“Friendly and Excellent Food”

The Story Inn Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 45 Restaurants in Nashville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: 160 year old village turned boutique bed & breakfast featuring unique overnight accommodations in the towns original cottages. The original general store is now the Story Inn Restaurant which serves brunch and dinner featuring seasonal New American cuisine, paired with an award winning wine list. The Story Still, located below the restaurant offers a full bar with a rotating Hoosier micro beer collection. Story offers several unique wedding and event venues, including a 100 year old barn, gardens, and old mill.
Lafayette, Indiana, United States
“Friendly and Excellent Food”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My wife and I had lunch at the Inn on word from a relative. We both were very impressed. Upon arriving, we went inside to find out information about lunch. The hostess gave us a menu to look at as she told us we were welcome to view the four rooms upstairs and the gardens behind the Inn.

While in the gardens, we met the owner outside with his new puppy. The man was very nice and talked to us for several minutes. An old barn on the back of the property was being renovated and he invited us to go check it out. The barn will be awesome when completely finished. We toured the gardens as well as the cottages across the road. If you have never seen it, we highly recommend you do.

We then went back in to the restaurant and had the blackberry pork and the "Story Club". Both things were excellent and reasonably priced. Portions were plentiful and the service was pleasant. We plan on going back and staying in the bed and breakfast and recommend the restaurant to everyone.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank KentM6700

Indianapolis IN
“A Lovely Story with a Happy Ending”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This is a favorite little spot when we're headed down to Brown County. Charming, quaint... haunted... (or so the story goes). If you have friends coming in and the drive isn't daunting, take them to Story Inn for a nice lunch. We taken several of our friends to dine here and everyone was happy with the experience.

The food is good, the service is friendly, the ambience is quirky and quaint. Prices are a bit dear but not so much so that we don't eat here a few times a year. You can check out their menu on their website.

On one visit we asked for a tour of the Inn (which is the haunted bit) and they were happy to take us up stairs and show us around.

There isn't much more to see at Story apart from the restaurant and a small garden but no matter... Nashville with all its quaint and charming shops is just a few miles away.

• Visited February 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Charming little find”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We were driving from Hoosier National Forest to Brown County State Park when we unexpectantly came upon this charming little place. Unique character. We were only one of three four tables served while we ate lunch on a Tuesday afternoon. Service was very slow. Food was good. I had a signature bbq sandwich which was very good and messy; needed to work on it with a fork. Kids went with the breakfast items, pancakes for one and biscuit and gravy for the other. The waitres was helpful in letting us know the 1/2 order of the buscuit &*gravy was plenty of food. My kids liked all thier food. The place has charatacter and is way off the beaten path.

• Visited July 2013
Fishers, Indiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A must see”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Historic, interesting, unique.....quiet, relaxing atmosphere...delicious food, great wine, good service

Visited July 2013
Fishers, Indiana
“Huge Disappointment”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

After dining here with my Mom a few weeks back (and having a similar experience), I decided to write a review since my second visit was less than overwhelming. Normally I don't write reviews, but the Story Inn struck a serious nerve with me.

First, the hostess is rude and extremely snotty. Living in Fishers and near Carmel, I am used to rude people, but this woman went above and beyond. I would advise some form of personality training and/or customer service skills. After telling her that we were early for a reservation (by about 15 minutes) she proceeded to repeat our reservation name and the time, which she had as 8:00pm and not 7:30pm. I corrected her and she proceeded to tell me that I needed to wait until 8:00pm and she would seat the rest of my party at that time. I inquired as to what she meant by "rest of your party" , because this was an anniversary dinner for my husband and I, alone. She stated that my reservation was for 6, so we went back and forth for about 10 minutes debating as to who was correct. I even went so far as to pull up my email confirmation on my iphone to show her. It was completely ridiculous and poor business practice. I was able to view the reservation book and yes, there was a party with the same name scheduled for 8:00pm, but just below it was our reservation for two. When I pointed this out, she simply shrugged her shoulders and pretty much said nothing. No apology for the confusion. Nothing. I am completely in awe of how she overlooked this considering there were only three reservations scheduled for 7:30pm and one for 8:00pm and we walked in at 7:15pm. Talk about being completely unaware of who your customers are! We weren't even sure if she was going to go ahead and seat us so we stood there just waiting for a minute while she stared into the dining room. Let me add that there were literally four people dining at that time, so why there was such a fuss I am still unsure. She proceeded to seat us and we pondered the drink menu, which is lengthy and a positive point in this review. FYI- the wine pours are about double the average which our server stated was due to the Malbec I ordered being the "end of the bottle", but shortly after I noticed that this was common among all wine glasses. Our server was ok. I don't know if it was the fact that he was young or he just had the same training that our hostess had, but he missed a lot of details throughout the dinner (refilling water regularly, removing dirty dishes, never received the coffee I ordered). I am baffled that this place can be so disorganized and yet so successful, especially since BOTH times I have dined here there were virtually no other guests in the restaurant. Thankfully, the server had a decent personality which made up for his lack of wait skills. The menu and "specials" were exactly the same both times I have dined here and I actually had to ask the waiter the second time what the specials were, since they were not reviewed with us prior to asking for our dinner order. The food was sub-par for the pricing, especially in comparison to places like Ruth's Chris, Flemings, and other mid-to-high end restaurants with the same average entree price.

My husband had the duck which was dry and barely edible. I had the pasta special (6 cheese manicotti) and it was pretty comparable to Fazolis, but for $20. The cheese plate was haphazard and messy, but the selection was decent. The only thing my husband and I truly enjoyed was dessert, a chocolate pot de creme. (During my June dining experience, my mother ordered the 7 ounce filet which was flavorless and dry and I had the pork dish which I would call average; however, we shared the blackberry cobbler which was great.)

The location and environment are both beautiful and adds to the novelty appeal of Story Inn. I just wish the food and service were held in higher regard by the management/owners since novelty will only last so long. We will not be back in this lifetime unless new owners/management step in.

Visited July 2013