“Clean”

Best Western Plus West I-64
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in New Albany
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend away. We were there on Friday and Saturday night. The hotel was quiet and the room was nice and clean. We booked a jacuzzi suite and the only thing I was disappointed with was the size of the tub. It was only large enough for one person and the jets themselves were not very strong. I was disappointed that my husband and I could not enjoy it together. The staff was fabulous and the breakfast was more than I expected. The air conditioner leaked in our room but we did not notice until we were checking out. I informed the front desk and they apologized and were very gracious. I would definitely return to this hotel but would not pay extra for a Jacuzzi. All in all a great stay!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
GHSsales, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus West I-64, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Thank you for your recent visit and your review of the Holiday Inn Express Louisville NW. We appreciate your feedback. Thank you for complimenting our staff! We have shared your comments with our team.
We were happy you enjoyed the complimentary hot breakfast. The pancake maker has been a favorite this season. We were disappointed to hear that you could not enjoy the Jacuzzi tub with your husband. We hope that you were able to take advantage of the extra large indoor heated pool and possibly a nice restaurant that is nearby to help celebrate your weekend get-away. We hope that you will visit us again and welcome you back real soon!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

One of the best hotel staff's I have ever encountered, They are over the top accommodating and proactive to be sure you are satisfied. This is an older property but it is in better shape then many newer building. Louisville is very convenient without having to be right in the city. This has jumped to the top of my list as a prefered hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the rear of the hotel are easily accessed by the back elevator and closer to parking.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
GHSsales, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus West I-64, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Thank you for your recent visit and review of the Holiday Inn Express Louisville NW. We appreciate your comments! Our staff works diligently to provide the guest service experience you deserve! Your recognition has been shared with our teams. We are honored to be at the top of your list as it shows that you are at the top of ours! We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed one night traveling through the area. We were met be a clerk at the desk who couldn't have been more helpful. My impression then was that if the hotel is half as good as the clerk, this is a 5 star deal. The room was fine and clean. Good and clean bed, pillows, bathroom, shower and TV. Curtains and furnishings were fine. Typical Holiday Inn Express breakfast which was fine, served in a clean efficient atmosphere. No noise, but we were there on a Sunday night. Only negative was the carpets in the hallways, stained and musty. But for that, 4 stars.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent visit and review of the Holiday Inn Express Louisville NW. We appreciate your feedback. Your comments have been shared with our team. Your recognition keeps them motivated to continue providing the guest service you so deserve! We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

The service at this hotel is excellent upbeat and attentive. The beds are new and good. The breakfast is typical express choices- we stay at Express often. The carpet in the hallways and rooms was badly stained and splitting at the seams. The elevators were a bit scary although we did not get stuck. The property looks like a former Holiday Inn. The indoor pool is the indicator although we could not get close to it for all of the teenagers flooding the area all night. The price was way way too high for what we got.
I actually chose this over the Holiday Inn down the road because it was an Express and would be newer cleaner and up to date. What I got was a more expensive $40 more than any of the other Holiday Inn products in the area, old Holiday Inn over run by easily 200 teenagers participating in some choral experience nearby.
That meant that we could not use the pool- they actually said we should avoid it because of all of the kids, also meant breakfast was non existent. We came to breakfast around 7 and the room was over run with kids just hanging out- I know that is not really the hotels problem but OTOH yes it is. I paid 150 for bad night and morning. I traveled from Norfolk Va and in choosing the hotel as we approached Louisville decided it would be worth the difference to have a nice clean new place beyond the city in a small suburb north of the big city where we could relax in the pool and hot tub, get a good nights sleep grab our breakfast and head on to Chicago.
I felt sorry for the man trying to oversee the breakfast room. The garbage cans were overflowing. All the tables full even though the room was large and the food was gone. The famous rolls- the machine had been turned off. He could not keep food in the serving trays. But as I said they chose to have these huge groups then they should have been ready to accommodate them - open the conference room which was not being used as other hotels do. Up the staff for this and be prepared for the groups as well as the unsuspecting weary travelers. I wish I had chosen any other hotel in the area and they were all less than this one- go figure.
I use Express often when we are on the road because they are supposed to follow some specific standards which include being new, having new bedding and being maintained in good to excellent condition regardless of age. I never worry about an experience like this. After I check in I like to unwind in the pool a bit and there are often children there but nothing like this and In the morning I like a cup of coffee a piece of fruit maybe some yogurt or a bisquit but standing in along line for coffee in a crowded messy room with no fruit yogurt etc. I am still trying to figure out the expense of the hotel- certainly not the ambience.
BTW watch out for all of the one way streets in this little town. All the streets seem to be one way around the hotel making it awkward to get in and out. This is just something to know about the area. We ended up going the wrong way while trying to get back into the back parking lot and when we came out the next day, waited while someone else tried to get off of one way going the wrong way onto another one way still going the wrong way. I think the signs are not very prominent and the on off ramps are also awkward.
Wish I had read the other reviews here but I was on the road and trusting the product. If you consider staying here, take the time to call and ask how many large groups will be there and if they have replaced the carpet yet. BTW I did not notice renovation in progress but I may have missed it. The hard part is that the staff is working hard to compensate for the issues of the hotel but it is a business. Drop the price, explain you are in renovation, explain that you cater to large groups because the hotel is big. Learn to make consideration for the other travelers unless you do not want their business. Abd if so let that be known too.

