“Great Place and Great Time!”
Review of Midwest Inn

Midwest Inn
Midwest Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Paoli
Huntsville, Alabama
“Great Place and Great Time!”
Reviewed January 11, 2008

We stayed at the Midwest Inn, Paoli, Indiana for our recent skiing trip to Ski Paoli Peaks. The motel was comfortable and conveinent to the ski resort, the City of Paoli, and to nearby French Lick. The staff at the motel was friendly and helpful. They arranged an extra night for us so we could go snow tubing on Friday. They assisted us in the recovery of two pairs of snow boots that we inadvertently left behind in our motel room.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank mlpgizmo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Indianapolis
Reviewed December 18, 2007

My husband and I have stayed at the Midwest Inn and their other property at Paoli Peaks for several years now. We have been extremely satisfied. The staff and management have always gone above and beyond in providing service.

I have stayed in many five-star hotels that have not had the service that I receive at Midwest. I hate to hear that others received less than perfect service, but that is not what we have experienced in over 8 years of patronage.

Hats off to the staff for continuing to provide "small-town" service in the shadow of the casino business. I am sure that the influx of casino visitors has created an overflow business for them as well. I applaud them for remaining a comfortable, "down-home" place to stay when we visit the area.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank plathfan
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed August 20, 2007

I am writing to report about my "confirmed reservation" at The Midwest Inn in Paoli on Saturday, August 11, 2007. I called and talked to the manager personally the first part of June and made a reservation and confirmed the reservation via my VISA card. I received a confirmation number also. Upon my arrival late afternoon on August 11th, I was informed by the manager herself that there were no rooms available because they had overbooked.

To make matters worse, my mother's room and my sister's rooms were also cancelled. The manager attempted and failed to explain her problem with new employees, with the new casino in French Lick making them overly busy. What does this matter? I had a room "reserved". Am I mistaken or what? If I have a confirmed motel room, no matter what time I arrive, do I not have a room waiting for me? Isn't that what confirmations are? Even if I don't show, that room is mine, and there is a credit card to charge. Do tell me, though, am I mistaken about this?

Please know that our family has had its family reunion in Paoli on the second weekend in August for 37 years, and we have NEVER had a problem with reserving our rooms. Saying that our family was disappointed is an understatement.

• Disliked — Resevations and Confirmed Reservations do not mean anything to management.
  • Stayed August 2007
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank ronnac
Tarpon Springs, Florida
Reviewed February 17, 2007

