“Wonderful Italian Food”

Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Munster, Indiana
“Wonderful Italian Food”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We eat here often. Their Chicken Vesuvio is the best . Their pastas are great. The atmosphere is old world Italian. The tiramisu is outstanding

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Barbara0414

Saint Charles, Illinois
“Cozy and delicious”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I have been going to Giovanni's since I was a kid, 20 years ago. I love this place and the food is just as good now as it was then. The atmosphere is cozy and dark, giving a warm comforting feeling. I love going to Giovanni's whenever I'm back home visiting Munster.

• Visited March 2012
POMPANO BEACH
“Typical Neopolitan classics with some surprises!!”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Giovanni's of Munster,IN is a typical southern Italian restaurant that satisfied our hunger but left me somewhat unhappy. When we arrived for a celebratory dinner (with a reservation), we were immediatly escorted into the bar. The bar, it's cleanliness questionable, felt and looked like an Irish pub with Neopolitan decoration! We were seated at a card table in front of a very "un-kept" entertainment stage. The table (with no cloth), had low chairs with rollars on it's legs! Beer and pretzels anyone?? I requested to be seated in the main dining room and was accomodated. Once we walked over the greasy path of the carpet to our table, we finally were presented with our menues. Our evening took a welcomed positive turn with the arrival of our server..........She was pleasant, knowledgable, and very efficient. Excellent homemade garlic rolls were presented with butter and olive oil for dipping. For apps we ordered calamari for the table and steamed mussels. The calamari was fine although served with cocktail sauce rather than the usual marinara. The miniscule mussels, although they had a wonderful helping of garlic, were swimming in a overly buttered sauce (not broth). Soup or salad was offered with our entrees. My salad was ordinary, but fresh, although it was prepared earlier that evening and kept refridgerated (a pet-peeve of mine). The minestone soup was tasty. Entrees were white fish, strip steak, perch and veal parm..............My white fish was excellent with a fresh aray of well prepared veggies. The perch, was also very good and the veal parm was just acceptable. It's highlight was the marinara sauce. The marinara, probably Giovanni's signature sauce, was light and full of flavor. As for the steak, my guest ordered it medium to well....'nough said? BTW, our server came to us and discouraged us from ordering the baked potato. Thanks to her for letting us know that they looked dried out, but shameful that the kitchen would even consider serving them up! Then came the desserts..............Mango cheese cake (shy of a mago flavor), flan, and tiramisu..........All very good. The price for our evening was resonable. But I would not consider a return visit to Giovanni's until they replace the dingy, dirty dining room carpet, and while they're at it, a cleaning crew for the bar is definitly in order!

• Visited September 2012
Chicagoland
“Good food, good service”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We had our anniversary party at Giovanni's. The cost was reasonable and my husband and I had each entree that was being offered to our guests. They were both excellent. My husband had the chicken vesuvio with roasted potatoes, and I had parmesan herb crusted tilapia with grilled vegetables. The entrees were served with salads and rolls. The service couldn't have been better. Our friends and family were enthusiastic about the food. We often order pizzas from Giovanni's too. They are really good and reasonably priced compared to other local pizza places. We like to support locally owned businesses as opposed to large chain restaurants. Giovanni's is one of our favorite restaurants. It's well worth a visit. PS The cannoli is amazing!

Visited July 2012
Detroit, Michigan
“The Best”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This is worth the visit. The garlic bread is so good I could have just ate that. We have eaten here before and its always great !
Top notch food