“Beautiful location & great food”
Review of Edgewater Grille

Edgewater Grille
Ranked #20 of 55 Restaurants in Newburgh
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Madisonville, Kentucky
“Beautiful location & great food”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

If you want a lovely lunch go to Edgewater Grill on a beautiful Fall day & sit on the balcony overlooking the Ohio River. Delightful..We took guest from Denmark there for lunch & they too thought the location special. The lunch was great. Several of us had the wonderful Icelandic cod sandwich with special tarter sauce. Best I've ever had and the french fries were just what french fries should be, crisp on the outside with a real potato taste inside. Could not be better.

Newburgh, Indiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great views and food”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The location is beautiful and relaxing and the town of Newburgh is inviting and clean.
Views are amazing and I enjoyed a cod sandwich for lunch which was very good.
I also had a salad that was fresh and was prepared the way I asked, with extra tomatoes.
The restaurant was clean. The staff were friendly to me and I felt welcomed. Overall, I had a very pleasant experience.

Winter Haven, Florida
“We always enjoy!”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We always enjoy this place and visit when we are in the area. ...With the time zones being so close we were there early for lunch and had our choice of seats. ...and we always enjoy the views of the "great Ohio" on the covered deck. The Lasagna was delicious and the service was great... Thanks Brittany...We will go back!

EVANSVILLE
“One of our "go to" places with guests.”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My wife and I have visited Edgewater Grille on five occasions in the last 1 1/2 years, twice by ourselves, three times with friends and family. This review is an overview of all of those visits. On each occasion our service has ranged from satisfactory to outstanding, depending on the server. On all occasions the server has been friendly and helpful, sometimes speedy, sometimes average. When we have visited at peak times (lunch in our case), service was a bit slower than at off-peak times, but nothing objectionable...never more than 10 minutes from seating to drinks on the table. And my glass was kept full, even if the server was a bit rushed. Servers have been knowledgable for the most part, and have been very accurate in describing the menu.

I will not say that the food at the Edgewater Grill is the best I have ever had, but I will say that I have yet to be disappointed with anything I, or my guests, have been served. Then, again, my meals there were not $35 per person. My NYC son/daughter-in-law said the hummus was as good as any they get there. The clam chowder was maybe not the same as I might get on the warf on the Maine coast, but it was creamy, chunky and tasty...very good by non-coastal standards. My wife's rigatoni carbonara, her usual choice, was hot (very!) and very flavorful. Her only complaint was a bit too much olive oil on the dish, but the oil was flavorful enough to dip our bread in. Maybe a bit too much, but nothing to complain about. Salads were fresh, with an interesting vinagerette dressing. My usual fish and chips has always been a fairly generous portion. Again, not "Maine's best," but better than most other Evansville area restaurants.

I have read reviews here criticizing the owner for being rude. I cannot comment on others' experiences, but I have never found this to be the case. What I have found is an owner who is very involved and who is a bit more forceful in her conversation than the typical uninterested greeter. This has never bothered me; I have had several pleasant conversations with her. She is not a "shrinking violet," but she has never seemed rude to me, just opinionated, and she cares greatly about her restaurant and has gone out of her way to please us. For example, when my wife and I stopped in after the lunch to dinner switch over, I asked for an item usually offered only at lunch. A quick check with the cook, and my request was on its way. On another occasion, we asked for bread pudding (which was not on the menu that day, by the way, and were told by our server that it was not offered that day...the bread pudding was baked and ready to serve the next day, but the sauce had not been prepared yet. Overhearing our request, the owner sent word that, if we could wait a few minutes, she would prepare a batch of sauce just for us. We had time to sit and enjoy the view, so we said yes. Fifteen minutes later my wife was served a very generous portion of fresh, hot, buttery-sauced bread pudding. This is hardly the rude, nasty owner that others have written about. My experience has been quite the opposite.

To summarize, the Edgewater Grill. is not 5 star dining, and does not claim to be. It is a nice grill/riverside restaurant that offers a nice covered deck and decent food that my wife and I enjoy, and will return to. While others may have had reason to complain (non-judgemental here), that has not been our experience. While I wish the entrees were a couple of bucks cheaper, they are not out of line with other restaurants considering the location. I will gladly pay a couple of dollars more to eat riverside than in a strip mall beside Walmart.

We look forward to our next visit to the Edgewater Grille.

• Visited August 2013
Newburgh, Indiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“WORST”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The WORST dining experience I've ever had!!!! My sisters and I took my mother to Edgewater Grille in Newburgh to celebrate her birthday. My mother had taken a bite of her salad and as she was chewing, my sister reached over and pulled a long, dark hair from my mother's mouth! Definitely not my mom's! My mother was so disgusted and embarrassed, so I asked for the manager/owner, and she was immediately rude and defensive to me when I explained the issue. She did virtually nothing to make amends. The more my my sisters and I spoke, the more incensed I became, so I went over and asked the manager to comp the meal. She said, "I can't comp an $18 steak dinner." I said,"Well, then please discount it." She grudgingly agreed to do at least that. We were nearly finished with our meal, which was WAY overpriced for what it was, which wasn't very good, my mother stated that her steak was mostly fat, and that she'd been eating it, but she wasn't enjoying it. She showed us the pile of fat on her plate, and it was half the steak! So much for the discount! Most of it was inedible! On top of all that, when the meal was first delivered to us, we waited almost 10 minutes before we were given silverware to eat it with, and had to ask for it multiple times. By the time we began eating, our food had gotten cold. The manager/owner is awful. I couldn't believe she would be so rude to one of her patrons! I will never eat here again!!!!!

• Visited August 2013