“Good value and nice place to stay.”
Review of Pine View Resort

Pine View Resort
Pine View Resort
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Monticello
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This is honestly a 3 star hotel, but it's actually a 10 star hotel compared to the Indiana Beach Camp Resort. After finding our IBC Penthouse unacceptable on a Friday evening, I had to scramble to find a decent place to stay for my family. I first went to Best Western which was further but they only had 1 room and we needed 2 for the weekend so I checked my TripAdvisor App and came across PineView.

I was desperate but encourage by the decent reviews so I called and spoke with Linda at the front desk. I explained my situation and she informed me that they had two adjoining rooms available and even offered to hold them for me. Upon arrival, Linda had everything in good order and we were able get settled very quickly.

The rooms were clean and big enough to accommodate my daughter's pack-n-play. They also had mini refrigerators and a microwave along with the standard desk and 32" CRT TV. The facility had an indoor hot tub, a heated outdoor pool, and a non-heated kiddie pool. They also offered a complimentary continental breakfast.

Overall, I was very pleased with PineView and glad that our little weekend away was not ruined. Kudos to Linda!

Room Tip: Be sure to request a room in the newer section.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank sofakinglive
There are newer reviews for Pine View Resort

Reviewed June 25, 2012

I stayed at the PineView a couple of years ago, and just stayed there again last week and they've really improved! There's been a lot of face-lifting done - new carpets, new mattresses, new, quieter A/C units in the rooms, fresh paint, new furniture, etc. The PineView is a modest, very quiet, very clean place. The continental breakfast is adequate, and having a microwave and small refrigerator in each room is very helpful. The ladies at the front desk are very nice and accommodating. My 81-year-old mom and I have stayed there twice, when we've come to Indiana for family visits, and their handicapped accessible room is great - right next to the sparkling clean pool! We enjoyed the little patio outside our room. The resort is close to everything. It's better than the Best Western down the street! They do need to do something about the low flow in the showers, and the super soft water (it feels like you can never get all the soap off your body), but all things considered, it's a nice place and I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: If you need a handicapped accessible room, spend a few dollars more, and get the poolside room - it...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank AzRedHead52
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We stayed at the lodge part of the resort (main building) over memorial weekend, which is before the summer rates hit. Overall, it was a pleasant place. When you walk in it is very welcoming and cozy. Ladies working the front desk are incredibly helpful and kind. Linda, one of them, is a hoot and we would come back JUST to see her again! The pool is very nice, but small and filled with kids. The breakfast room is very nice, but breakfast is very simple- just continental stuff and the coffee leaves a lot to be desired (try to upgrade that coffee!). The hot tub is very nice as well, but kids are allowed in it, so that was annoying. The rooms are very clean, but older. The bathroom evidently had been upgraded/remodeled. Beds are very old.... they were tough to sleep in. Overall, it's a really nice place and we will surely come back, but it won't be in the summer when prices are crazy.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Angela S
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Clean room in the lodge, but very small. Our view was facing the parking lot/road, so having to keep the drapes closed added to the cramped feel. The mattress was soft & lumpy; the shower flow was weak. The tv was old, with a remote that didn't work well, even after replacing the batteries. Nice refrigerator & microwave. Nice breakfast room overlooking the pool. The continental breakfast was poor--orange drink (not juice), lousy coffee, creamer rather than cream & a barely adequate selection of food (pop tarts, packaged pastries--very unhealthy).

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Pineview Resort for two nights in July to be near family that lived on the lake. From the website I thought it might be a bit nicer than it was but it did remind me of staying at a low-budget road-side motel. The rooms were dated and a bit worn but clean.Each room has double queen beds that would be good for a family. Ours was missing the hair dryer and tolietries; the housekeeper soon remedied that. The pool is nice but very small - just big enough for a quick dip to cool off. The staff was friendly. The breakfast was marginal.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cellii
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We stayed in a "resort" room, which is in the newer main building near the reception desk, the Garden Room, and the pool. The tubs in these rooms have whirlpool jets, a nice perk, but very loud. There are also older rooms in a separate building at a slighly lower price.

The property was clean and comfortable, though not exactly a resort. However the Garden Room is pretty for the continental breakfast and a dip in the hot tub. Due to a massive thunderstorm, the whole town lost power for most of a day. A generator powered the front desk and garden room only. Guest rooms were down for the count. The window provided enough light in our room, but the hallways were pitch black for several hours until power was restored.

The pool area was okay. We did also notice the sign prohibiting unhealthy and disgusting behavior that you probably rarely think about when using a public pool. No sores, no diarrhea, etc. A lot of people seemed to hang out in the pool area for a good portion of the day, many of whom were drinking beer, smoking, and chatting loudly and borderline inappropriately.

Indiana Beach has a reputation for attracting a sort of down-scale rural midwest crowd. Since we fit that description, we had to give it a try, and it is pretty accurate - if interested, see separate review of Indiana Beach amusement park.

We also rented a small speed boat from Lake Shafer Boat Rentals - reasonable at $65 for 2 hours. The lake (actually a dammed river) is quite pretty. After that, we would spend a little more next time for one of the direct lakefront propeties even closer to the park.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank KmomChicago
Reviewed July 27, 2011

After reading the other reviews I thought this would be a great place to stay because it
was close to Indiana beach. We used to go camping @ Indiana Beach 10 yrs ago & had awesome memories. Unfortunately it seems time stood still both there & this hotel. We had many issues from very outdated rooms to the price you pay to stay there. The staff was very stand offish & not 1 smile from Barb who did not seem to enjoy her job at all. Even though the hotel has a flier stating you could be referred by AAA this is the 1st hotel I have come across in yrs that did not except the card. It was very hot when we were there & the old air conditioner only worked on low with a loud knocking noise. When you turned it on high it did not cool the air. When we went to the pool I had asked Barb if we could get pool towels & she had said we needed to use the ones from our room. Knowing there was 4 of us swimming & only 4 towels I had saw a maid in the hall & figured I would get 4 more towels so we could shower before heading home the next day. The maid had said she was only able to give me 2 because they were short & to ask the front desk. Needless to say getting a towel was not the easiest thing at his hotel. The small room, old uncomfortable beds & loud air conditioner did not make for any easy nights sleep. They also had the most disgusting signs by the pool stating things about how you can not enter if you had oozing wounds & about 7 other really gross things. Shoud have took a pic of it was honestly unbelievable. They also had 1 of those really old ice machines that you scoop the ice by hand ( very unsanitary) It had a big sign that stated do not fill coolers. After staying @ a Drury Inn & Holiday Inn Express the previous 5 days the faults & unfriendly uncomfortable moldy smelling rooms really stood out. Indiana beach also was falling apart & is in dire need of remodeling & paint. The rides are sooooo old & reaked of mold & neglect. The prices went up there also. We remembered it being an inexpensive amusement park in its day. Now there were games that cost 8.00 for 1 try. Yrs ago we tried the hotel attached to the amusement park & it was horrible & smelled like mold back then. It looks like camping might be the way to go. Or spend 50.00 more & go to the Dells which is a way better bang for the buck. The one saving grace of the hotel was the garden room that had a hot tub & sauna. Me & my hubby joked how we wished we could sleep in that room. The outdoor pool was also nice.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank CamiChicago
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monticello
Best Western Plus Brandywine Inn & Suites
Indiana Beach Boardwalk Resort Lodging
Super 8 Remington
Super 8 Remington
#1 of 1 in Remington
Quality Inn Conference Center
Days Inn & Suites Lafayette IN
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Logansport

Been to Pine View Resort? Share your experiences!