We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Muncie
McDowell-Nearing House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 6 Muncie B&B and Inns
Alexandria, Virginia
“Perfect”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our stay at the McDowell-Nearing House made our Muncie family reunion perfect. The rooms were fresh, clean, spacious and comfy. Our Innkeeper deserves bountiful accolades for breakfasts -- decadent pecan pancakes and fresh fruit cups. Five stars.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Belmont, Michigan
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I need a one night stop that was quiet and restful-in a city I had never seen before-and this fit the bill perfectly. My bed was perfectly comfy after a long drive, the house was sparkling clean, peaceful and quiet. My wi-fi and I worked late, and I woke to a fabulous full breakfast I could not even finish. Your hostess is a wonderful blend of intriguing discussion, and letting you go about your business. Perfect.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Minneapolis
Reviewed August 25, 2012

This B&B would be a rare find in any city. All the furnishings are of top-notch, like-new quality. Our bedroom featured southwestern decor and looked as if no one had ever stayed there before. There was plenty of space, with a small sitting area between the bedroom and bath. The bathroom was huge, with a double jacuzzi tub, a shower, and a toilet with a door. Downstairs were a spacious living room on one side and a parlor, leading to the dining room, on the other. The combination of comfort, luxury, and spaciousness makes the McDowell-Nearing House an extraordinary place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask the owner.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Muncie is my hometown. For some reason it has exactly one B&B in town. But it is a gem. The proprietor is friendly and whipsmart -- making for engaging conversation. The place is very clean and the room we had was roomy. There was a separate little room with a desk and a walk-in closet. The bathroom had a separate door for the commode and the shower was big enough to bathe a pony. (Don't worry, we honored the no-animals policy.) The bed was very comfortable. Absolutely no complaints.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Seymour, Indiana
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I had to be in Muncie for business and decided to surprise my Wife with a stay in a B&B. I chose McDowell-Nearing from the trip advisor site reccommendation. Wow! It didn't disappoint. Our room was incredible. Bed was extremely comfortable and the room was huge. I had a early morning meeting and had to change our breakfast time an hour early (0630) the owner didn't even blink. The breakfast was delicious with a very elegant setting. Staying there felt like I was at my Aunt's house. It was that relaxing. We will be back!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank philip h
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed May 8, 2012

This room was booked for me for a business trip so I had no ida what to expect. I called before arriving with a question and Jane was incredibly warm and friendly. I arrived a little late in the evening (after my work day and a long drive) and Jane even helped me inside with my bags.

The room was a total delight and surprise....a spacious bedroom with a sitting room, a walk in closet and a huge bathroom with a whirlpool bath in addition to a nice shower. The decor was contemporary Southwestern style and the furniture was really pretty. There was a decorative fireplace to make me feel cozy and relaxed, and I loved that I had control over the room's temperature setting and fans.

The entire B&B is incredibly clean. I walked around my room barefoot which I never do when I am in a travelers' environment. Al the floors were spotless as was the bathroom (which was well stocked with soaps and toiletries too). The walls were a little thin and I could hear my neighboring room's TV going all night which made it a little hard for me to sleep.

Breakfast was almost over the top with several delicious courses and a bottomless cup of coffee (which I require early in the mornings). The only thing missing was access to ice as the kitchen was not a public place. There was a well stocked small fridge for guests in the dining room (no ice), but I have always enjoyed having a small fridge in the room I am staying in for drinks and left-overs when going out to eat. I'm sure Jane would have gotten me some if I'd asked, but I didn't. Anyway, a very small detraction from a nearly perfect place to stay!

I would not hesitate to return to this lvely B&B. The luxury is nearly worth a trip to Muncie for absolutley no other reason than to stay at the McDowell-Nearing House.

Thanks Jane!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jaime S
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I stayed at McDowell-Nearing House last night. Jane was very welcoming, even asking what kind of food I liked for breakfast before I arrived. I knew the rooms would be well furnished from the photos. I thought it might be a little dated in the bathrooms as it is an older house with lots of drapes midwest-style. I was in for such a surprise!
My bed ( I had the king sized room ) was very comfortable, possibly the best I have slept in away from home where I have a tempurpedic. The sheet were lovely comfortable cotton. Each room had a thermostat. I had 3 windows in the bedroom with more in the bathroom

The bathroom was the biggest surprise. Completely up to date and spotlessly clean and well-maintained. I felt fine barefoot here!. The shower had a huge rain head and 2 jets that came at you straight from the wall. It was complete luxury and totally unexpected. My companion had such a large shower that he felt there was room for a football team!

Breakfast was served at our convenience and as we had a class 8 am suited us well. On arrival in the dining area a lovely glass of fresh fruit was prepared waiting for us and then Jane cooked us delicious ham scrambled eggs with mushrooms and other vegetables and crisp herbed fried white and sweet potatoes.. not at all greasy. There was also a muffin but I was too full to eat it so she gave me a baggy to take it to class in case I got hungry later.

When I had arrived the day before she showed me a fridge stocked with cold drinks. I asked if there was diet coke... my favorite, and she immediately said she would make sure there was plenty and had stocked it before I went to bed. I was also welcome to use the guest microwave to heat a back warming pack.

Jane was so welcoming all round. she showed us routes on the map and warned of closed bridges our GPS units might take us to in error.
This was an a amazing piece of luxury in a small midwestern town. I would definitely stay here any time if I return to Muncie. There are 4 guest rooms all with private bathrooms, a lovely sitting room and the most welcoming feel about the place thanks to Jane.

Room Tip: The King room has morning sun so I chose it to help me wake up. If you want a huge shower just ask J...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends