“Run Down ~ Many Rides Not Running”

Indiana Beach Amusement & Waterpark
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Monticello
More attraction details
Owner description: Today, Indiana Beach is home to six roller coasters. Of them, three are wooden roller coasters, including the world-famous Cornball Express, voted the #1 Wooden Coaster in the world by Theme Park Critic in 2002! In addition, Indiana Beach is home to Indiana's 1st custom steel coaster, Steel Hawg. Through all its new attractions, new slogans, and new guests, Indiana Beach never forgot its place as a classic facility filled with classic attractions. Whether it’s getting’ their fannies riding on a coaster, relaxing in the summer sun, or dancing & dining with family & friends, generations have enjoyed all that Indiana Beach has to offer including 0ver 100 accommodations. With plans for tomorrow blossoming every day, exciting changes every season, and a continued commitment to quality, there are no limits in sight for Indiana Beach’s future. From a cornfield that a horse and cart turned into a beach swimming area to the largest amusement & vacation playground in the state of Indiana, from its humble beginnings as Ideal Beach to its undying popularity in the hearts of guests of all ages and generations, Indiana Beach has come to represent that there truly is “more than corn in Indiana...”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

My boys -ages 9 & 11 - actually asked to leave early. They refused to get in the water at the "waterpark" after seeing how dirty the water was. 2 of the 4 water slides were not working. 2 of the 3 roller coasters were not working. The first 5 rides my 9 yr old tried to get on had technical difficulties. 37 minutes after the park opened, the bumper cars were still waiting on a supervisor to say it was ok to open. Very disappointing day - will never return. This place is like a glorified carnival with very old run down rides. They really should at least repaint during the off season. The line for the log ride was an hour wait - -partly due to so many other rides not running. After seeing the lack of care of the facilities, we decided to leave early and eat elsewhere. Save your money and go somewhere else.

7  Thank dedez1979

Reviewed July 18, 2014

Indiana Beach Amusement Resort is a great place to visit ever summer. They update the rides, it's clean, staff is friendly and helpful, and the Beach House, motels, cottages, and campground are in walking distance from the Boardwalk. The boardwalk has a variety of classic and unique amusement park rides. The Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain, Tig'rr, and Steel Hawg are three unique roller coasters that you won't find anywhere else. The Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain ranked #2 on the Travel Channel's "Most Unique Roller Coasters" list and the Steel Hawg rated high in the Travel Channel's "Best Rides of Terror" list. There are rides for all ages, and the water slides, Action River, and campground waterslides will keep everybody happy and cool during the hot Indiana summers. . There are old skool mechanical games on the Boardwalk as well as the latest in arcade games and midway games. There is a sand beach where little ones can build sand castles and a Splash Zone with lots of ways to get wet and soak others! They also have fireworks every Fridya and Saturday night. Over the years, I've stayed in their Beach House, Motel, and cottages. All are not fancy but very clean. The accommodations are affordable and conveniently located. This visit is fun for couples, families with young children, families with teens, a group of friends, or a place to hold a company outing.

2  Thank Jill M
Reviewed July 15, 2014

I agree with Bonnie L. below. Keep in mind, you cannot compare IB to Disney or the high-priced commercialized waterpark resorts of the Dells. This is a beach resort on Lake Shafer, built in the 1920's. First visit 1973, over the years have stayed in several cottages and the beach house and motel. Latest visit this past weekend. All rides were operating. A couple of them (log flume and Superstition Mtn.) had only one or two cars running which made the lines about 20 minutes long. A little frustrating for the kids. However, every other ride, you could ride as many times as you wanted for the whole day. The park employees were extra nice, and a few even said hello as they were walking through the park. Maybe because we were nice to them too. I do not understand the negative reviews. Yes, the bathrooms are gross sometimes (all public bathrooms are gross), as they are in a beach setting where people with swimsuits, etc. are using them, and the plumbing is not that great. However, there was not any garbage around. As for smell, the lake has ALWAYS had a smell of its own - as does any lake/beach. I feel a lot of the negative reviews are unfair or spiteful. I did hear in talking with a few locals that there is a movement to boycott as some are mad that the family no longer owns it and it is owned by a corporation. This could be the source of the negativity on-line. Do some of the rides and benches need a new coat of paint? Yes. However, after reading the reviews, I was expecting the worst. But, it is the same old great IB as always, with lots of new roller coasters and rides. They continue to add new attractions. They have a lot of food choices, or you can bring in your own food. Lots to do. The games are fun, and most are 50 cents. The motel rooms have been updated and are very clean and comfortable. The new cottages look great. My nieces who are under 12 love it, and go every year. This year we joined them, and we will definitely return next year. The prices for the rides and waterpark are very reasonable when you compare them to other places. Also, unlike Six Flags or other amusement parks, you can just pay $3.75 if you want to walk around the park. Other places make everyone pay the full admission, whether or not they are riding the rides. I think some people just complain to try to get something for free. If you have children, DO NOT let the negative reviews deter you. Give it a try. P.S-who in their right minds drinks from a drinking fountain??? I did not know they even made drinking fountains anymore. Come on. If you can't afford to bring your own water or buy a drink, then just stay home and leave the fun for the rest of us!! Love IB!

