“Good but not great”
Review of Hawg 'N' Sauce

Hawg 'N' Sauce
Ranked #2 of 20 Restaurants in Mount Vernon
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: We are a family owned restaurant in Mt. Vernon, IN. We serve award winning BBQ using our own secret rub. We smoke over fruit wood and top with a sweet & tangy BBQ sauce. We also do LOTS of catering! Big and small, for receptions, a gathering at your house or anything in between. We offer patio seating and weekend entertainment in the summer. Stop by for a visit sometime and let us show you some southern Indiana hospitality while you enjoy some of the different foods we have to offer
Reviewed June 23, 2014

As far as BBQ goes this is just an ok spot. HNS is the best in the area because of the limited choices. I enjoyed the ribs and chipotle sauce but the brisket was dry and kinda tough. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the staff was very attentive. If I was in the area again, I would stop and enjoy the ribs and sweet potatoes fries.

1  Thank kjay67

Reviewed May 11, 2014

I am not the type to visit a restaurant immediately after it opens. I will even go so far as to say there are some restaurants that I have continued to go by & have never felt inspired to try. I finally gave in after a year of driving by Hawg N Sauce & stopped in to try their food.

I have heard many comments that their BBQ was really good. For my tastes however, I was not impressed. Sure, it was decent but I didn't love it. It's helpful to know that their BBQ is a sweet based sauce covering the meat. I asked if they had any other flavor sauce that they could put on my pulled pork. The answer was that they "had" a chipotle sauce but had been out of it for more than a week. I prefer savory to spicy flavors when it comes to BBQ. It wasn't bad, just didn't suit my tastes. To be honest, the best thing I had there was the tater tots! I don't often find any restaurant serving tater tots anymore so to find them was truly a treat for me. On top of that, they were cooked perfectly for my taste!! They were very crispy and crunchy.

Would I go back?? I am really not sure, the menu didn't make enough of an impression on me that I remember anything else that they offer. Maybe for a to-go order of tater tots but otherwise don't really see myself giving them a try again.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

I know some folks will argue but I've eaten BBQ far and wide around the world and this place so close to home is some of the best I've had. We have even brought colleagues from Argentina and the BBQ has received excellent reviews. My personal favorite is the brisket plate - it is moist, smoky and tender almost every time. Others really enjoy the pork bbq or the huge baked potato with BBQ on top. The sides and appetizers are excellent as well, everything made fresh. You won't go wrong making a drive to Mt. Vernon, Indiana for this plate of meat, great sides and great service.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

A nice BarBQue restaurant in Mt. Vernon, Indiana! The food is always good and the people take good care of you! The Ida-hog and Chip-a-hog are 2 favorites. Ida- hog is a large baked potato with pulled pork on top! Chip-a-hog are home made potato chips with cheese and sour cream on top and pulled pork to finish! Better be hungry! The rest of the menue is very good!

1  Thank Izzy305
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

The ribs are great. The brisket is also excellent especially when you get it in a wrap. If you like pork without sauce like the good barbecues that hold up without sauce. Then you need to order it naked, they have three choices of sauce to put on if you want it that way. Barbecue has a great smoky flavor. The baked beans are a standout. It is a very clean family room restaurant that does serve alcohol. On Friday or Saturday nights in the summer they have jam sessions outside that are very well attended. MBM