“Peculiar but tasty!”

Onion Restaurant and Tea House
Ranked #30 of 159 Restaurants in New Albany
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

It's a strange place but the food was extremely good. I ordered the General Tsao chicken lunch special. At $9.60 I thought it was priced well.

1  Thank BryanJ1982

Reviewed January 13, 2014

This was one of the best dishes of General Tso I have ever had. It was very flavorful, crispy on the outside and soft on inside. The rice was well cooked and the egg roll was perfect. I was blown away at how great it tasted. The hostess was fantastic and talked to me the entire time while I waited on my food. This was my first but not last experience!!

The only thing that kept this from a 5 of 5 is that I really disliked the chicken veggie soup. I would pass on it next time!! The price was a touch high but not too bad.

1  Thank adam b
Reviewed September 26, 2013

The food was good. The presentation was good. The value was good. The awkward part? Everything. Finding the place and then navigating to it. Our server was well-intentioned and intent on providing good service but clearly lacked training specific to this restaurant. Every question about the menu required a trip to talk to someone in the kitchen. The "vegetarian" menu listed multiple meat dishes, chicken this and spare rib that. The owner explained that the dishes are prepared as if they had meat and that the tofu substituted for the meat was even shaped to resemble the meat it replaced. That should be clear on the menu, which it was not. (Another instance where our server had to go back to the kitchen; at this point the owner simply came to the table to try to answer all our questions at once.) My dessert came out well in advance of my wife's; they should have arrived at the table at the same time. But the owner and the server were sincere and the food really was quite good, hence the above-average rating.

1  Thank Rich R
Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

This family run establishment is really great. The portions are hearty. The food is freshly prepared and the price is right. Try their fruit teas for a real treat.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I don't even live close to New Albany, but if I am in the area. I have to visit The Onion. There are so many great things to rave about this place. Be warned it is a difficult to find the right road to get to it. Turn off at the realty office and car wash and follow the road back. Parking is in the back.

It is a residential house turned into a Japanese restaurant and teahouse. If you go at lunchtime, they have an excellent box lunch delivered in a ceramic box. I really enjoy this because you can pick your entree, type of rice, roll and soup. Cashew chicken and sweet and sour soup is my favorite.

Don't miss out on the fruit tea. The restaurant is best known for. It is huge and delicious and may fill you up. There are entrees you can cook at your table as well as dinners served on their own flaming tray, if you like something out of the ordinary, then you might pick one of these.

Service is great at this family-owned business. Prices are unbelievably low. This is a gem of a restaurant that you don't want to miss.