“No better place in all of Indiana!”
Review of Blue Door Cottages

Blue Door Cottages
Reviewed July 19, 2011

My friends and I had just graduated from college and wanted to take a trip together to celebrate everyone being back home again, and we found the perfect place! After doing some scouting of places I stumbled upon Blue Door Cottages-thank God I did! BDC was an absolute dream! I couldn't have asked for a better place to have booked our vacation. The whole place is so warm and welcoming and the people couldn't be nicer. The owner Steve is one of the most genuine guys I've ever had the pleasure of coming across. There's tons of stuff to do nearby whether it's boating, wine tasting, or heading to Indiana Beach (of which you can get discounted tickets for when you purchase from BDC). I would stay here again in a heartbeat, thanks for the great time Steve! :)

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank NatGeoFan
There are newer reviews for Blue Door Cottages

Reviewed July 7, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at Blue Door Cottages. This is across the street from Lake Shafer and is a collection of duplex style cabins. We got a small cottage with a kitchen table inside. It came with nearly everything we needed. We picked up groceries at a local Walmart. It wasn't amazingly convienent but well priced. Next time, we'll just bring groceries from home and not waste our precious vacation time. We saved tons of money and time preparing our own meals in the functional kitchen. We had breakfast daily and packed picnic lunches while out and about. There was even a place to bbq and a firepit to make smores one night. Our kids enjoyed playing in the pool in nice weather and we snuggled in with a movie loaned from the office on a rainy night. We loved how Indiana Beach had rides for the smallest child. We did their beach but preferred BD pool. The owners (Steve) and their children were wonderful. Parking was a dream. There was no noise from other guests etc. It just was quaint and had a charm to it. I'd love to go back again soon. I adored the style but lack of clutter. The interior designer obviously loves ikea but I've never seen it done better! I'd love to go back soon! Side note the bedroom closets were generous!

CONS:
We expected to be on the lake and we were across the street. But, this is on their map and I should've seen that prior. I still would have booked and we just made sure the kids didn't cross without an adult. This place is very well stocked. I could have used more storage in the living room. They provide alot more essentials than standard. The bathroom wasn't as excellent as the rest of the place. I found it a little surprising there was no shampoo/conditioner but not a big deal. I did wish there was more storage or shelves in the bathroom. I just wanted to be able to leave a few more items in there. There is a shower only so there was a few rough moments with our baby/toddler after returning from the beach. I'd love to have a bath tub.The bathroom was the only room that I saw that was showing wear/tear on the tiles. We did run out of towels but we were too lazy to go wash them in the laundry room. If this had been a big corporate resort, I would've called for more towels. But, we hung them out on our porch and they dried. Actually, all the above "cons" were very small issues and not even problems. The only true problem we had was in the kids room (two twin beds), the beds kept sliding and when they did; we discovered dozens of bugs on the floor and a handful on one bedspread. I put the kids to bed in one bed and decided to notify management in the morning. But, I never did because I didn't really want anything being sprayed in the room the kids were sleeping. This was really the only problem and I never notified management.

Plans: I keep checking their website for deals or sales. I love that it's a family run business but I'd love it if sometime there can be an email mailing list and specials for returning customers or referrals. Since than I've had two of my friends stay there after seeing what a great time we had on facebook. I'm hoping for some fb insider deals! Keeping my fingers crossed that we can squeeze another trip out of our budget. I'd like to rent a boat or do some fishing next time.

Room Tip: Pay attention to where your kitchen table is located
  • Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank momdadgirls
Reviewed June 14, 2011

We stayed in Bungalows #8 and #9 (identical units separated by a lockable door) with 3 adults and a 4 year old in one unit and 2 adults and 3 boys ages 8-3 in the other. The cottages are very well-maintained and nicely decorated with minor signs of wear-and-tear. The beds were outstanding and the little people enjoyed the adventure of sleeping on the pull-out couches. We made extensive use of the pool and jungle gym. The price was quite reasonable and we utilized the small but functional kitchens for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and saved a ton of money. The bottled water in the frig was icy in the morning, so we just changed the setting and it was perfect the next day (I'd rather have a too cold frig than one I can't trust for eggs and lunchmeat). Our days were spent on the property in the morning followed by lunch and then a short drive to Indiana Beach for afternoon fun (fair warning: the direct route to IB is closed for bridge work and the detour is a royal pain but apparently the construction should be done any day now). Steve at the front dest was super-helpful and very nice. There is a decent collection of DVDs and some games for rainy day fun available at the front desk for free. We are definitely planning at least one more stay at this fine facility this season. 2 minor dings: some extra storage (open shelving or wall hooks) in the living area/kitchen would be nice; the cookware is showing its age and should be replaced soon. Overall, we were all very comfortable and had a relaxing time

