“Great water view, good food, great service!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sportsman Inn

Sportsman Inn
Ranked #1 of 48 Restaurants in Monticello
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Scenic view, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Marion, Indiana
“Great water view, good food, great service!”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We visited this restaurant last week during our visit to Indiana Beach. It was a quick and easy drive, with plenty of parking. There is a great deck, but no umbrella's so we decided to eat inside and by the window. The view of the water was great. The young staff was very attentive and helpful. The food was good. The restrooms were clean. Service was great. I was concerned about other reviews saying it was slow, but we found that it wasn't slow at all. We were there before 6 pm and as we were leaving, it was getting busier. Definitely will go back.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank JenniferS25

Monticello, Indiana
“Not enough food..”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

A group of 24 took the dinner/cruise on July 18th..along with what I assume was about 100 + other people who paid $70 each for this evening...our 24 were the last to go to the buffet table as we were directed and we were left with no chicken and no mashed potatoes.. We had boiled shrimp with no sauce and a cold paste salad and a paste dish with sausage...we are cruising the lake so it is impossible to get more food....the meal wasn't hardly worth $35.00...The company and the band were very good....I am sure it is very difficult to control the amount of food that people take but maybe a little extra would be better than running out of food before everyone is served..this particular evening the rating is going to be poor

Visited July 2014
Pendleton, Indiana
“Norman Rockwell was here.”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Our weekend luncheon party of 7 people joined a full dining room this Sunday. Adjacent dining rooms and the outdoor deck were all busy. Food service was on the slow side, which I would have attributed to the crowd, until I read other Trip Advisor reviews and realized this is a trouble spot. With a little one in our party, the wait felt extra-long. Most of our group chose selections from the sandwich menu and very much enjoyed them. Our lunch experience was on the pleasant side of average.

So... why an "Excellent" rating? Because this is an independently owned establishment with a long local history. Because it has water views and boat-in service that I can use to make my teenagers jealous that they didn't grow up in this town and I did. Because we need more places like this and fewer cardboard cut-out chain restaurants.

Also because 30 years ago, the proprietor used to wear evening gowns and greet the weekend patrons like an eccentric aunt. Because The Sportsman hosted my graduation lunch, my wedding rehearsal, my grandmother's 80th birthday party, and my parents' "Friday Friends" breakfast meetups for many years. Did I mention that Rotary Club (still) meets here every Monday at noon?

The Sportsman is more than decent on its merits, and you get a free side of Americana. Dig in.

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank Tammy B
“Food over cooked and tasteless”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Waited 40 min to be seated. No one else waiting and 4-6 tables open? Idk. Ordered potato skins. Dry, tasteless. Bacon was undercooked on skins. Ordered cordon bleu. It was a Piece of ham with cheese on it, sitting on top a piece of chicken breast. It was over cooked, dry and breading was so hard I couldn't chew it. Onion rings oozed with grease and cooked so long the inside onion was burnt. I don't know how anyone on here can rate this place good. The hostesses, about 6 ppl standing around the entrance were arguing and leaning on the podium doing nothing. Our waitress was attentive and served us well. Too bad she didn't have a quality item to deliver to the table. Daughter had ckn tenders. Over cooked and rubbery. The medley veg was a strange mix of soggy green beans, squash, lemon and maybe? An onion? Unidentifiable mess. Hubby's Cajun ckn was the best of the mess. Over cooked and dry but at least chewable with some effort. His potato was dry and tasteless with it even being loaded. I would NOT recommend dining here. Drinks are good. Atmosphere is loud but nice being near the water. We've had their pizza to go and it is very good. But definatley not fine dining. Very pricey and not even edible food. Sorry such a bad review. Just being honest.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Lharth014
“Great food slow service”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

I live in Indianapolis and we drive up for dinner the last time we were in it took 45 minutes to get a drink from the bar. I would like to have had a manager at least stop by and apologize for the slow service the restaurant was not that busy. Luckily the food was delicious like always.

• Visited May 2014