“Best Western Replaces Holiday Inn Express to Good Benefit”

Best Western Plus West I-64
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in New Albany
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express a number of times when in the Louisville Area and it has suited me well. This fall, the owner switched affiliations after a rather complete renovation of the common areas and guest rooms. The theme is now much more modern (lots of clean lines and muted colors) and the result is quite nice. Overall feel is a bit more upscale but very welcoming. Though the reservations staff appeared to have difficulty during transition, all the rest of the staff (e.g., front desk, breakfast area, cleaning, etc.) are superb - very upbeat, friendly and efficient. The guest rooms are well-decorated with a requisite horse country motif, complete with new carpet, wall coverings, artwork and furniture. Bed is one of the most comfortable I have encountered recently, especially at a mid-level chain. Complimentary breakfast is standard fare but quite plentiful (and again the staff were very friendly and helpful). If you are in the Louisville area (and especially on the Indiana side of the border) you can't beat the value and accommodations at the new Best Western.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Monica P, General Manager at Best Western Plus West I-64, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Thank you for the wonderful response. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and our new beds! We are officially a Best Western Plus and training for reservations is ongoing, but I apologize if you experienced an inconvenience. Again, glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Dates of stay - 9/28-10/3/2013. I stayed here for a convention at the Louisville Kentucky Exposition Center. It was about a 12 mile drive to the expo center. I was not pleased that marketing booked a hotel so far away. Then on Tuesday night we discovered a nice little downtown area with a few bars and restaurants. The hotel was under renovation and ownership change to a best western. They are renovating the pool. A sign said that the pool would be done by 10/7/2013. I would check. As far as hotel renovations go, they hid it prettying well. Decent breakfast served - cereal, toast, muffins, bagels, cinnamon rolls, pancakes. Scrambled eggs, sausage and sausage gravy and biscuits (these were under a heat lamp and was not very appealing, so I stayed away). There is also a Subway connected to the hotel and a Waffle House across the parking lot. It is situated right off the highway and not in a visually appealing area. About 3/4 of a mile and easy, seemingly safe walking distance is a nice downtown area that seems to be experiencing a revival. Some good restaurants and bars. I went to the New Albanian Brewing Company. I would recommend that and will write a review under the restaurants section. Paid $106 per night and thought it was worth it. I would stay here again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your response. We are thrilled you enjoyed the town of New Albany. We have completed our renovation and the pool area is open! We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed here for a haunted house review weekend. The hotel itself looks nice on the inside. The room was newer and had fresh furniture and a new coat of paint but half the light bulbs were either missing or burned out. The carpet was newer in the hall but looked dirty in need of cleaning. The pool was closed for renovations and they advertise a "Bar" in the hotel. This is not true. They do not have a bar like the website advertises. Just a Subway next door and a free breakfast. The breakfast was good and there was a nice variety for a complimentary breakfast. All in all, for the price I would stay here again when in Louisville but they need to finish the renovations first.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for staying with us and for your response. I apologize for the miscommunication on the "bar" advertisement. I will ensure this was corrected. Our hotel has undergone a complete renovation and we hope you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was under renovation during our stay; not too disturbing at night but a lot of work going on during the day. Hallways are cluttered with people and parts. Staff was very friendly and helpful.
During our stay a sign just appeared in the lobby saying, the hotel was changing over to a Best Western. Now this make sence. This place isn't quite up to H-I standards, it's better suited as a Best Western. You can polish a turd but remember, it's still a turd.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for your response. We have completed a major renovation as of November 2013. We have all new beds and bedding, furniture, paint and carpet, plus much more. We upgraded our pool area and fitness center and we are now a Best Western Plus. Hopefully, you will give us a chance to show you all our improvements the next time you visit the area.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We were driving back frm the east coast and wanted to stop outside of Louisville and decided to stay in New Albany at the Holiday Inn Express. The hotel seemed newly remodeled and it has a very large breakfast area included in the room price. Our room was quiet and clean. The location was great with many restaurants a few blocks away.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary Elizabeth C, General Manager at Best Western Plus West I-64, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Hi Robert D.,

Thank you for sharing your very nice comments about your visit to our Holiday Inn Express. We are indeed still in the process of remodeling. It sounds like you stayed in one of our newer rooms and I am glad you enjoyed it. The next time you are passing through, we would love to have you stay with us! Our new, beautiful bedding package should be in by then too!

Best Regards,

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I grew up in New Albany and remember when the Holiday Inn was built. This past weekend we returned for a wedding and family gathering and chose HI Express as the place to stay. The staff that was on duty when we arrived made sure we got a quality room. They took time to explain about all the renovations going on and apologized for the mess we may come across in the hallway, but assured us they crew would clean it up when they were done for the day, which they did. Our room had a fresh coat of paint and new carpet. It was clean and neat, meeting our expectations for the 3 nights there. Every staff member we came across, from housekeeping to front desk, were very friendly and polite. The breakfast each morning was delicious and filling. It was good to be back in New Albany for a few days. My family and I appreciate the Holiday Inn for their services. We will definitely stay again whenever we return. Congratulations on your renovations and upgrades.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Mary Elizabeth C, General Manager at Best Western Plus West I-64, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear TomLee:

Thank you for sharing your most recent experience at the Holiday In Express New Albany. I am happy to concur that we are indeed getting a face lift. We are currently under renovation and estimate to have everything done within the next 4 weeks or so. My staff and I are excited to the see the end results and celebrate our newly remodeled hotel. I hope that you do come back to revisit. We will be changing hotel brands as well so just look for the "new kid on the block" the next time you are visiting the area.

Regards,

Reviewed September 6, 2013

One night stay. Hotel is undergoing renovations, seems a lot of rooms are closed at the moment. Felt pretty empty.
Room had very dirty carpets. Remark at the frontdesk said they are replacing it now. Then give me a room with a good carpet I would say. No great service.

The building itself is getting really old, will the renovations make up for this? Not sure. Room was smaller than usual with this kind of hotel.
Breakfast was fine, pancake machine and good refill. Usual HIE breakfast.

Room Tip: Demand an updated room with good carpets etc
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary Elizabeth C, General Manager at Best Western Plus West I-64, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Dear Hotelzoeker:

I am pleased to respond to your review from your most recent stay at our Holiday Inn Express. At the same time, I am thrilled to tell you that we are in midst of a renovation to overcome some of those areas your commented on that are old. Over the next 4-6 weeks we will have lots going on in the hotel to help modernize it and to prepare for a brand change. All of our guest rooms are receiving new carpet, new beds, new dream sleeper bedding packages, new artwork, a whole new lighting package to help us go green, and some new furnishings. In addition, we will have be renovating our public areas as well. The work has also begun in our exercise facility and the pool area will start in about a week or so.

We are so excited about these changes and hopefully, you will have the opportunity to check out the next time you are in the New Albany/Louisville area.

Regards,

Comfort Inn Corydon
Comfort Inn Corydon
#4 of 5 in Corydon
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Louisville North

Been to Best Western Plus West I-64? Share your experiences!