“NOLA in Indiana”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Providence, Rhode Island
“NOLA in Indiana”
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

I love Cajun cooking. In fact, New Orleans is one of my favorite culinary destinations. But every time I hit Indianapolis, I make the short drive to Mooresville to visit Zydeco's. Entering the place, you are teleported to New Orleans and the goodtimes begin. The staff is enthusiastic, the owner is everywhere talking to guests, and the food is outstanding. So"Lessez le bon temps roulez" and stop in to Zydeco's. You wont regret it.

Valparaiso, Indiana
“Great atmosphere - good food”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Although it is pretty far out of the way, it is a fun place to try. It is in an old town building with brick walls and great Mardi Gras decor. The staff was really friendly and helpful. Most of us got shrimp, crab, catfish, and etouffee. It was all good- the shrimp was good (I wouldn't say great or anything you'd go crazy over), but the catfish truly was very good. There is some outside sidewalk seating, the inside isn't really large so you may want to call ahead for reservations. They are opening up the other side of the restaurant to have a place to wait for your table/or drinks after dinner. We had a great time decorating oyster shells with glitter, beads, markers that they will be gluing on the wall. It was fun to be part of that (had even more fun after a pitcher of Hurricanes!)

Bloomington, Indiana
“Makes me want to go to New Orleans”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

This was our first trip to zydeco's. We first saw it on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Had a dr. appointment in Franklin and decided to try this place. When you first walk in the decor is crazy, but interesting. Our waitress was exceptionally nice and explained all the food since we had never eaten Cajun food before. Our dinner was served quickly and it was very good. We really liked the deserts. My pecan pie was the best I had ever eaten. My husband raved about the bread pudding . The sauce they gave you with the bread, was outstanding and i even brought a pint home. You can buy lots of the food they serve in the restaurant. Will definitely be going back. Can't wait to try the jambalaya and gumbo. It get crowded fast, so come early.

Indianapolis
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Zydeco's is a great place”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I had accidently found this place driving through Mooresville, Indiana, recently. As a 4th generation New Orleanian, I am always leery of Cajun restaurants outside of south Louisiana, since most are not very good. After talking to Carter, the owner, and trying the food, I can say that this place is amazingly good. What Carter has done that is different from other Cajun restaurants is that he is aware of the many micro-regions of south Louisiana cooking and has pulled some of the best variations from each region: He cooks the Jambalaya as if you were in Gonzales, La, the Boudin from Acadiana, the Andouiile from St. Charles Parish, the Red Beans from New Orleans, the Gumbo from Bridge City, the Catfish from Des Allemands and the Crawfish Boil from Boutte. So, this restaurant is the culinary equivalent of driving through all of south Louisiana.
The service was very good, despite the fact that the place was VERY busy-there was a line out of the door waiting for a table! I had several servers as well as the chef and his wife come by and ask if everything was ok, telling jokes, generally making you feel at home.
Bottom line: It is the real deal. Others that complain that there is no tomato in the gumbo or pasta in the jambalaya or other such thing or they went to New Orleans once and know what its all about will probably not like this place. If you want to experience a really quirky litte place that is unlike anything else in the midwest and you want to try some really great food then you might just find that Zydeco's will teleport you into south Louisiana.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank TabHunter1958
Indiana
“Inconsistant”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We went for fried oysters last week. We have been 4 times in past 18 months. Each time they come out differently. Our 1st experience was very good with well seasoned oysters. 2nd was very good but the breaded season had changed, but still not bad. This last experience was very bland and was at room temperature. Potato salad was still good and so was the service.
Drinks are sometimes inconsistant as well, depending on who's doing the mixing.
For the price, I hope the quality of the cooking comes back up to par.

• Visited April 2013