8  Thank Aceswithkicker
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Hotel CHARGES hidden Resort Fee above room rate. SCAMMING GUESTS.

With my son away at camp, I planned a trip for my seven year old daughter to have some fun without her brother. I booked a room at the Indiana Beach Inn the day prior to our weekday visit. The close location in the park made it easy to change for the water park and use the restroom in a clean private bathroom. A trip to the bathroom at the far end of the park was a smelly, disgusting experience. It also made it nice to have a "break" and cool off in the afternoon.

What was NOT listed anywhere on the website, nor told to me at booking, was the addition of a "Resort Fee." The room rates were clearly marked and described for the different rooms on the website. This allowed me to see what I was the sleeping capacity and bed sizes.

There isn't a way to book online, so I had to call to check availability and book a reservation. I asked about any discounts for tickets, and was told free water park tickets were included for each guest. When I asked about any additional fees, such as parking, I was told "I'm in New York and have no idea, just the taxes are extra." When I checked in we were giving our water park passes and payed extra for the P.O.P. tickets. (These tickets were at a discounted rate.) This was expected.

When I checked out, I never received a bill or invoice. Only after I asked for a receipt, was one printed. It listed the room rate, Indiana sales tax, Innkeepers tax, third blank line item for a 9% charge. When I asked what the blank item was, the clerk told me it was a Resort Fee. When I questioned why it was NEVER disclosed prior to check out. I was told we don't post it on the website, only if asked we try to tell people there is 21% in taxes above the room rate. I feel this hidden charge is deceptive, dishonest, and unethical. I have attempted to get the clerk to remove this unauthorized charge, she refused, stated nobody was there to fix it, and call a phone number.

This Resort Fee is just a blatant attempt to get more money for the very guests who support this business. Like most people, I don't like the idea of a resort fee- add it to the cost of the room. But if it isn't included in the price- The merchant MUST disclose the fee prior to booking, instead of hiding it in the final bill after the stay has been completed.

I had to dig to find out about this extra charge. 1. NOT posted on website. 2. Not disclosed (even after asking) during phone booking. 3. NOT listed on room receipt. 4. Only discovered after I asked what was this blank line item. How many resort guests have payed this extra fee without even knowing they did so.

I understand I wasn't staying at the Waldorf Astoria (or paying those rates), but the bed was rock hard with no cushion in the mattress, two undersized pillows, and a thin blanket was the bedding provided. The room was clean and nice to have the easy access to the park throughout the a day was a definite plus.

8  Thank Corky H
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Let's begin with the fact that this park is DISGUSTING. The trash cans smell terrible, they're overflowing. The water is gross and grimey, don't forget about the bottom of the lazy river that's sandy, and yellow. Don't even get me started on the bathrooms.. I literally hovered over the seat to go to the bathroom. It smells of waste and puke, it's dirty with bugs, filth, and dirt. The park overall had dirt and trash everywhere (use one of your rude, underpayed employees out of the hundreds of them to sweep it up!). A majority of the rides are shut down, the 4/8 waterslides are shut down, the nails in the walkway are sticking up and go throught your foot or you stub it on them, the tubes are deflated by the end of the week. I was told when I called for season passes that it was $70 per ticket, unless you bought 4- then the price per ticket was reduced to $50. When we came to buy them, was told it was a sale and you couldn't buy it that way anymore. Why didn't the lady I spoke with give me that information? Overall, this park has went down hill tremendously & is disgusting. DO NOT VISIT.

12  Thank kayleejonesss