“Very Good Chicken”

Wagner's Village Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Oldenburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Fantastic Pan Fried Chicken with great service in a small town atmosphere.
Columbus, Indiana, United States
“Very Good Chicken”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We rode our motorcycles to Oldenburg from Columbus to eat at Wagner's Village Inn and it was an awesome day. The folks at Wagner's had our tables ready, there were around 15 of us in the party, and we ordered our drinks, then our meals. The server seemed a little overwhelmed but was very nice. I don't think the food took very long to prepare and I felt like the fried chicken was very tasty. The Cole Slaw was phenomenal but I felt the mashed potatoes were not seasoned at all. But after a little salt and pepper, they tasted fine.

After we ate, we waited for the server to bring our checks but she never did so we all went to the cash register to pay. They were still adding up the tickets so we had to wait on them to do that. Once they did that, the bartender had to explain why a Tenderloin and fries came to $18.00 and she said they add a 20% Gratuity on parties that large. I didn't have an issue with that but some of the people thought that we didn't see our server enough to warrant a 20% tip. I have to agree although I always tip 20% or more.

The overall experience was good, but the service was poor, and the food was too expensive. It was good, but too expensive. I will be back though.

• Visited August 2013

Lexington, South Carolina
“Chicken! Oh yeah!”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I just love Wagner's! The chicken is peppery and crunchy. It is always served hot not lukewarm like take out places. The sides are excellent. There is just a nice atmosphere at Wagner's. the folks are friendly and helpful. This is always our go-to spot when we travel the I-74 corridor between Cincinnati and Indy. Oldenburg is about three miles from Batesville at Exit 149.

• Visited July 2013
“Indiana Five Star Fried Chicken”
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Pan fried, peppery chicken, served family style with made from scratch mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans and Cole slaw. The picturesque small German village of Oldenburg a few miles from Batesville and I-74 is home to a small tavern with the best fried chicken, ever. Start with a peppery cheese appetizer or fried chicken livers and you have a southern Indiana feast.
A short fifty miles from Cincinnati, Batesville and its famous Sherman House, Oldenburg with the beautiful nunnery Mother House make a nice day trip.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank HazardBob
Harrison, Ohio, United States
“Nice old school charm”
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

The wife and I went on a bike ride and stop for dinner. Since we didn't have the kids we sat at the bar. We had a great time and we felt like family.

• Visited July 2013
cincinnati
“Best Fried Chicken”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Heard about this place in Oldenburg, IN that had great fried chicken. Believe me, it is worth the trip. I don't know if it's the best I've ever had but I can't recall ever having better. Very nice people there, and the sides were substantial and delicious as well. A home run!

• Visited June 2013