Room Tip: If you are going to be in and out there is an elevator at the back of the hotel which is handy but a...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
GHSsales, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus West I-64, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Express Louisville NW and thank you for your recent review. We appreciate your business and your feedback.
First and foremost, we would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations. We appreciate ALL guests' business and want each and every person visiting us to feel welcomed and enjoy every aspect of their stay.
Secondly, we would like to assure you that what you experienced is not the norm at our facility. You happened to be in the Louisville area during a time of a very large convention. The youth groups we had in the hotel were at all surrounding hotels this week. All measures were taken to provide meeting space for these groups to use while visiting. But there are times when all guests in the hotel will occupy the same space such as in the mornings when the groups are leaving for the day.
We are happy to offer our complimentary hot breakfast, but at times, some guests do go a little overboard and take much more than they can eat. We try our best to keep up with the demand, while also remaining respectfull. We dont like to hear that anyone missed out on any of the amenities we offer.
Our staff received several compliments on how well we accommodated everyone during this extremely busy week. There is always room for improvement, and we have made notes on how we can do better! We apologize that we fell short of providing you the experience you deserve. We would hope that you change your mind and give us another chance when in the area again.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Recently stayed here on business a total of 9 room nights, and between the 3 of us its doubtful if we ever stay here again! If hotel management wants to verify we were here, the reservation was under the name J. MacMullin, on a CLC card.

There was a group of kids here at same time we were, totally unsupervised.....they thought that they ran this hotel, and could not care less that other guests were here....apparently their chaperones did not care either.....and it was obvious hotel staff didn't care either, because repeated calls/complaints to front desk fell on deaf ears.

Recommendations have already been made to our corporate travel department to not book this hotel again.....if you are coming here, think twice, or bring earplugs with you! There is a Subway off the lobby I recommend, but thats the only thing about this property worth talking about.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Mr Macmillin,

Thank you for your recent stay, and review of the Holiday Inn Express Louisville NW. We appreciate your feedback. However, we were disappointed, and surprised that you were so unhappy with your visit. We are aware that during your stay, we also had a youth convention in house. At times of their arriving and departing the hotel, it may be a little more challenging to manuever around the property. We understand the frustration this may cause.
We discuss all reviews with our staff and management so that we can better seve our guests. During the discussion of your review, our General Manager mentioned that he had spoken to you on several occasions and that you did not mention any problems, but in fact complimented him on his service. We encourage you to inform us of any inconveniences you may occur while staying with us. We appreciate the opportunity to correct any issues as they arise. We apologize that you feel we were not accommodating to your needs. But please know that we do value your business and welcome you back when in the area again.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

This is a tough review to write. The staff was so great I hate to say anything bad about the property, but it was not so great.

