“My Favorite Restaurant in Muncie”
Review of Tuppee Tong Thai

Tuppee Tong Thai
Ranked #18 of 209 Restaurants in Muncie
Cuisines: Thai
Description: Here at Tuppee Tong Thai Restaurant, we take pride in our authentic Thai recipes that come from family recipes and our grandmother's tastes. We like to keep the menu simple so that we can focus on creating the highest quality dishes possible. Tuppee Tong offers a warm environment, serving lunch and dinner at reasonable prices. One of our most popular dishes includes the musketeer chicken, a delicious crispy chicken mixed with cashew nuts, carrots, green onion, celery and our homemade sauce. We have beer and wine options, as well as delivery options too. Come visit us and enjoy the most authentic and elegant Thai cuisine that you will find in downtown Muncie.
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I love this resaurant and everything about it. Its adorable inside, super tiny and quaint. The staff is so friendly and helpful!! The chef is so nice. The food is absolutely amazing. I love thier appetizers, the spring rolls and chicken satay are the best. Ive never gotten a bad meal here, I usually get the lahb gai salad and its to die for! Sweet and Sour Shrimp is awsome, and the crying tiger steak is just perfection. So much flavor! Beware if you do not like spice, this food definetely has a kick. But its so flavorful the spice just makes it better.

1  Thank mayrafranco
There are newer reviews for Tuppee Tong Thai

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Bad place to go for lunch if your in a hurry. Several other problems too they never bring out everyones food at the same time. Usually plates are a few minutes apart sometimes 5 to 10 min though. Also the heat level is so inconsistiant I always used to get the Level 2 Spice on a scale of 1-4 and sometimes it would taste like there is nothing in it and other times it would be unbearably hot.

Today I tried to eat there, I had one hour for lunch. They had one waiter working. It took 15 min just to get our soup. Finally after 40 min the first entree came out and we waited patiently for the last entree to come out. After 55 min and the first entree had become ice cold they came out and said they didn't have anymore beef and asked if I would take chicken. I said no and to please cancel my order due to time. The waiter was very nice and apologized. Then right as my girlfriend was finishing her cold cashew chicken they brought out a plate of food (Not my order but something similar) about an hour and five minutes after we got there.

Then they tried to have me take it to go and they wanted to CHARGE ME FOR IT after I had cancelled my order. A little customer service goes along way! I used to eat at Tuppee Tong a few times a month until today. I will never spend my money there again.

GO TO THAI KITCHEN OR THAI SMILE

Reviewed August 12, 2012

A great little (seats maybe 20) place in downtown Muncie, hiding in an unassuming storefront on Main Street.

It's an alternative to the other two Thai restaurants - a little more upscale and expensive with a smaller menu than Thai Smile 2.

Portions are smaller but the dishes are more carefully prepared, with little gourmet flourishes and, in the dishes I've had, bigger flavors.

I've not been to Thailand, so I can't say how "authentic" any of these places are, but Tupee Tong is the more "exotic" of the three, definitely more expensive, so probably more suited to those looking for an Asian option for a special occassion.

1  Thank Mark D
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Tuppee Tong Thai is a wonderful restaurant; probably the best Thai restaurant my wife and I have ever tried even though we live in Southern California! The curries have a complexity and subtlety that you would expect in Indian cooking but with a definitively Thai flavor. I would especially recommend the green curry which is absolutely outstanding! And the pad ki-maow is the best Thai noodle dish I have ever tasted.
The owner, Lilly, who is also the head chef, has done a tasteful job of decorating the restaurant. She and the wait staff are very helpful and service oriented. However, the dining area is small as is the staffing so I would recommend going at off-peak times, if possible, to avoid waits.
We try to visit Tuppee Tong every time we travel to Indiana. Next time I plan to try their sweet basil, my favorite Thai dish but one I have not yet tried at Tuppee Tong. Don’t miss eating at Tuppee Tong Thai if you are ever in the Muncie area.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Different Thai restaurants will offer different regional cuisines. While I am not fluent in the differences, I do know that the style offered here is the one I like. The sauces are stock-based (not the thick coconut-y ones offered at other places); more the chicken broth with lemon grass or ginger beef type. Crisp items are very crispy, spicy items are spicy, veggies are fresh and colorful, rice is fragrant, and noodles are good, chewy as appropriate for the dish.

Lunch specials are offered daily and offer nice variations at a comfortable price.They include a soup, spring roll, rice and entree.

I have never had a meal that I did not like at Tuppee Tong and we have been there numerous times. My personal favorite is the Crispy Basil Chicken, which I could eat anytime of the day or night, it is just that good!

The dining rooms (there are three) are each small and intimate, nicely decorated with portraits of Thai royals, dancers, and other exotic items. We have never needed reservations for two or three people, but a larger group may want to call ahead to assure seating is available.

Our only criticism is that they open late for lunch, and close between lunch and dinner. So, be sure to check the business hours before you go,