“April High School Reunion of old friends” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Abe Martin Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nashville
Abe Martin Lodge
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Nashville
Evansville
“April High School Reunion of old friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

Four couples met at Abe Martin Lodge on April 23rd for a high school reunion of the men in the group for 3 days--Class of 1963. Every couple was pleased with the Annex rooms except our bathroom looked worn out but clean. We were very pleased with the food in the main dining room--very reasonable prices and the food had ample servings and was very good!! Nobody complained about the food. All front desk staff was helpful and friendly on every shift. All of our rooms were clean. The Water Park was very impressive but we didn't use it. We really enjoyed the game/TV room located near the conference area. Plenty of comfy sofas and 3 table to play board games on. We all played Sequence both nights. We plan to return next year to repeat.

Room Tip: Ask for an Annex room. Fourth floor is very quiet. We were in 411.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank retiredin2003

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

I co-organized a small (around 45 people) academic conference at Abe Martin in April 2012. The staff were polite, helpful, and cheerful (even on occasions when they seemed pretty overburdened). The Melodeon Hall is a large, attractive space with mega-vaulted ceilings. As such, the acoustics were better for the presentations than for group discussions. The Allison Peabody Room is a lovely, smaller space that was perfect for our group size on the two days we had it.

The food was tasty and and offered up in large quantities. The equipment (lcd projector, microphones) worked fine and was easy to set up.

Our participants all stayed in lodge rooms. My own room was clean and pleasantly appointed. There are pleasant common lounge areas, a lovely courtyard garden, and a large attractive "back yard" for congregating informally.

The facilities do not compare to a luxury hotel or a business hotel. Nor do the costs. It is important to keep in mind that this is a lodge in a state park. The surroundings are lovely, the space and facilities were not luxurious, but were perfectly suited for our small conference, and it was VERY affordable.

I would highly recommend this venue for a similar event.

Room Tip: The lodge rooms near the courtyard have a lovely view and are near pleasant common areas.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank prof_voyager
Bloomington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

We reserved a Rustic Cabin Room in April 2012. After unloading our stuff from the car we noticed mouse poop on the nightstand by the bed. I decided to do a flashlight inspection of the room and found mouse poop in every corner of each room and a concentration in the closet with partially eaten acorns. I also noticed an open space in the flooring in the closet big enough for a mouse or snake to enter. We loaded our stuff back into the car and headed back to the registration desk. The attendant told us the mouse poop must have got there just after the room was cleaned, which was incorrect, unless the room had not been cleaned since last year. She also said, "you are in the country so there could be mice." Our home is in the country also, but we don't live with mouse poop and mice running freely in our home. We did end up getting a room at the Inn which was much nicer and clean. So far we haven't been charged the extra amount.

Room Tip: Don't do Rustic Cabin Rooma at Abe Martin Lodge unless you examine them first
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Michael D

Travelers are raving about these Nashville hotels

Brownsburg, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

We checked in to the only room available which was a rustic cabin during spring break week. The pool area was nice however there were not enough lounge chairs, our cabin had a musty odor but seemed very clean. We went to bed but were startled awake by mice! There were mice in our cabin! Needless to say we did not sleep very well through the rest of the night. When we checked out the next morning I told the front desk about the mouse problem but she acted like it wasn't a big deal. She didn't offer me a discount or even an apology. I will never stay in the rustic cabin again but may consider staying in the main lodge sometime in the future, hopfully the rooms in the lodge are rodent free. It wasn't worth $80 a night to stay in a mice infested cabin!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jeanie G
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

I stayed for two nights in one of the cabins close to the lodge. I am handicaped and one of my fellow cabin campers parked in my parking place for my cabin. There were no spots left. I called the front desk and they offered no help other than to hint at which cabin belonged to the offending guest. They had no security working! And yes I hobbled to the door and woke up the offending guests. Thank god they didnt punch me in the nose. And were kind enough to move to the grass.
I awoke the first morning with a few bites on my legs. I assumed these were chigger bites as I had walked that day in the woods. The next morning I awoke to find 15 or 20 odd looking bites on my torso and around my waist. Upon a close inspection of the bed under the sheets confirmed my suspicion. The little $&&@#*%s were everywhere.
Upon returning home I wrote the management staff a letter as well as a comment card addressing this issue. I asked to be called. To date, I have not received any kind of a response.
Aside from the infestation, the room appeared dated and worn. The sheets and the bedspread were threadbare and stained. The cabin appeared clean, however this was the worst hotel experience I have ever had.

• Stayed August 2011
8 Thank CheekieMonkies
Naperville, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

We opted for one of the "rustic" cabins adjacent to the main hotel. I didn't know "rustic" also meant "rodents". As soon as the lights were out I could hear noises coming from around the room. At first I literally thought the room was haunted - noises were coming from all sides of the room simultaneously. I finally figured that a mouse (not mice) was in the room. We woke up in the morning to find mouse feces all around the room. There was no way a single mouse could have done the damage that night. We are outdoorsy type of people and understand rodents and animals. What shocked me - after further inspection - was the overall poor condition of the cabin including small openings at the window sills, floors, doors, and areas that had obviously been mice entry points in the past. We mentioned it to the front desk and they moved us into the main hotel for the night. They assured us that theyd get an exterminator to the cabin to fix the problem. Either they lied or found the best exterminator in town and fixed the problem within 90 minutes - because we saw another family checking into the cabin we vacated only 90 minutes earlier! Unfortunately the hotel room wasn't much better. It looked like the cleaning staff never moved furniture to clean the non-obvious places. We were simply looking for an outlet to use for charging our phones. Behind the nightstand and bed was trash, dust, and food pieces. Not to mention we found ants in our food bag the next morning. We are not hotel "snobs" - but had much higher expectations of a recently remodeled facility. They are sitting on a gold mine there if they would put more energy into properly maintaining and cleaning their facility. The pool was nice but there are not nearly enough chairs. They should lose all of the "lounge chairs" (who needs a lounge chair for an indoor pool) and fill it with more traditional chairs. The staff and the park were great. The guys at the saddle barn were simply exceptional. In the future we'll likely just camp and enjoy the critters where you'd expect to find them - outdoors (not indoors).

Room Tip: For a bug/critter-free stay, avoid the rustic cabins and request a room at the Inn on at LEAST the 2...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jon R
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

We stayed here one night. The hotel was rustic, but I guess that's what you get for a park feel? Old, musty smelling as well as rustic and old furnishings. The price was okay. The indoor water park was great for small children, only one small slide and short lazy river (more like a circle), and they limited the hot tub to 6 adults. There was a lifeguard though. The park itself was beautiful!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 4USAtravelers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nashville
Brown County Inn
Comfort Inn
#2 of 6 in Nashville
Salt Creek Golf Retreat / Overlook Lodge
Fort Harrison State Park Inn, Golf Resort & Conference Center
Fort Harrison State Park Inn, Go...
#57 of 178 in Indianapolis
Rawhide Ranch
Rawhide Ranch
#1 of 7 in Nashville

Been to Abe Martin Lodge? Share your experiences!