Check-in was a breeze, friendly and efficient staff. Housekeeping staff does a good job considering the condition of the rooms. The manager was welcoming, stopping by to chat in the community room. Wednesday evening brought a reception with drinks and a nice pasta selection from a local restaurant.

We appreciated the 'clean remote' - - first time I've seen one of those. Fantastic water pressure in the shower.

However . . . the property itself is in dire need of attention. The carpet was stained and dingy; the armchair just plain nasty looking. The sheer curtains were frayed and there were holes in the privacy curtain.

Lots of younger construction crews and their 'friends' staying here and it got a little noisy at night. Two nights in a row we had drunk-dialers calling our room in the very wee hours of the morning.

All things considered, I'm afraid I probably won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
GHSsales, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus West I-64, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Thank you for your recent visit to the Holiday Inn Express Louisville NW. We appreciate your staying with us and reviewing our property. We apologize that we fell short of your expectations in delivering the product that you deserve. As you mentioned, our carpets were in need of cleaning during your visit. This is something we do regularly at the property. Unfortunately, we were not able to get to them all in a timely manner during this rotation. Thank you for bringing to our attention the window coverings that needed replacing. We are in the process of correcting this problem.
We were pleased to see that you commented on our staff. We are very fortunate to have genuinely friendly, helpful, and passionate group of people on our team! Please know that we are not finished with the updates to our hotel. We are thrilled with what we have done so far and are excited for what is to come. We would love for you to give us a call the next time you are in town so that you can see the improvements we have made!

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I read several of the review about this hotel. We stayed here 18 years ago, it was older then. This visit was a pleasant surprise. Although there is no lounge now, like there was before, the breakfast area is very nice. Breakfast was a large variety. The eggs were a bit odd, either scrambled one day or "omelet" the next. Avoid both if you can find other things you like. My dad loved the pancake maker! My adult children enjoyed the yogurts and bagels w/peanut butter. There were several choices of hot drinks and cold.
The pool is very nice. Large. The exersize room was well supplied.
Our room had a marvelous bed. So comfortable. The linens were clean and fresh. The pillows new. The bathroom was very spacious. The towels were huge, and just coarse enough to dry well. The black-out curtain was due to be replaced according to the staff, but it worked fine for us. The carpet was a bit stained, but we weren't lying on the carpet! It is due to be replaced as well. Our children had a double room across the hall. It was nice to be able to put the security lock across the door to allow us to walk back and forth. The manager even checked to make sure we were ok because we did this. I thanked him for being aware of what was happening.
We could hear some noise from the hall when a large group came in or left, but normally the place was quiet.
My mother and I loved the lotions/shampoo/conditioner. They had a great scent.
The remodel is proceeding you see signs of it everywhere but it does not affect your visit. We only had a problem with both elevators. Both had someone working on each daily. We never got stuck, but I did talk to a maid that was caught in the back elevator twice in one day.
The business center was a nice addition. I printed our return airline tickets in the middle of the night, at no charge.
All of the front desk people were courteous, friendly and very helpful. The housekeeping staff and the maintenance staff were very nice.
This hotel is on it's way up!

Room Tip: A/C units have new controls on the wall, not on the "in window" unit. They keep the rooms...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your kind review of our property! We appreciate your choosing our Holiday Inn Express and letting others know about your experience with us. We love to hear about our guests enjoying the clean rooms, extra large pool, spacious fitness center, and complimentary hot breakfast. Most of all, we love to hear that our guests were warmly welcomed, acknowledged during their stay, and left feeling like family! We look forward to seeing you again... Dont stay away so long next time!

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Albany
Best Western Green Tree Inn
#2 of 7 in Clarksville
Hyatt Regency Louisville
#11 of 102 in Louisville
Central Business District
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Louisville Downtown

Been to Best Western Plus West I-64? Share your experiences!