See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 29, 2014

Doing genealogical research can involve wonderful surprises. When we learned that my great-great-grandmother (Saloma Coppes Frazier) came from the family that put Nappanee on the map because of the high-quality kitchen cabinetry they manufactured, we knew a visit was in order. And what better place to stay than the Victorian Guest House, the former residence of her brother Frank and his family?

Chris, the current proprietor of the old Coppes mansion, has done a fine job restoring it to its Victorian grandeur. The burgundy carpeting, dark wood, original stained glass, and other appointments evoke an era when the pace of life was slower and people knew each other better. Playing Scrabble in the sumptuous parlor/living room was quite an experience. So was having breakfast next morning -- Chris's egg casserole, baked apples, and lemon poppyseed coffee cake -- at the original family dining table, which easily seats ten people.

Of course the Coppes Suite was ours for the night. We all enjoyed the gigantic bathtub -- luxurious even without a jacuzzi. The old four-poster bed -- perfect with a pillowtop mattress -- reminded me of Grandma's bed from years past. And the trains passing by regularly -- through the center of town -- were less noisy than reassuring, telling us that life continues on in predictable ways. (No wonder Grandpa -- who may well have spent time here as a child -- loved trains so much!)

Two small caveats. Don't expect to plug in lots of devices here, as electrical outlets in the rooms are few. Also, while wi-fi is provided, we found phone reception iffy. That said, part of the charm of a town and a place like this is being able to shed some of the distractions of modern life. It was worth every penny we spent; and we expect to come back to learn more about the family members who lived here in the early years of Nappanee.

Room tip: Ask for a room that doesn't have foot traffic over head. (Most don't.)
Date of stay: September 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed here 2 nights for a weekend getaway. We just wanted to spend some time exploring Amish Country & this was the perfect place to stay from which to do so. My sister had stayed here on a prior occasion & highly recommeded that we do the same. She was spot on.
The home is part of the Heritage Trail and each room has a private bath. We stayed up on the top floor (the third floor) in the maids chamber and loved it.

The Victorian Guest House is an amazing home filled plenty of historical significance.
It is so well built that it is nearly totally silent inside from the hustle and bustle of the city street sounds just outside the front door. We were the only two in the home one evening and heard not a peep as we played Scrabble in the luxurious grand old parlor/living room. It was quieter than our home. Origianal woodwork...stained glass windows...tons of charm.

Eating breakfast is a throwback to years gone back...
You can almost feel the history emanating from the walls and furniture as you dine.
Hostess Chris is terrific and serves a great breakfast.
She also offers plenty of history about the home and the surrounding areas if you wish.

With six rooms, I would imagine that this B&B is the perfect place for quilting clubs,
or small groups to spend some time. I know it was the perfect place for our getaway weekend.
We would defintely stay here again.

Thanks Chris!

Room tip: Hungry travelers must try the Threshers Dinner at Amish Acres here in Nappanee, Indiana. Amish Acres is about one mile up the street. Not sure that we've have ever had a better meal. We absolutely loved this place. Everything we ate here was fantastic, but the strawberry pie actually brought tears to my wife's eyes. We would probably steer clear of Das Essenhaus Restaurant to the north in Middelbury, Indiana. We found the Amish Acres Threshers Dinner to have far superior food...better service...somewhat better prices... and the place was cleaner overall as well. If you can only choose one, pick Amish Acres
Date of stay: July 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I took my three teenage granddaughters, (ages: 19, 15, 14) there for a nights stay. I booked the Coppes Suite for them. I thought they would like the big 100 year old, 65 gallon bathtub. After I booked that room, I found out none of them took baths. I stayed in the Catherine Room, down the hall. It had a pull chain toilet, and a regular shower. I told the girls if they just had to take a shower they could use mine. Well, all of us tried out the big bathtub. Pure Relaxation! The hostess, Christine, told the girls they didn't have to get dressed as long as their pajamas were decit. to come down for 8:30 breakfast. There was no way I was going to have 3 teenage girls with hair and make up done by that time. Chris kind of catered to the girls by making a chocolate coffee cake to go along with an egg,cheese, sausage, and bacon casserole. This is something that teenage girls would not have done on their own. They had a wonderful time,and have plenty of pictures to prove it.

Room tip: The Coppes room, Victorian, and Catherine rooms are good. The sewing room is smaller, and bathroom is not in the room, it is separate, outside the room. Maids Quarters might have been nice for me, but I wasn't walking up another flight of stairs in this old house. It is not handicap accessible, you have to climbs stairs to get to any of the rooms.
Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Gloriousglo
Reviewed April 23, 2006

The only room available when we booked was the sewing room, the room below the maid's chamber. Unbeknowst to us, the floorboards in the maid's chamber creak excruciately loudly and are very thin. We retired and fell asleep only to be woken-up by the guests upstairs who were talking and walking around in their room. Each and every step made such loud sounds that we couldn't fall back asleep until they got into bed, but then, we could hear the gentleman snoring. Once we did actually fall asleep, we were awaken every time one of them got up and walked to the bathroom which was frequent. In the morning, instead of waking on our own, the sound of them getting up and walking around woke us up, and this was hours before we planned on waking up. It was impossible to fall back asleep until they were done showering, getting dressed and left their room. In two nights, we had the most miserable sleep, if we slept at all.

Date of stay: April 2006
8  Thank Asyngin
Reviewed November 10, 2003

We had a wonderful experience at the Victorian Guest House, a big pink house with impressive original woodwork and stained glass, and even some of the original furniture. We called on the spur of the moment, late one afternoon. The hostess, Vickie, told us she had two rooms still available, the Maid's Quarters and the Sewing Room. We chose the Maid's Quarters and were extremely pleased with it. The photo on the web site doesn't do it justice; it has intriguing angles and woodwork, attractive decorating, and a large bathroom with both a claw foot tub and a separate shower. The room is up an additional stairway from the other guest rooms, so it has a lot of privacy.

A tray of hot drinks was waiting on our bed when we arrived, and included two of what Vickie calls "Blond Brownies." I would have said they were Lemon Squares, and the best ones I've ever had. There is a gift shop where you can buy two cookbooks of Vickie's recipes, and one includes the Blond Brownies recipe. Breakfast was also excellent, and Vickie and Bruce were great company. We truly felt welcomed and pampered.

When we were getting ready to leave, Vickie was removing the sheets from the beds and left all the doors open so we could see the rooms. I liked them all. Even the Sewing Room, though quite small, is attractively decorated.

7  Thank Jenfishg