“Late lunch”

Artist's Colony Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 49 Restaurants in Nashville
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Late lunch with friends - we were a group of 7 arriving around 2 PM, and they were busy, so we were not able to sit together, which was not a problem. 2 of us at our table had the broccoli and cheese quiche and Italian vegetable soup. The soup was very good - the quiche a little bland. Another at my table had the spicy potato soup, which she said was VERY good. Scott was our server and he was very nice, although he did not come back to fill up our water glasses and we had to ask another server who was walking by. Very quaint atmosphere - I would try this restaurant again.

Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I visited this restaurant on a Sunday evening, August 3rd, around 6pm. The restaurant was somewhat full. We sat outside on the porch which was nice. It was several minutes before we were greeted and several more before we received our waters. Friends recommended the Sweet Potato Fries with the sweet syrup dip. We ordered the appetizer portion and it was huge! Enough for 4 people to split! They were thin, crispy, hot and addicting with that syrup dip! We ordered the Meatloaf Manhattan for dinner. It is a slice of meatloaf on top of mashed potatoes on top of two slices of bread covered in brown gravy. It was a small portion for the price. I hate to say it but it tasted like something from a public school cafeteria. I would never order that again. The family sitting adjacent to us ordered a dish with corn as a side it I heard the father say it tasted like they dumped canned corn on his plate. Perhaps we should have ordered something different. The service was slow at best. We had to hail the waitress down for a refill. My advice, get some sweet potato fries for an appetizer and head somewhere else for the main course.

2  Thank lehilovesutah2001
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Went for lunch on a summer weekday. Prices and food quality get rave reviews.

Sign outside says "no strollers". I own a $300.00 baby stroller and was not comfortable leaving it outside unattended AND there were only 2 other tables in the restaurant so I went ahead and pushed the baby(6 weeks old mind you) in the stroller. An older man (manager I assume) shot me a look and stared and mumbled something about a stroller... I didn't say a word or react. Then the waitress was a little bland, no people skills, no smiles, very short. And don't ask for coffee, you will get instant coffee in hot water.

1  Thank hun83
Reviewed July 31, 2014

We bought tickets for the buffet for $5 each while booking our overnight stay. What a great breakfast for $5. If you leave hungary, there is something wrong. Will definitely return to this restaurant.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

We dined here this summer on a Saturday late afternoon after visiting the town of Nashville. It was a lovely summer day and we had taken our little 10-pound dog with us for the day. We noted this restaurant had an outdoor porch dining area attached on the side with an empty table. Not thinking and seeing no line at the door, we seated ourselves thinking that was what you do. Since it was outside we thought it fine to have our dog with us and she remained on a leash under the table at my husband's feet sitting on concrete i might add that was not as clean as her and she was not making so much as a peep the entire time.
After we'd been seated a bit, patiently waiting for a server, a man came stomping toward our table and all red-faced demanded: "You seated yourselves, DIDN"T YOU???" To which we replied, "yes, we thought that would be ok." Nope. He went on and on and on loudly in front of the other tables of diners seated next to us about how we should have asked first, he may have needed the table for someone else and on and on, back to his refrain of "you SHOULD HAVE asked!!!". Several times we tried to interrupt him, apologize and say we would gladly vacate the table if he needed it for other diners. No answer - he just stomped off. We sat there dumbfounded. A very nice waiter came right out to take our order, we explained we had just gotten "into trouble" with what we assumed was the manager or owner and perhaps we shouldn't be sitting there. The waiter, lovely man that he was, said, "no, no, - this is not a busy time for us and I wasn't doing anything - I'd be happy to serve you." That being said and us figuring ok, this nice man makes up for the other, we placed our orders right through dessert. Food came out promptly. I had the quiche and some kind of cheese ham potato soup. Quiche - medicore - flat, not fluffy and full of sausage chunks which I was not anticipating (it was called a "three (or four) cheese quiche". The soup was a very unfortunate gray-brown kind of dirt color which made it off-putting. Husband had meatloaf sandwich he said was good (but he's never met a bad sandwich).
As we were in the middle of our lunch, oh no but who should appear again, stomping toward our table all red-faced again. This time, manager man confronted us about us having a dog there and how we should not have the dog there (implying we had somehow snuck her in) and once again shouting about how we should have asked, blah, blah, - the man's voice does not have a quiet mode I tell you. Again, in front of all the other diners. He yelled on and on about how it was against the Board of Health rules and they could be fined and demanded "that the dog has to leave!!!!". After I had swallowed the mouthful of food I had when he began his verbal assualt #2 on us, I asked, "are you the proprietor?" to which he yelled back that no, he was one of the managers. I later found out his name is Chet. Keep that in mind because trust me, you don't want to have an encounter with him. I responded he was certainly lacking in manners. To which he again just stomped off. Mind you, he never once told us WE had to leave - just our dog. Did he really think we'd just go lock her in the car on an 85 degree day? Or what, tell her to go across the street while we finished our meal? What an idiot.
In the meantime, the waiter comes out with a bowl of water which the waiter himself had volunteered to bring out to our dog. We didn't ask for it. As he the manager had just attacked us again for the second time and this time it was about the dog. I also said we were so upset that we would just like our check, please cancel any dessert and bring the check. The waiter apologized profusely, went back into get our checks and then get this. Even though we were outside on the porch, with a wall and a door between us, as the waiter went inside the restaurant, I heard Mr. Chet the Crazy Manager screaming at the waiter, "DID YOU JUST TAKE THAT LADY A BOWL OF WATER FOR THAT DOG?????" Clearly Chet is not an animal fan! It should be noted the whole time Crazy Chet is ranting and raving and suppposedly worried about getting a Board of Health fine there is a huge horse with a carriage standing not 10 feet away at the sidewalk where the carriage/horse park to get tourists to take a ride. And drawing flies...
We paid our bill, left a more than generous tip for the waiter because after all, it wasn't his fault, and then I took a few moments to fill out the comment card that was included with our bill, asking that someone contact us about the terrible experience we'd had there. We left. Anot not a moment too soon.
Frankly, our experience with Crazy Chet ruined our entire day. Never have I encountered such a rude person who is in the business of tourists and customer service. The man should not be allowed to deal with people at all! He screamed at us as though we were kindergartners on a day trip irritating him. Total nutjob.
When we returned home that evening, i completed a contact request on this establishment's website and said I'd really like to speak with them and hear what they had to say before I posted our experience on a website. Never heard a word from them. Not in response to the comment card (which I'm guessing Mr. Crazy tore up) nor to my website request. Clearly the owners don't gtive a darn. I've noted other people in their reviews of this hotel/restaurant have had unpleasant encounters with a manager that by description I'm certain is Chet. I did call the county board of health and found out Chet was wrong - it is NOT against the regulations to have a dog at an outdoor dining area as long as the dog is on a leash (she was) and the area is not a food preparation area, i.e. kitchen (it was not). So in addition to being a lunatic, Chet plays loosley with the truth.
Don't waste your money. Go somewhere where you will be treated with the respect you deserve as a customer. And where the owner's care how their management treats the clientele. Also, Chet, if you're reading this, you may have thought you were embarassing us but truly you only served to embarrass yourself by your behavior. Also, here are a couple of ideas, Chet - if you have to go inside to be seated, POST A SIGN AT THE PORCH DOOR or wall off the porch so people have to go in the front entrance. And if you don't want dogs, again, POST A SIGN. You'll save yourself that heart attack you're working yourself into!

7  Thank kh10701

Been to Artist's Colony Restaurant? Share your experiences!