I contacted Midwest Inn in Paoli, IN after deciding at the last minute to attend the Jerry Lee Lewis Concert located about 10 miles away from Paoli in French Lick, IN. I knew it was last minute and had to search a long time to finally find a room at the Midwest Inn. I told the woman that I was driving from Clearwater, FL to Harrisburg, IL and then to French Lick. I went to Harrisburg to pick up my sister so she could attend the concert with me. My sister has 5 children---the two youngest boys are autistic---so it's a BIG deal for her to be able to go anywhere.
The lady at Midwest Inn told me at that time that check-in was at 4PM. I told her that was going to make it very hectic for us to check-in at 4PM; get ready for the concert; and make it to the French Lick Springs resort by 6PM---ALL Jerry Lee Lewis tickets to this venue were "will call" and had to be picked up by 6PM. She didn't relent on the check-in time, so I said I guessed we'd just have to make it work. I left my home phone number; my cell phone number; AND my sister's cell phone number in Illinois.
I was supposed to check-in at Midwest Inn at 4PM on February 17th. I tried to call Midwest Inn 6 times on Feb.16th to see if there was some way we could check-in early...I was even willing to pay extra to get in there even one hour earlier. I never got an answer and there was no answering machine. I didn't think anything of that since I have friends that used to run a smaller motel in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and I knew that sometimes during their peak season...everyone was working...cleaning rooms, etc. I did wake up early on Feb. 17th and tried to call Midwest Inn twice before we left. No answer. No answering machine.
When I travel, I use a pre-paid credit card that I purchase over-the-counter. It's just for added safety when travel. I only "load-up" the amount of money I know I'm going to need on the card and it saves from someone getting my credit card numbers and/or stealing the card and making more problems for me. Anyway, I was using my pre-paid credit card. I loaded up the money on the card around 2:30PM when we stopped at a pharmacy to specifically load the card. My sister started trying to call Midwest Inn from her cell phone and got no answer. It had snowed more in Indiana and we were having trouble with snow and wind on the roads. We were going to be about 30 minutes late and I wanted to tell the motel to go ahead and use the card to secure our room. My sister finally got through when we were about 20 minutes from the motel. She told the woman who we were and that we were going to be about 30 minutes late. Before my sister could tell the woman to go ahead and put the card through, the woman informed her that she'd already given our room away! I almost had a wreck on the twisting, turning roads going into Paoli! She had run my credit care through at 2PM and when it didn't go through...she had given our room away at 2PM!!!
I actually did something that I NEVER do: I talked to this woman on the cell phone while I was driving. She denied telling me that the check-in time was 4PM. She told me she had no phone number AT ALL to contact me. She said that check-out time is 12NOON and that people can check-in anytime after that! I was livid, to say the least.
I had driven 1,069 miles from Clearwater, FL to Harrisburg, IL to French Lick, IN just to see this concert. I had made detailed plans for every aspect of this trip and here I was in the dead of winter in a place I'd never been to before with no room to spend the night. The woman did say she'd try to call around and find us a room after she became very snotty with me. She found us a room: 18 miles on the other side of French Lick in Jasper, IN. I didn't have time to go to that motel and get back to the resort in time for will-call on the Jerry Lee tickets. We did call the French LIck resort while we were driving there and told them our predicament. They did say that if we wanted to, we could bring our clothing inside the front lobby and they would take us to a semi-private bathroom where we could change. We ended up not having time to do that and just went into the concert without bathing or putting on make-up, etc.
I am VERY, VERY upset with this place, to say the least!
I will also be reporting this place to the Chamber of Commerce in Paoli. I doubt it will do any good since these are all small (probably locally owned) motels and they seem to think they can treat people like they want since they are "the only game in town."
By the way, we ended up driving back home right after the concert (which was another fiasco that I'll complain about within the French Lick Resort comments...) We started driving back home. I was so exhausted, we stopped at the only rest area on the road and took about a 30 minute nap and then made it to Dale, IN where we got gas and THANKFULLY found a Motel 6! The girl behind the counter was super pleasant and our stay there was wonderful. **** Five Stars for the Motel 6 in Dale, Indiana!
The next morning, we had breakfast at the Denny's across from the motel and the girl who was our waitress overhead us talking about our experience. She told us she'd taken her young son to Paoli for a summer trip (which is NOT their peak season.) She said the woman at the hotel had told her check-in was at 1PM and after she got there, they told her check-in was at 3PM and she had to wait 2 hours for her room! So, this must be how they do business in Paoli. (The waitress' motel was NOT the same one we had trouble with.)
This was a disastrous trip from start to finish.
I don't recommend the Midwest Inn in Paoli, Indiana and I will never travel into that area ever again. I will tell everyone I know to avoid the area like the plague. I know a lot of people who travel extensively and I have family and friends in Southern Ilinois; Indianapolis, Indiana; Evansville, Indiana; and Louisville, Kentucky.
DON'T GO TO PAOLI.

Stayed February 2007
8 Thank LauraClearwater,FL
embraced2000, manager at Midwest Inn, responded to this review, February 24, 2007
The truth is that this guests credit card was declined.

Plain and simple. No payment, no room.

Had she used a credit card that was honored, her room would have been waiting on her.

As far as her attempts to contact me, her cell phone signal was absolutely horrible.

I'm so sorry this guest had a bad experience. Perhaps better planning would have helped her experience tremendously.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paoli
Comfort Suites French Lick
#1 of 3 in West Baden Springs
French Lick Springs Hotel
French Lick Springs Hotel
#2 of 5 in French Lick

Been to Midwest Inn? Share your experiences!