“terrible food....”

Ranked #11 of 49 Restaurants in Nashville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: 160 year old village turned boutique bed & breakfast featuring unique overnight accommodations in the towns original cottages. The original general store is now the Story Inn Restaurant which serves brunch and dinner featuring seasonal New American cuisine, paired with an award winning wine list. The Story Still, located below the restaurant offers a full bar with a rotating Hoosier micro beer collection. Story offers several unique wedding and event venues, including a 100 year old barn, gardens, and old mill.
Reviewed May 9, 2010

Loved the scenic relaxing drive out to the Inn, but the food was terrible. I had the dry, flat no flavor quiche. My son had the unedible biscuts & gravy. My husband had the fish & it again was not fit for human consumption. We will never go back... Also, when I am trying to enjoy a relaxing day I DO NOT want to have the owners political views shoved down my throat! Tacky!!!

1  Thank wildgourd

Reviewed December 21, 2009

My sister and I ate here on Sauturday, 12/19, for their Victorian Candlelight dinner. The staff was dressed in Victorian outfits, the atmosphere was all by candlelight and quite ellegant, and they had two violinists playing Christmas music. It was truely perfect! I had the pork chop and my sister had the beef fillet. Both were prepared excellently. Honestly, I haven't had a meal this good since I was in Chicago, where I ate at restaurant at the top of the Hancock Building. I really enjoy a good meal -- and I was pleasantly surprised at how wonderful my meal was. The atmosphere, service and food were all 5-star. I have eaten at a few Michelin Star restaurants and this restaurant would be a contender. I rarely recommend restaurants because, like I said before, I am an advid eater and can be very judgemental with resaurants -- but this place is well worth the visit.

1  Thank Sightseeing_Girl1124
Reviewed December 1, 2009

Family Dinner on Thanksgiving at the Story Inn Restaurant was perfect place to celebrate the holiday. A plus was seeing a flock of wild turkey along SR135 on the drive to the Inn.

Reviewed November 14, 2009

Our family of 4 was in Brown County for fall break and staying at Rawhide Ranch's Buck Inn. We were intrigued by reports of the restaurant's ghost story and, rural preservation and dining reviews and weren't disappointed by the food or decor.

From the moment we stepped into the restaurant which is in a former General Store, we felt like we'd stepped back in time to a more relaxed, less hectic space. The grocery store memorabilia and architectural fragments used to decorate the restaurant combined with the original tin roof ceiling and hardwood floors contribute to the ambiance. We were quickly greeted, seated (we'd made reservations for our Thursday night dinner earlier in the day) and encouraged to explore the restaurant once we'd ordered our meal.

The restaurant doesn't have a kids' menu, but our waitress suggested we order off the lunch menu for our 9 and 11 year olds. The entrees ranged from the high teens to mid $20s range and encompassed a nice selection of choices making it hard to pick between. Both my husband and I ordered soup one of which, a cream of squash as I recall, was so good our kids snagged tastes until we finally ordered another bowl. Everyone's dinner was beautifully presented, well prepared and so tasty that we didn't have any leftovers despite the typical, too large (my opinion) portion sizes. We only ordered a single glass of wine since driving under the influence on the winding rural roads back to Rawhide Ranch wasn't prudent, but the selection was intriguingly out of the ordinary.

Our tab came to around $150 including tip which included our daughter ordering a main course pasta entree making it a splurge for the family As tasty as it was, we felt it a good value for such excellent food and a special location. If your children were less adventuresome than ours (i.e., ordered a burger or sandwich instead of an entree) your bill would be lower or you could come for lunch or breakfast. Given how many couples and groups of friends were at the restaurant I'd say it's best suited for a romantic interlude or girl's getaway evening, but don't discount it for the family if you have kids whose palate extends beyond Macdonalds and your budget allows for a treat.

Reviewed October 20, 2009

We went to the Story Inn today for the first time as part of our annual autumn trip to the Nashville, Indiana area to enjoy the changing colors of fall and the laid back attitude of the general area. Story is actually several miles outside of Nashville and very much off the beaten path. While the atmosphere was interesting (rustic/old) the food was average at best for lunch. I had the Blackberry pork BBQ served with a VERY small serving of slaw and a few mushy sweet potato french fries. The BBQ was absolutely boring. It had very little flavor, and the flavor it did have reminded me of Liquid Smoke and something slightly sweet. I expected more.

My husband's meal was the same as mine with the exception he ordered a breaded tenderloin, an Indiana specialty. The tenderloin was extremely thin (hardly any meat visible under the breading ) and was over-fried to the point it was hard and difficult to cut.

The staff was nice, but in our opinion the food was substandard Indiana fare for the price. What a disappointment.

1  Thank greentown1