“Most likely not to return”

The Inn at Amish Acres
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Nappanee
Terre Haute
“Most likely not to return”
Reviewed August 6, 2008

We were not impressed with the Inn at Amish Acres. The beds were comfortable enough, but the room most definitely had been a smoking room at one time. I could still smell the cigarette smoke. Good thing my allergies and asthma was under controll or I would not have been able to stay. We had no hot water for showers as we prepared for dinner at 5:00 pm. nor was there hot water for a morning shower. The room was clean but could have been cleaner. The staff was kind and helpful, but when I mentioned the cold showers, they said that happens sometimes and blew it off. The continental breakfast was filling enough, but I missed the wonderful amish muffins that were supposed to be on the menu. For the money I spent for the hotel, I wish I would have shopped around.

Stayed August 2008
2 Thank jhnsn958

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Westmont, Illinois
Reviewed April 28, 2008

I stayed here for a business meeting in the area. It was OK. The room was OK...It wasn't as clean as it could have been and the railroad blew it's horn every 20 minutes throughout the night as the cross by the hotel..very disturbing. Food was fine for breakfast. Couldn't they put some of the Amish stuff out so you could try what they are selling?

• Disliked — the noise
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank cubswin1
New York, NY
Reviewed January 11, 2008

The Inn at Amish Acres is one of the most comfortable, clean, pleasant hotel experiences I have ever had.

As someone who has chosen to stay in this beautiful hotel multiple times, the courteous staff and well-maintained property have always exceeded my expectations.

The hotel offers an incredible breakfast each morning with muffins and pastries direct from Amish Acres. Truly delicious!

The hotel rooms are truly some of the cleanest rooms I have ever stayed in, and the overall atmosphere is extremely quiet and relaxing.

I always highly recommend The Inn At Amish Acres to friends and relatives, and will continue to do so.

You will NOT be disappointed if you choose to stay here!!!

• Stayed October 2007
1 Thank BS1020
kalamazoo, michigan
Reviewed November 29, 2007

Just returned from an overnight stay at the Inn at Amish Acres. I really don't understand all the negativity that I have read. This is not an urbane, sophisticated, glitzy destination. It is a comfortable, friendly, and chill-out place to visit when one wants some down time to rest and relax. Because it is winter, we were not able to take advantage of all the activities open in the warmer months. However, some of the shops are open and we thoroughly enjoyed the threshers dinner and White Christmas (currently playing until the end of the year.)

We had reserved a whirlpool room ($10 a person more) and found it quite adequate. It was clean and spacious--in need of some updating, but most moderately priced hotels do need some updating. The continental breakfast was exactly what we expected--good coffee, fresh muffins, cereal, bagels, assortment of cereals, etc. The staff was friendly and helpful.

We really enjoyed White Christmas. The cast was talented and enthusiastic, and friendly. They even gathered in the lobby after the play to meet members of the audience and answer questions.

The threshers dinner was quite delicious. A great example of home cooking in a restaurant. It was not gourmet food, but it was tasty, fresh, and served with a smile.

We would recommend Amish Acres to anyone looking for a quiet, restful getaway. They have reasonable package prices. On the downside, there is a railroad track across the street. If you are sensitive to the noise that trains make, you might have trouble sleeping. It did not bother us.

This is a tourist destination, but I think the owner/managers have tried to make it welcoming and friendly.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank sandyjo42
Chicago
Reviewed October 31, 2007

My family and I have made this a staple trip during the holiday season for almost seven years now. We usually have to split the holidays between in-laws(or out-laws as I like to say...snicker) so in order for us to have time to ourselves, opening presents, vegging out w/each other, etc...we make plans to the Amish Acres farm and hang out for two days in Nappanee.

If you're arriving anytime during the post Halloween/pre "holiday" season, give a look-see to Notre Dame's football schedule via the 'net. Fans of the fighting Irish tend to stay here, thus taking up all the rooms in the inn and leaving very little options for those that wish to hang at Amish Acres.

The "Inn" is very basic, but cozy and very clean, quiet and very accommodating. Basic in the sense that it's a clean, ready to sleep in "motel" that will not disgust you at all. The rooms are simply decorated with Amish quilting and images framed as well as old style furniture(wooden rocking chairs, chaises, armoirs, etc..). For the summer months there is a small swimming pool big enough to take the heat out of your mind and cool you off gently. There is a free continental breakfast(which used to mean the rock hard bread roll) which is basic breakfast cereal, toast/bagels for toasting, milk, fruit juice, instant oatmeal, fresh hot coffee, tea, fruit...the basics. No scrambled eggs, bacon or anything along those lines, which is fine for us. Each room has a microwave and some have hot tub/jacuzzi suites(which is what we indulge in).

