“Didn't care about their customer”

Nashville House Restaurant
Ranked #32 of 45 Restaurants in Nashville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
southern Indiana
“Didn't care about their customer”
Reviewed November 18, 2008

My husband and I have visited Nashville, IN many times over the years, and think it is a wonderful little town for a quick get-away. We had never eaten at the Nashville House, as their meal prices are very high, but on our visit in 2006, we decided to stop in there for an afternoon snack of hot Sassafras tea and their supposedly famous fried biscuits and apple butter. The hostess seated us, and the waitress came to take our order. We told her what we wanted, and in a few minutes she came back to say that if that was all we were going to order that they could not serve us because they had people waiting to be seated who wanted a full meal. We were dumb-founded and extremely aggravated. We got up and left. We have never experienced anything even remotely like that anywhere. We will never support that place of business again, and you know what they say about word of mouth advertising!!
Pam, Hoosier resident.

3 Thank PamsouthernIndiana

indiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stay Away”
Reviewed November 5, 2008

Had to wait over 40 minutes to get food, was too expensive, and couldn't buy togo buscuits. A waste of time. Go somewhere else...don't support a place that is not customer service oriented.

1 Thank Pori30
Seattle, WA
“High prices for food straight out of the can”
Reviewed October 27, 2008

The only good thing at the Nashville House is the fried biscuits and apple butter. Everything else seems to come straight out of a can or other food service packaging. My brother in law and I are vegetarians, so our only choice was the vegetable plate. I could swear that in the 80s the vegetable plate consisted of fresh vegetables, like corn on the cob and fresh green beans. Either my memory is hazy or the restaurant has gone downhill because this time around (in October of 2008) here's what I got for $13.99. A dollop of canned peas so mushy I could not eat them. A dollop of canned corn, edible, but hardly notable. A serving of green beans with absolutely no seasoning. A scoop of mashed potatoes that were lumpy, but probably from a mix. Four slices of bland tomoato. Wow. It's such a joke to call this country cooking. In the old days, which Nashville House is supposed to evoke, country cooking was from scratch, using fresh ingredients from the garden. Great Grandma didn't have access to 3-gallon Sysco cans.

Lest one think the poor food is limited only the vegetarian selection, my sister had the chicken and said it was just OK. Not good, just OK, but cost about $20.

If you want the biscuits, get them to go from the cashier's counter. Much less expensive and way more satisfying!

1 Thank Jenniferal
portage indiana
“Nashville House Theives”
Reviewed February 14, 2008

My husband & I went to the Nashville House last October 2007 after at least 25 years and were so looking forward to it only to be totally dissappointed with the food and mainly their outrageous prices. We went with another local couple for lunch and the bill was close to $80. for 4 lunches. Three of us had chicken, which was only dark meat and my husband ordered the ham which alone the ham lunch was $21.00. Where do they get off charging these kind of prices. We could have gotten a prime filet for that price. I ended up calling the owners who never returned my call, then when I finally got ahold of one of the brothers, he was totally rude and told me that MacDonalds was up the road and I told him I could have gotten a better meal there. As I told him, you served instant mashed potatoes and canned green beans. What the heck is that all about? I told him he was robbing honest hard working people and SHAME ON HIM and his family. How in the heck can a family of four afford that slop he calls food? I remember the biscuits being very good years ago and quality has diminished over the years and again Shame on the owners of Nashville House charging those ridiculous prices in the heartland of America and claim to be Christains when their robbing people!!!

4 Thank dragica
Terre Haute, IN
“Old Favorite”
Reviewed January 9, 2008

I have been going to the Nashville House since the late 50's. The fried chicken is the best. The slaw is an acquired taste but unique and good. The helpings are bountiful. The menu is simple but country "fixins". A little pricey but I certainly have paid more plenty of times other places. Enjoy the biscuts & apple butter they are great. Don't let some of the other reviews keep you from this experience.

3 Thank travler47803