“Too sad” 3 of 5 bubbles

Sublette's Ribs
Ranked #12 of 48 Restaurants in Monticello
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Valparaiso, Indiana
“Too sad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Before the fire it was one of our special places to go. Upon re opening , we waited a month giving them time to get the bugs out. The wait staff was not happy being back to work, kinda grumbly. The food was over done and boring . They have list their piazz!! So sad!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Hebron, Indiana
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

7/9/13..Family of 3..had chicken,sausage,ribs and brisket..all kind of tasted the same..small portions for the price..mac cheese was good...food was not bad.. but workers in the front of the store would not shut up...they were very loud which made for a bad dinner!!!...may try again

• Visited July 2013
Frankfort, IN
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sub-par-lette's”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I tried Sublette's for the first time this past Saturday evening. It was 7 PM by the time we arrived and were told there would be a 15-20 minute wait. That was not a problem, and there was seating. (Some customers turned away rather than wait.) True to her word, the hostess seated us within the 20 minutes. She asked whether we wanted to sit in the bar or dining room. We chose bar since we figured less people and noise. Our waitress arrived within a few minutes and did not greet us with anything other than "What do you want to drink?" I told her it was our first time at Sublette's, and she said they had Pepsi products. My husband asked what was "on draft" and she proceeded to look over her shoulder and read the beer taps at the bar. She brought his beer and my water, asked "What do you want to eat?" We both ordered the two-meat dinner of brisket and ribs with two sides. (We thought at good price at $10.99.) My husband was having issues reading the menu to determine which sides were lunch or dinner ones, and she started listing sides. He settled on onion rings and mac and cheese; I ordered home-made chips and fried okra.
Then we sat for 50 minutes before our meals arrived. There was no contact with our waitress during that time period. Although we did notice that she failed to deliver food to a table near us after passing them by and trying to give it to the next two tables, and she brought the wrong food to another table. We also listened to the various wait staff complain about their weariness as they spoke with the bartender while putting in their orders at the bar station.
When our waitress brought our meals, she said nothing. The ordered mac and cheese didn't come with the rest of the meal; I had to try three times to say something to our waitress about not getting the side. She then brought it within three minutes.
Our food was mediocre at best. Amazingly, my husband said that the "forgotten" mac and cheese was the best part of his meal. His onion rings were very greasy, my home-made chips were semi-crispy with a few french fries added in (For good measure, I guess.), and my fried okra was okay but some pieces were smashed (From what, I don't know.). The brisket was thinly-sliced, fatty and cold, and the ribs were fatty as well. The mild sauce slathered on everything was okay.
Our waitress never checked to see how our food was; she did drop the bill on our table on her way by one time. My husband got her attention and asked for a glass of water which she brought after she cleaned dinnerware from a nearby table.
Our bill was incorrect with an extra beer being added to it. The waitress never apologized for it but did change it.
Sadly, we will not be going back to Sublette's in the near future, We had read about this restaurant in our local newspaper's article about places for barbecue in our area.
Our suggestion is to head to South Street Smokehouse in Lafayette if you want brisket or anything barbecue; it beats Sublette's by far.

1 Thank clamc
Flora, Indiana, United States
“Experience was disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Waitress was slow at first, got our drink order "water please" and then asked if we wanted lemon. We said Yes - she brought no lemons. Asked if I could get 1/2 order of Baby backs instead of the full rack listed - NO...only 1/2 racks of St. Louis ribs. Selected the 2 meat dinner - rib choice was only St. Louis ribs. Chicken was only 1/4 of dark meat - no white choice. Ordered beef brisket - looked like roast beef with BBQ on it. Husband ordered baked beans - she brought green beans. He ordered catfish and brisket - waitress asked if he would like tartar sauce. Yes, please. After a couple of minutes, he had to ask her again for the tartar sauce and the baked beans. Curly fries were dripping in grease - had to use 4 paper towels to soak up the grease. Not going to go back again. Mild BBQ sauce was too spicy. Needed a sweet choice.

1 Thank Pam M
Monticello, Indiana, United States
“This place Sucks!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Went to Sublets tonight for the first time after their Fire, and waited 1 hour to even be asked if we needed a drink refill, everyone around us was served their food!! Don't Waste your time at this place the SERVICE SUCKS!!!!! Would not recomend this place to my worse enemy!!!

7 Thank BeckyB1963