“Family disappointed by high prices, rude service, bad food and outdated decor.”
Review of Lutz's Steak House - CLOSED

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Once a month our extend family of nine gets together for dinner. We always try to find locally-owned restaurants. We have found that these restaurants typically use fresher ingredients, have flavorful food, affordable prices and obliging service. For being locally-owned, established and seemingly well liked, we found that Lutz’s Steakhouse did not meet any of our expectations.

First, we were surprised by the prices on the menu. A 10oz New York Strip was nearly $21, an 8oz Fillet Mignon was $26. This is by no means a fine dining restaurant. Each steak did come with a salad and choice of side. The salads were clearly from a bagged mix. One family member ordered the inaptly named “Monster” salad, which was probably less than a cup of lettuce. I ordered the Caesar salad and again it was a very small portion with clearly watered down dressing.

I ordered a New York Strip with their Old English Potatoes and Caesar salad. When ordering, I had inquired as to what Old English Potatoes were and I was told that they were fresh potatoes that had been seasoned with herbs and then deep fried. They were clearly frozen battered potatoes that had been fried in old grease and then were served to me cold.

Two of us ordered steaks, my New York Strip and the other a Fillet Mignon, both ordered medium rare. When the steaks arrived, both were very tough and one was overcooked. When we informed our server, she told us that the fillet was how they cooked medium rare at the restaurant, despite any aforementioned warning. When I said that mine was tough, I was quickly told, “Sorry,” and then the server left. Both steaks were grey, a clear indication that both had been frozen for a while before being grilled. There was no seasoning whatsoever on the steak and I had actually to add salt to my steak.

As others have commented, our server was rude and generally uncaring. She took long smoke breaks while we were waiting, once filled our water and tea glasses, brought the wrong wine, shoved the roll basket to us and expected us to bus our own plates. After we ordered, my father-in-law had to leave early because he was ill (completely unrelated to this dining experience), but we said that we would pay for his meal. Later we were told by our server that his leaving had really messed up her check system.

The atmosphere was so dated. We try to find quieter places for dinner so our entire family can hear and participate in our conversations. We were told that the live music would not start until 9:00pm, which is one reason we chose to go at 6:30pm. By 7:00pm, the music was so loud that we couldn’t talk to each other. The restaurant is a disaster and needs a thorough cleaning top to bottom and fresh paint job. Even the outside awning was ripped to shreds, presumably from hail that we had several months ago.

The only redeeming quality of this restaurant is that they comped the steaks. Granted, I still had to pay for my salad with the watered-down dressing and the potatoes, which I only ate two bites of. Overall, for my steak and sides, my wife’s fish dinner, two glasses of wine, two crab cakes and a baked potato, with taxes and after the comped steak, our total was still $69.93. The free steak wasn’t enough to get us to come back or even to stay long enough to entertain dessert options.

The high prices were matched by the dismal quality of food and dining experience. Lutz’s Steakhouse is a perfect candidate for Gordon Ramsey’s Kitchen Nightmares.

• Visited August 2011
7 Thank clevengera

“Our favorite!”
Reviewed April 17, 2011

We have been occasional Lutz's patrons for years but have been frequenting the place more often in the last couple of years. It is our favorite spot when we are looking for a quiet spot for an adult beverage and a relaxing dinner.
Would recommend any steak - the strip is always good and the prime rib (Fri-Sat only) is outstanding. Cannot say the same for the seafood offerings, but the sign out front says "Steakhouse"!
We enjoy the bar seating (ask for Debbie) but will admit that the booths are a little uncomfortable and it can get a little smoky at times.

2 Thank Steve M
Noblesville, Indiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dinner, Dancing, and Live Music= A Great Night with Friends”
Reviewed March 24, 2011

We are a couple of the many loyal customers of Lutz's! My husband and I have been going there for years. We come for the music and to dance the night away. But the food is wonderful and it doesn't seem to matter what you order...everything from the prime rib to the lemon crusted roughy, I love the crab stuffed shrimp! The staff is great and very welcoming....If you haven't been, you need to go! It's the best!

Visited February 2011
1 Thank Jeanie01
Noblesville, Indiana
“Best Restaurant in Noblesville”
Reviewed March 7, 2011

I absolutely love Lutz's! Great food, excellent service. It has a very comfortable and fun atmosphere. Took our baby daughter (20 months) and was shocked to see the kid's menu even has steaks; all choices even came with a salad (apple sauce too). They had a great singer ( Dave Lowe) and we took our little girl on to the dance floor after dinner. She loved it.The staff made us feel so welcome, we felt like pampered regulars...and it was our first time! (Thanks to Jeanie!)Made reservations to go back this Friday. Our new favorite place!

• Visited February 2011
indianapolis, In
“Bad Food, Unfriendly service, and patrons”
Reviewed January 29, 2011

My husband and I made dinner reservations for a Friday evening. We got to the restaurant, and our reservations had been lost. We ended up eating in the bar. our server Billy was unfriendly, and completely unconcerned...well about anything. We ordered ribs and the prime rib weekend special. The salads were ok. the ribs were lukewarm and slopped with some kind of gross catsup based sauce. My prime rib was thin and undercooked. Billy just did not care. The bar was full of what we assumed to be Friday night 'regulars'. They were unfriendly and boorish. Bumping into our table elbowing past us rudely. Bottom line? A wasted one hundred dollars.

• Visited January 2011