“Soon to be a Best Western, not the greatest H-I”

BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in New Albany
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Soon to be a Best Western, not the greatest H-I”
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was under renovation during our stay; not too disturbing at night but a lot of work going on during the day. Hallways are cluttered with people and parts. Staff was very friendly and helpful.
During our stay a sign just appeared in the lobby saying, the hotel was changing over to a Best Western. Now this make sence. This place isn't quite up to H-I standards, it's better suited as a Best Western. You can polish a turd but remember, it's still a turd.

• Stayed September 2013
Monica P, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thank you for your response. We have completed a major renovation as of November 2013. We have all new beds and bedding, furniture, paint and carpet, plus much more. We upgraded our pool area and fitness center and we are now a Best Western Plus. Hopefully, you will give us a chance to show you all our improvements the next time you visit the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Emporia, Kansas
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We were driving back frm the east coast and wanted to stop outside of Louisville and decided to stay in New Albany at the Holiday Inn Express. The hotel seemed newly remodeled and it has a very large breakfast area included in the room price. Our room was quiet and clean. The location was great with many restaurants a few blocks away.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary Elizabeth C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Hi Robert D.,

Thank you for sharing your very nice comments about your visit to our Holiday Inn Express. We are indeed still in the process of remodeling. It sounds like you stayed in one of our newer rooms and I am glad you enjoyed it. The next time you are passing through, we would love to have you stay with us! Our new, beautiful bedding package should be in by then too!

Best Regards,
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I grew up in New Albany and remember when the Holiday Inn was built. This past weekend we returned for a wedding and family gathering and chose HI Express as the place to stay. The staff that was on duty when we arrived made sure we got a quality room. They took time to explain about all the renovations going on and apologized for the mess we may come across in the hallway, but assured us they crew would clean it up when they were done for the day, which they did. Our room had a fresh coat of paint and new carpet. It was clean and neat, meeting our expectations for the 3 nights there. Every staff member we came across, from housekeeping to front desk, were very friendly and polite. The breakfast each morning was delicious and filling. It was good to be back in New Albany for a few days. My family and I appreciate the Holiday Inn for their services. We will definitely stay again whenever we return. Congratulations on your renovations and upgrades.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Mary Elizabeth C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear TomLee:

Thank you for sharing your most recent experience at the Holiday In Express New Albany. I am happy to concur that we are indeed getting a face lift. We are currently under renovation and estimate to have everything done within the next 4 weeks or so. My staff and I are excited to the see the end results and celebrate our newly remodeled hotel. I hope that you do come back to revisit. We will be changing hotel brands as well so just look for the "new kid on the block" the next time you are visiting the area.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 6, 2013

One night stay. Hotel is undergoing renovations, seems a lot of rooms are closed at the moment. Felt pretty empty.
Room had very dirty carpets. Remark at the frontdesk said they are replacing it now. Then give me a room with a good carpet I would say. No great service.

The building itself is getting really old, will the renovations make up for this? Not sure. Room was smaller than usual with this kind of hotel.
Breakfast was fine, pancake machine and good refill. Usual HIE breakfast.

Room Tip: Demand an updated room with good carpets etc
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary Elizabeth C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Hotelzoeker:

I am pleased to respond to your review from your most recent stay at our Holiday Inn Express. At the same time, I am thrilled to tell you that we are in midst of a renovation to overcome some of those areas your commented on that are old. Over the next 4-6 weeks we will have lots going on in the hotel to help modernize it and to prepare for a brand change. All of our guest rooms are receiving new carpet, new beds, new dream sleeper bedding packages, new artwork, a whole new lighting package to help us go green, and some new furnishings. In addition, we will have be renovating our public areas as well. The work has also begun in our exercise facility and the pool area will start in about a week or so.

We are so excited about these changes and hopefully, you will have the opportunity to check out the next time you are in the New Albany/Louisville area.

Spring Hill, Tennessee
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed at Holiday Inn Express two nights. The hotel staff were nice. The hotel seems to be a little run down...the elevator was a bit dirty and the door to my room didn't sit well (it kept sticking). The bed was good and the bathroom was good as well. They had good WiFi.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Jon G:

Thank you for visiting us at the Holiday Inn Express in New Albany, IN. As you may have noticed during your stay, we are in the midst of a property renovation. As a result of the renovation, I know the elevators have been experiencing more usage than usual. As I am sure you know, renovating anything is often a challenge. But on a positive note, we will have a totally fresh look in less than 6 weeks. I hope you have the opportunity to come back and check it out the next time you are visiting or passing through the New Albany/Louisville area.

Thank you again for taking time to share your experience.

Mount Vernon, Indiana
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed here over the Labor Day weekend. The hotel is going through a renovation, and the improvements are nice. It was somewhat noisy during the late hours, probably due to a youth team staying there. The air conditioning system is also noisy as it clicks on and off, hopefully this will be part of the renovations. The breakfast area was clean and well stocked. There is not much in the immediate area...a Subway that is connected to the hotel and a Waffle House next door. This hotel is right off the interstate across the river from Louisville. It is a nice hotel for the price.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Vicki M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience at the Holiday Inn New Albany. As you noticed, we are definitely renovating our fine establishment. The staff and I are really excited for all the new things coming our way -- new carpet, new beds, new bedding decor package, new artwork, new furnishings, some new exercise equipment, a newly renovated pool area and a new "green" lighting package for the rooms as well.

So please feel free to come and visit us the next time you are in the area.

Yours in Hospitality,

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed at Holiday Inn Express when they were very busy. I arrived late after a long day and was not expecting a whole lot. But Tom Howard greeted me and was very helpful and friendly! I could tell my day was going to be ok! The room was clean, comfortable, and breakfast was great just like Tom said it would be! It was a great night after an exhausting day thanks to the staff at Holiday Inn especially Tom.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Augustus A, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience that you had at our Holiday Inn Express. The staff is always striving to exceed the expectations of our guests. Tom is one of our newer team members and has definitely been a great addition to our staff. I hope you have the opportunity to visit us again in the near future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Albany
Galt House Hotel
Galt House Hotel
#26 of 95 in Louisville
Horseshoe Southern Indiana

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64? Share your experiences!