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank ktjmitchell
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I was a bit nervous staying here since most of the places in Monticello are well lets just say old and less maintenance. This place went beyond and above my expectations. The staff (I believe Steve) was a very nice guy. I stayed in Bungalow 5 with another couple. The first day we went to the amusement park and had a great time but thunderstorms kicked in which temporarily closed down the park (Indiana Beach). This turned out to be great. we all went back to the Bungalow and ordered pizza and watched a movie. After a movie the storms was over so we started up a fire and roasted marshmallows. This was so romantic. All the other guests from the other cabins were out along their bungalows too. The next morning we all went went for a swim in the nicely kept swim pool. I loved this place and find it hard to believe that someone had a complaint. Trust me I am not always a generous reviewer unless the place truly deserves it and trust me it DOES. Just remember no pets under any circumstances.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jerseygirl086
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Stayed for memorial day weekend 2011. The on site manager (Steve) went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed for a great trip. The pool, play area for the kids, grills, and firepits made for a fun and easy trip with our children. We really enjoyed being able to dock right across the street (the staff at Jake's even allowed me to plug in an extension cord to charge my trolling battery). Cottages were clean and comfortable (more than enough room for a family of 4 in a bungalow). We are already planning another trip with our extended family.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ottmich3
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Our family stayed 3 days in the Big Cabana and a double bungalow. We were celebrating a graduation from Purdue University with a mini family reunion. The cottages were well designed with plenty of space for everyone to be together or to be seperate, whichever they wanted to do. We put all the adults in the big cabana and the "kids" - twenty somethings - in the double bungalow. The kids could stay up late watching movies and the adults were able to turn in earlier. It rained so we didn't get to use the fire pits, but the area with the fire pits and the picnic tables is quite large and it would have easily accommdated all of us. We had plenty of dishes, towels and bed linens. They provide hand soap, dish soap, paper towels, trash bags and toilet paper - we are used to bringing this stuff ourselves, so that was a savings and one less thing to forget. The owners were very friendly and eager to make our stay enjoyable. We purchased discounted tickets from them to Indiana Beach - only $22.00 per person for unlimited rides - and we had a great time at the park. So early in the season, it was not crowded and we never had to wait long for a ride. We hope to come back in warmer weather and rent a boat and enjoy the lake. The bridge across the lake to the cottage is being repaired and it is closed, so there was a detour we had to take around the lake to get there, but the owners were sure to let us know ahead of time so we didn't get lost.

If you are in the area, this is the place to stay. The rates are very reasonable. Everyone loved sleeping the the King alcoves! The people with the rooms were envious! Wonderful colors painted throughout the cottages with simple decorations, a very pleasant space.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank anna w
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Went to the Blue Door Cottages a few weekends ago and had a fantastic time. A very cool, relaxing place. Great cabins, decorated with a nice IKEA type feel to them. (surprised to see some reviews say the place wasn't clean, as our cabin was amazingly clean) My 4-year old son and I had a fantastic time with his friends and their families. The boys played all over the area...and in the great swimming pool! and we were super close to Indiana Beach Amusement Park.

Being from Chicago I wanted to get out of the city and relax with my son. I was new to the Lake Shafer/Monticello area but it is an easy drive from the city and I was able to load up on food/bev for the weekend at a nearby WalMart.

The evenings around the campfire made me nostalgic for the campfires of my youth, and the lake is beautiful as well ...and I had a great time skipping stones right across the street from Blue Door.

Wonderful place to stay and I look forward to going again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank GCSchaefer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monticello
Indiana Beach Boardwalk Resort Lodging
#4 of 10 in Monticello
Pine View Resort
Pine View Resort
#8 of 9 in Monticello

Been to Blue Door Cottages? Share your experiences!