never came back to check on refills. We were very close to the counter though and could easily flag her down.

There was a man that I assume was the owner and he got upset about something. He was close enough that I could see his facial expression and caught a little bit of what he said. He should have taken this issue up behind the scenes of the customers.

The restaurant is dark and even slightly difficult to read the menus. They need more lighting. The ambience is nice.

From what I understand there are not a lot of restaurants in Peru. I would give them another chance. We had a pleasant meal and were all able to sit together easily for a Saturday afternoon lunch.

• Visited June 2013

Been to Boondocks? Share your experiences!