“Best Fried Chicken”

Wagner's Village Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Oldenburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Fantastic Pan Fried Chicken with great service in a small town atmosphere.
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Heard about this place in Oldenburg, IN that had great fried chicken. Believe me, it is worth the trip. I don't know if it's the best I've ever had but I can't recall ever having better. Very nice people there, and the sides were substantial and delicious as well. A home run!

1  Thank lewwallace

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We took a drive and ended up at Wagners. The restaurant is in a beautiful small town. We didn't have reservations but we were seated in 10 minutes. Wagners is known for its pan fried chicken. I have lived in this area all my life, but never ate here. It is everything I've heard about it. Drinks orders were take as soon as we seated. We had the chicken. Its served family style or it can be ordered as a dinner. We wanted to pick our own sides, so we went with the dinner. They fry it as its ordered. We had our slaw while we waited. Very good. The 1/2 chicken was excellent. Had to take 3 pieces home. Refills were offered. Service was above the standard! We will back!

2  Thank kathy w
Reviewed March 17, 2013

While on a Sunday afternoon drive, to nowhere in particular, we happened upon Oldenburg Indiana. According to trip advisor there were three restaurants, I check the reviews on all three. Wagner's Village Inn had the best reviews so that's where we ate. It boasts the best fried chicken in Indiana, their advertisement was absolutely correct! We were pretty hungry so we got the family-style dinner ( must have a min of 2 ppl). Our meal came with half of a fried chicken per person, homemade coleslaw,homemade chicken gravy, mashed potatoes, fresh green beans and rolls. The fried chicken is panfried, as you order it, it takes about 30 minutes to cook your chicken. It's never cooked early, it's never held and it is well worth the wait! The coating is a light peppery coating and was delicious! The staff was very friendly, they even gave e a kitchen tour!!! We will be back soon!!!!! I highly recommend this for dinner or lunch !!

2  Thank Jpjgalloway
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I took my family here a while ago and upon entering I thought I had opened the wrong door. Big bar to the right, chairs, tables, booths to the left. The look on my face must have said "help me - I have afamily and we are hungry" as the bartender asked if we were there for dinner. They walked us past the bar and up and to the right and there was a little dining area up there.
Weird, an after thought, or they just needed the space, the dining area was just odd. mismatched chairs, strange decor, I felt like I was in a box that smelled like fried chicken.
NOW - this is no KFC. Homestyle comfort food. We ordered the chicken as you also need to do and all the fixins. Now Im not from here, but I heard about the chicken. If you like pepper you will like this. My daughter could not eat it without taking the coating off and even still it was peppery. Im not talking about just a little pepper, I am talking about it looked blackened. and it was awesome!!!
This is another Oldenburg place to visit and make up your own mind. These small towns in Indiana may not always have the decor, may not always have food that has any flavor whatsoever (not true here), and some people might seem really darn unfriendly, but Wagners is one of those OK places that is worth a visit.

2  Thank JimJ12
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This is not only a bar, it is a family resturant as well. We took our kids there years ago and took our grandson on our last visit. Just to set the record straight.