“Nice staff....I would choose 2 and a half circles if I could.”

BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in New Albany
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kingsport, Tennessee
“Nice staff....I would choose 2 and a half circles if I could.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

There should be a rating between "poor" and "average." This wasn't exactly "poor" but it was below average.

I've stayed at Holiday Inn Expresses before and they really do run the gamut, from outstanding (the one in Newport News, VA. beats hotels well above their class) to average (the one in Portland Oregon, across the river fro Vancouver, WA). This one, just across the river from Louisville, Ky, ranked in the Portland, Oregon category.

The staff was very friendly. The pool was nice. Halls and rooms smelled of smoke and "janitor" cleaner. The beds were comfortable. There are just better places to stay for $85/night. This one felt like a $50/night place. One other thing that left a bad impression on me was that they charged a $50 "incident" fee on my debit card. I was booked for two nights, so I checked my bank account looking for$180 to show up, but instead saw $226. I called the front desk and they told me it was a $50 incident fee that would be returned to me when I checked out. I said that this was never mentioned to me when I checked in...."but there's a card on our front desk that mentions this."

The fact is, the money is not returned when you check out because it takes up to 5 business days for a debit charge to be reversed. This means they deny me use of my own funds without my permission. How about you charge me for incidents after they happen, since you have my debit card information? I decided to cancel our second night stay...but here it is 24 hours after check out and that $226 charge is still held on my acct.

Also, the elevators are creaky and got stuck on the third floor a couple times.

Find another place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Augustus A, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear AVogt_11,
Thank you so much for your candid review of our Hotel. I apologize our hotel did not meet your expectations and please know that we are working everyday to improve and take all of our reviews seriously and work to resolve the issues for our future guests. Regarding the elevator that you mentioned it has been serviced and our service company notified of the issues. We have also reviewed our credit card authorization procedures and have improved this area immensely to better accommodate our guests are using debit cards.

Once again we greatly appreciate your feedback as it is vital to our industry for us to improve. I hope that you would see us again on your travels to the Louisville Area to see the wonderful changes we have made to the property.

Holiday Inn Express Louisville - NW

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Marysville, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I staying at the Holiday Inn in New Albany during the week of 1/28/13. The hotel was nice, the employees were great. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. I was having breakfast and wanted to have some ice in my water cup. Amanda was working the dining area and I asked if there was an ice machine she explained the ice machine was on the 2nd or 3rd floor. Then a few minutes later she comes back with a cup of ice for me. I didn't even ask her to get me ice she just went and got some for me. It was very nice.
The hotel has easy access to the highways. I would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Steph813,
Thank you so much for your kind review of our hotel and our great employee Amanda. As the general manager of the hotel is always a pleasure to see our team members recognized for the excellent work. Please know that we share all reviews with our team and corporate office. We greatly appreciate the feedback and look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the Louisville Area.

Brandenburg, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

My sister and I chose to stay here and we made the right decision. We were greeted by a very friendly and helpful employee, named Angela. What an asset she is to your hotel! Our room was nice and clean. The bed was very comfortable. The only thing we were not pleased with was the shower and sink.(The water took a very long time to get hot or even warm, really.) But overall, we were very happy with our overnight stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Augustus A, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Lee A, thank you so much for taking the time to help us recognize our GREAT team member Angela! She truly is, as you mentioned, a wonderful asset to the hotel. Along with her and our amazing housekeeping team we love to hear our guests and how pleased they were with the service they received and the cleanliness of their room.

I do apologize for the inconvenience of the water, and we are taking the time to investigate this issue in order to resolve it for your future stay.

We greatly thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay and look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the Louisville Area.

Spring Lake
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Everyone has been so kind and hospitable.

Carol in the breakfast area was absolutely superb! She went the extra mile to ensure we had a pleasant experience.

We liked getting a USA Today paper as well.
The fitness center was good but the elliptical machines were not very good. They need to be more sturdy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Mark G, Thank you so much for helping us recognize the GREAT team we have here at the Holiday Inn Express. As you mentioned Carol is an amazing asset to have in the breakfast area as she truly cares about her guests each and every morning.

As you mentioned with our fitness center, I do apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to seeing numerous changes to our hotel over the next year to include this area.

Once again, thank you for taking time to submit your review and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the Louisville Area.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

Ted and Kristi at the front desk were very helpful and professional. They mentioned the AAA discount. They helped with the business center and asked if there were any more service that they cound have provided. They talked about frequent stay program and how it would help with cost if we made many hotel stays.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Tom H, thank you so much for your great review of our AMAZING staff. Ted and Kristi are both extremely valuable employees who often go above and beyond for guest while they are staying in the Louisville area. They did mention our wonderful program, Priority Club Rewards, which is a great way to earn free nights at more than 4,000 hotels worldwide. Once again, we greatly appreciate your time in letting us know about your stay.

Campbellsville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

The moment we walked into the hotel everyone was welcoming. In the morning when i was at breakfast i wasn't very hungry, so i was offered a box and told i could take i back to my room. our room was very spacious and we couldn't hear anything from any of the surrounding rooms. it was an enjoyable stay and we will be back! :)

Room Tip: Jacoozi King Suite was so nice!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kenzee O, thank you for kind review! We do have a Great Full Hot Breakfast each morning, now with extended hours to meet our guest’s needs! We greatly appreciate your feedback concerning the quietness and spaciousness of your room and look forward to seeing you again!

Holiday Inn Express Louisville-NW
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

It's been a good 10 years since we stayed here, and we were most disappointed on our recent trip. If you are placed in a non-smoking king room in or near Room 208, be aware that it was probably at one time a smoking room. No amount of carpet cleaner can remove the odor, and I'm now laundering the clothing I was wearing while in the room because the stench permeated them. I kept my suitcase closed to protect the rest of my clothing. In order to make this a desirable non-smoking room, it would require REPLACING the carpet, drapes, mattresses, chairs, and the horribly stained ottoman. We didn't bother asking for another room as we were tired, doubted that other rooms would be any better, and really dislike picking up all our stuff and moving again. Just give us a good room the first time! The breakfast was OK. Maybe by the time we visit the area again, our family member will have the guest room ready at his new apartment.

Room Tip: Stay away from Room 208 or anything in its vicinity unless you don't mind the combination of smo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Augustus A, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear bkatona,

We greatly appreciate all feedback, both positive and negative as it helps us to work towards a better guest experience in the future. I deeply apologize for the condition in which you found your room and can positively state that the floor in mention was not a previous smoking floor. Unfortunatley in this case as a an all Non-Smoking hotel it seems this was not the case with your room. We publicly share all of our reviews with our staff so that we may get a better understanding of the guest perspective and your review was of great concern to our housekeeping staff who is making strides even this morning to provide a better room to our guests. We do offer a Full Hot Breakfast each morning to our guest, and I was saddened to understand that it was just "OK". If you have the time I would love to hear from you as to the reasoning behind this and any other issues you may have experienced. I can be reached at 812-945-2771 ext. 5103 where I would greatly appreciate the time to reverse the impression we have given you and invite you to see some new and exciting changes at the hotel, including but not limited to new carpet and a refresh of the property.

Once again thank you for your time and candid feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Albany
Galt House Hotel
#26 of 95 in Louisville
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,719 reviews
Horseshoe Southern Indiana

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64? Share your experiences!