Quiet is an understatement. Pretty much each time we've visited the "Inn" we've been blessed having quiet neighbors. It helps that the majority of the patrons of the "Inn" are a bit older than us(well, they've been on Aarp for some time actually).

Accommodating? Every year until three years ago we've needed a crib and they kept our information on file(via computer) and w/out us asking provided us w/our crib for our baby. I didn't have any money on hand when I hit the tiny pseudo "gift shop" as we were unprepared for the freezing weather(duh! If it's below zero in Chicago Wednesday, it's bound to be below zero east, in Indiana Thursday) and asked about Amish Acres sweatshirts for all of us which they kindly billed to our room. Their staff is ready and willing to give any information required for your stay(places to eat, visit, etc.. and they're ready to make your stay as quiet, comfortable and great as they possibly can.

We've yet to make a trek to Amish Acres as we usually just hang out in Nappanee and do our shopping, eating, hanging out, etc...in this great little town. Just east of the "Inn" is the downtown area with a few fascination antique shops that I cannot seem to keep out of. I hope it's still in great shape(or built back up) due to the October 18th tornadoes that struck the area this year. From what I understand(via the news and the 'net) the Taco Bell and Dairy Queen were leveled by the storms and haven't been rebuilt as of yet. To be on the safe side I would call the "Inn" to ask about accommodations, Amish Acres actitivies and if they can provide any information of the areas that may be off limits in Nappanee.

I'll be making our reservations next week as we're actually planning on going to the "Inn" this Thanksgiving instead of the usual Christmas run as my outlaws will be out of town for Christmas this year. The included photos show what the area looks like in winter. It can be cold, gray and crowded with the Amish but who cares? A chance to get out of the noisy, dirty city for even a day is so worth it. Plus, we still get excited when we catch a glimpse of an Amish family, especially in a buggy.

For further information, give 'em a call:

1(800) 800-4942 or amishacres.com

Thanks for reading, and happy traveling!

• Liked — We love Amish Acres so to be so close is great!
  • Disliked — Lack of snow. We've yet to spend time here w/some
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank Tonks78
Evansville, IN
Reviewed June 17, 2007

Service was good from the time we made reservations by phone through the time we left after two nights. Reservation confirmation was given immediately. Amish Acres is a tourist attraction and operates like one, but there is also a great deal of information about the Amish and their lifestyle. The farm tour is excellent, the Threshers' Dinner was delicious and "real" Amish farms are all around.

The musical theater was very good (the playbills make it very clear that ALL plays are musicals) and the overall experience is well worth the price. This is not a place to entertain the video-game crowd, but if you're interested in learning about history and lifestyles, or just looking to relax in the countryside, it's a great place to go.

• Liked — Cleanliness, location
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank Indiana_Traveller_47
Indiana
Reviewed November 28, 2006

Reservations can not be confirmed immediately on line. I wanted to speak to a human because I had some questions. I got caught in a loop and could not speak to anyone or leave a message. I emailed them 6 weeks ago and still don't have a reply. [I don't need one now because I did not heed the previous reviews and made the mistake of staying there]. The place definately needs some TLC. I went to MickyD's for breakfast the second morning because I do not like cold cereal and there wasn't even bread for toast.. I requested the AAA discount but was informed that the room was already discounted. I've stayed at cheaper chains that serve a full breakfast and are cleaner. The name Amish Acres is deceiving. The Amish do not work, clean or cook there. I paid over $20 for my meal [including tip] ate very little and was not allowed to take my leftovers with me. It was not a buffett and I had not received any seconds. We did see the play. I was disappointed because I neglected to note that it was a musical. We did find a very good Chinese restaurant up the road to the west in Breman. About 6 miles on the main street in town.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Unfriendly staff. No carry thru, just hype.
  • Tips/Secrets — Did I mention the freight train across the street that went thru 24/7 blowing his horn constantly.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
9 Thank suzzyq2

Travelers are raving about these Nappanee hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nappanee
Brook Pointe Inn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Elkhart-South
Homespun Country Inn
Homespun Country Inn
#1 of 5 in Nappanee

Been to The Inn at Amish Acres? Share your experiences!