“Vera Mae 's is a lovely place to dine with a good menu, but maybe not so much on a Sat. night.”
Review of Vera Mae's Bistro

Vera Mae's Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Vera Mae's Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 209 Restaurants in Muncie
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Scenic view, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Jackson Street
Description: Opening its doors in 1999, Vera Mae’s began its story as a lunch delivery and catering business through its South Walnut street storefront in downtown Muncie. Owner Kent Shuff pioneered the revitalization of Muncie’s historical district and later expanded the restaurant in 2002. Formerly Ballard Hardware, Kent and co-owner and partner, Steve Fennimore created the Ballaird Hall, increasing the original Bistro from 54 seats to 210 seats. Come explore the living history of a Midwestern staple. On our walls you will find part namesake, Vera Yates (Kent's Grandmother) at her restaurant and gas station, along with David Letterman on an evening out. Everything has a story as the modern local art and historic architectural elements combine for an intoxicating evening of hand-crafted cuisine and delectable drinks.
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I loved the old atmosphere & the staff was very friendly. However, for the price I wish for more gracious service and less chaotic noise. It was a Sat. Night, but having live music & recorded music at the same time was not soothing. Acoustics are poor & the jumble of chatter, & laughter with the odd music mix was jarring to my digestion.
The server forgot my request for extra sauce for the Brie chicken breast (a bit dry), but that was probably due to the ruckus in another room & someone declaring they were going to call 911.
All that said, the French onion soup & the bananas foster were excellent.

1  Thank Polllanne
There are newer reviews for Vera Mae's Bistro

Reviewed April 7, 2012

Surprising gem in Muncie. Reminded me so much of a left back restaurant in Paris with lots of art on the walls. Good wine list for me. I was in the mood for a sauvignon blanc and my favorite area is the Malborough region of New Zealand. I occasionally find one from this region in restaurants in small town midwest but here there were 3 to choose from, including a favorite of mine , Kim Crawford. I had the tomato bisque soup for my appetizer. It was the best I have ever tasted. I was completely shocked and wish I had just ordered 2 bowls of soup and bread for dinner! My companions both had salads which they enjoyed. Then 2 of us had the dill crusted cod with home made tartare sauce. this was fine but not memorable. It came with sweet potato puree which was a welcome change from white potatoes or rice. THe highlight was the pan roasted green beans which we all agreed were spectacular!. One of us had the New York strip which was huge and wonderful. Other friend commented that they had the fillet and it was fabulous( and they were from New York!). Only one of us had room for dessert. He liked it but I would say desserts seemed a weak point in an otherwise good food line up

I would be remiss not to re-comment on the lovely ambience. The decor was warm and inviting with huge majestic ceilings and a beautiful bar. There was even a gentleman playing a grand piano. I would certainly eat here again. One of the owners, Kent, greeted us and he was charming and welcoming.

1  Thank sarawelder
Reviewed March 27, 2012

A very nice place, good for romantic couples. Service was very friendly. The menu is somewhat limited, and a bit pricey. Most of the food was good, but not outstanding. I'd go there again, given the choices in Muncie.

1  Thank zenmusic
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Come prepared for an ever-changing menu that reflects local fresh foods and service that can't be found in many locales. You will be pleasantly surprised at this small town dining experience. I promise you won't be disappointed!

1  Thank ShebaSelma_Indiana
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Top end restaruants usually don't last long in Muncie.
This one has been around for some time.
Small and cozy. Small, changing, menu. Daring creations. Good service.
Had a few absolutely superb meals here.

1  Thank Benjamin P

Been to Vera Mae's Bistro? Share your experiences!