“A good place if you must stay in New Albany.” 4 of 5 bubbles

BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in New Albany
GreenLeadersSilver level
Spring Lake, North Carolina, United States
“A good place if you must stay in New Albany.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here one night when New Albany was the only location that we wanted to stay at for the night. The location is in a bad part of downtown near the jail. The actual hotel is very clean inside, and the front desk was helpful.
I asked for the government rate when we arrived, but was charged the full rate after the receptionist confirmed that I would, in fact, receive it.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

This was a great location to stay for the destination I was headed for. I wanted to get out of Louisville so I didn't have to fight traffice going over the river in rush hour the next morning. It is an older building, upgraded to Holiday Inn Express standards. Well lit parking lot, room was very spacious as was the bathroom. My issue with this hotel was a oily residue found on just about everything I touched? I suspect a new employee used the wrong cleaning supply for dusting! The business center was not well lit, and again, that oily feeling was on the computer keys, the desk, the mouse...EVERYTHING! I didn't want to put my nightgown on the bathroom counter because it didn't feel clean.
My room, upon entering was quite "stale" in smell and feel. Turning up the air conditioning solved it after about a half hour. Have to admit, in the half hour I waited though, I did consider changing hotels. But, I was tired from my long drive AND it was close to where I wanted to be the next morning.
The EXCELLANT thing about this hotel is 2 fold! The employees at the front desk are super great! AND THERE IS A SUBWAY with direct inside access from the hotel without going outside the building! This was great for a lady traveling alone! There were very few places to eat in the immediate neighborhood, unless you wanted Waffle House across the street. I felt very safe just walking through the glass door from the breakfast area into Subway, getting my sandwich and relaxing in my room.
The girl working the breakfast the next morning was not overly friendly and seemed distracted...no smile and kept her head down alot. I was sad that the pancake machine wasn't working, as they ware super great pancakes! The food was hot and enjoyable, as was the coffee...the most important thing to me in the morning!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Evansville, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were greeting by a very friendly hostess of the hotel. The rooms were nice size and clean. The only complaint was the mattress was needing to be replaced. We would lay down and roll to the middle. We stayed two nights. They have a good hot breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

The hospitality here was great but the reality is that this hotel is old and it shows. My biggest problem here was that the room was so humid, I really had trouble sleeping. The bed was comfortable but because of the humidity, it didn't matter. The elavators were questionable too, slow and made a lot of noises that they shouldn't. I paid about $110 for the night and didn't feel like I got an experience anywhere close to other places I have stayed at for the same price. Bottom line...it's an old hotel and I won't stay again when I return to Louisville KY.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Fenton, MO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have stayed at the New Albany, IN Holiday Inn Express numerous times, only because our daughter lives down the street and there aren't many hotel options in New Albany.

My husband and I are non-smokers and always request for a non-smoking room. During one of our stays, we had to deal with the smell of cigarette smoke coming through the bathroom vent. The hotel apologized for the inconvenience and was generous enough to waive our bill on our next stay, which they did!

We stayed at the New Albany Holiday Inn Express again this past weekend and had three more unpleasant occurances. First of all, I noticed water on the bathroom floor. I assumed perhaps it was residue from the housekeeping mopping the floor prior to our arrival. When we arrived back at our hotel much later that night, the bathroom floor had even more water and it was then that I realized the toilet was leaking around the base. Before we had a chance to call the front desk about the toilet, the smoke alarm started beeping, indicating it had a low battery. By this time it was mid-night, the lady at the front desk apologized and suggested we move to another room. She gave us a few minutes to pack up our things and then helped us move down the hall. The new room was great except we spent the next two nights dealing with the fitted sheet popping off the corners of the mattress. We have had that problem before at that hotel and I mentioned it to one of the housekeepers in the hallway. She said, "Oh, all of the fitted sheets do that!" It would be nice if the Holiday Inn were to get new sheets with deep corner pockets to properly fit the thick mattresses. Also, we had a hard time regulating the AC. The room got too cold when the AC was running and too stuffy when it wasn't running, we never could get the AC regulated to a comfortable temperature.

On a positive note, the New Albany, IN Holiday Inn Express is clean and they have an awesome free hot buffet breakfast and delicious coffee. The employees at the front desk are friendly and as Priority Club Members, they always give us a snack and a bottle of cold water upon our arrival. Oh, the hotel also give us 1000 extra Priority Club points this time for the inconvenience of having to move to another room at mid-night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brookville, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend away. We were there on Friday and Saturday night. The hotel was quiet and the room was nice and clean. We booked a jacuzzi suite and the only thing I was disappointed with was the size of the tub. It was only large enough for one person and the jets themselves were not very strong. I was disappointed that my husband and I could not enjoy it together. The staff was fabulous and the breakfast was more than I expected. The air conditioner leaked in our room but we did not notice until we were checking out. I informed the front desk and they apologized and were very gracious. I would definitely return to this hotel but would not pay extra for a Jacuzzi. All in all a great stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GHSsales, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS West I-64, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for your recent visit and your review of the Holiday Inn Express Louisville NW. We appreciate your feedback. Thank you for complimenting our staff! We have shared your comments with our team.
We were happy you enjoyed the complimentary hot breakfast. The pancake maker has been a favorite this season. We were disappointed to hear that you could not enjoy the Jacuzzi tub with your husband. We hope that you were able to take advantage of the extra large indoor heated pool and possibly a nice restaurant that is nearby to help celebrate your weekend get-away. We hope that you will visit us again and welcome you back real soon!
Stollings, WV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

One of the best hotel staff's I have ever encountered, They are over the top accommodating and proactive to be sure you are satisfied. This is an older property but it is in better shape then many newer building. Louisville is very convenient without having to be right in the city. This has jumped to the top of my list as a prefered hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the rear of the hotel are easily accessed by the back elevator and closer to parking.