TripAdvisor
Nashville
Post
Inbox
Search

“Yea, Its Not Convenient but Worth the Effort”
Review of Story Inn

Story Inn
Ranked #11 of 55 Restaurants in Nashville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: 160 year old village turned boutique bed & breakfast featuring unique overnight accommodations in the towns original cottages. The original general store is now the Story Inn Restaurant which serves brunch and dinner featuring seasonal New American cuisine, paired with an award winning wine list. The Story Still, located below the restaurant offers a full bar with a rotating Hoosier micro beer collection. Story offers several unique wedding and event venues, including a 100 year old barn, gardens, and old mill.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We went here for dinner last weekend and I was very, very pleasantly surprised! It is a very cool atmosphere with great service and a killer wine list that was an excellent surprise! Food is thoughtfully prepared, local and seasonal and offers an upscale Indiana dinner experience. Well worth the trouble to make the trip.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (327)

Reviewed September 15, 2019 via mobile

My wife and I checked into the Story Inn recently, having made reservations back in July. I was having trouble finding availability and the staff was very thoughtful in responding and giving me their limited availability. I very much appreciated it.
Upon arriving to the Inn, we immediately ran into a situation we thought, “what did we get ourselves into?”.
Waiting at the check-in we observed a gentleman in front of us, carrying a plastic cup of beer and obviously intoxicated, being approached by what I assume was the owner. He asked the gentleman to step outside because he had smoked in one of their rooms and they had to talk about it. The gentleman became a little irate as they moved outdoors.
My wife and I moved up to the agent to check in. She asked for the last name and handed us keys. I didn’t have to present an ID, the card used to pay for the room, or any other details which I thought was strange.
We went back out to the car to get our overnight bag and we could hear the intoxicated gentleman screaming obscenities on the “front porch” of the Inn.
We went up to our room and let ourselves in. We were greeted with a nice, cool, room. We read ahead of time that there were no TVs at the Inn but WiFi was provided. We stayed in the Lieber room because I loved the idea of having a private balcony which was really nice.
The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was no frills but got the job done. There was no fridge (it was in a community area) and no phone to contact the front desk. There was also no alarm clock. Simple things that aren’t a big deal, but still a little odd. Upon completing our looking around we went to sign into the WiFi (as we had zero service leading up to this point). My wife tried to connect to the WiFi but it wouldn’t let her. We went back downstairs to check things out more and ask about the wireless internet. A different young lady was working the desk and told us that the internet would be spotty in our room. AKA, it’s not going to work.
We went down to the basement area to check out the tavern and found several people talking over their pints. One bartender was working. She was super sweet but obviously needed more help. 1 drink was all I was able to order. More and more people were showing up for cocktails.
We showered and got nestled in for the evening. Right outside, and under, our balcony was the outdoor area for the tavern. Needless to say the noise was a problem until well after 1:00 AM.
After finally managing to drift asleep we were startled awake around 4:00 AM by the loudest noise I had ever heard. It sounded like a shotgun going off right underneath us. I stayed awake until 4:30 anticipating a knock on the door by management to tell us someone killed them selves in the Inn.
We woke up for the day at 6:45 and enjoyed out balcony for a little while before having a super delicious breakfast downstairs in the restaurant.
Here’s the takeaway folks:
The owners of the Inn want to paint Story Inn as a destination area. We anticipated a romantic evening (TV free) and were met with, basically, the local bar full of loud people and motorcycles. WiFi shouldn’t be offered as an amenity because it just doesn’t work and made it impossible for us to reach family and check in.
Signs need to be posted asking for quiet time after 10 or 11 (I’m no prude but by 10 I was getting tired and sleeping just wasn’t in the cards due to all the hell raising going on 10 feet below us, outside.
The Story Inn restaurant is delicious. The rooms are nice and quaint. But the tavern is a magnet of noise and made me feel like I lived above a college bar in Boston. Definitely not worth over $200 a night in peak times.
I am incredibly thankful for the young lady who checked us out and offered a $50 refund due to the noise. She even said that having that room is a 50/50 gamble because of the noise. This needs to be advertised as well.
I’ll be back to eat when I visit neighboring Nashville but I’ll stay somewhere closer to there since this just didn’t cut it.

Reviewed September 8, 2019 via mobile

We were visiting the Brown County State Park for a Saturday car show and decided to use TripAdvisor’s recommendation of The Story Inn for lunch. I was a little hesitant when we drove up. The building is rusted and looks old. But there were lots of cars/ motorcycles in the parking lot, so we pushed open the creaky old door and went in.
What a pleasant surprise! We were warmly greeted and given a sunlit table after we used our phones to light up the menu (they can use better lighting). My husband’s French toast was thick and delicious, and my egg breakfast was wonderful. The jams tasted homemade. Mmmm.
There is no cell service at this “inconvenient location”, but they have very fast Wi-Fi. So drive a little and have a wonderful meal.

Reviewed September 2, 2019 via mobile

Food was delicious. The AC was going full blast so if you get cold easy take a light jacket or sweater in with you.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed August 29, 2019

We stayed overnight in the Schultz Haus Back. Our experience started off great with a warm welcome from Director, Kelsey Conley. Our room was perfectly clean and very inviting. The AC was set before hand making the room cool upon our early arrival. Kelsey went out of her way to accommodate our comfort and convenience. All of the staff was friendly and welcoming. They were willing to go above and beyond, even stay a little late to serve us and a few other lingering guests at the Tavern. Other guests were super friendly and it was so easy to feel like we fit right in. The atmosphere is peaceful and relaxing, like a step back in time. The grounds and buildings are well kept with a rustic touch. It is absolutely beautiful! We will definitely be back for day trips throughout the year and have decided to make an overnight stay an annual tradition for us.

Date of visit: August 2019

Been to Story Inn? Share your experiences!