“Dirty, Run Down/ 7-21-2013”

Indiana Beach Amusement & Waterpark
Ranked #12 of 16 things to do in Monticello
More attraction details
Owner description: Today, Indiana Beach is home to six roller coasters. Of them, three are wooden roller coasters, including the world-famous Cornball Express, voted the #1 Wooden Coaster in the world by Theme Park Critic in 2002! In addition, Indiana Beach is home to Indiana's 1st custom steel coaster, Steel Hawg. Through all its new attractions, new slogans, and new guests, Indiana Beach never forgot its place as a classic facility filled with classic attractions. Whether it’s getting’ their fannies riding on a coaster, relaxing in the summer sun, or dancing & dining with family & friends, generations have enjoyed all that Indiana Beach has to offer including 0ver 100 accommodations. With plans for tomorrow blossoming every day, exciting changes every season, and a continued commitment to quality, there are no limits in sight for Indiana Beach’s future. From a cornfield that a horse and cart turned into a beach swimming area to the largest amusement & vacation playground in the state of Indiana, from its humble beginnings as Ideal Beach to its undying popularity in the hearts of guests of all ages and generations, Indiana Beach has come to represent that there truly is “more than corn in Indiana...”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This park is in major need of a face lift! We were so disappointed by how the park looked... Paint was chipping everywhere, buildings and rides needed cleaned, trash was all over the park, the pizza restraint had flies flying around everywhere and on the double glass doors to leave there was a huge crack in the glass and they only fixed it with tape. Its an accident waiting to happen. Also, some staff was rude, the water fountains had yucky stuff growing in them and there was several not running, the water looked nasty and stunk, the water parks slides had mold growing on the slides, parent were letting their kids go pee on the beach (staff did nothing), there was several band aids floating in the beach water, there was at least 10 rides shut down and one stopped working while my kids was on it. You never seen a cleaning crew going around cleaning. What is the owner doing with all his money he is making off the park? It sure shows that none of it is going back into the park. If inspectors were to come to the park, I believer they would not pass inspection and would be shut down. I do not think we will be coming back until things are changed.

9  Thank Robyn E
in 23 reviews
"carp"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I almost cancelled our family trip to Indiana Beach on 7-21-13 but I'm glad I didn't. It's pretty much as I remember with a couple of new coasters added. It's not a modern park. Think more Coney Island. If you are looking for the Disney experience you will be disappointed. My 13 year old son enjoyed the water park, especially the slides. Most everything was working and open when we were there with only the Cornball Express being the only major ride closed. Some of the frat boy lifeguards were kind of surly, but when have you ever met an un-surly frat boy lifeguard? It's their job to stand & model & pout about having to work.The more long time employees were very friendly and helpful. We brought our own food and did not eat in the park. On the Sunday when we visited, the park was quite busy and got busier after 6 pm.

The park was clean, all the restrooms we visited worked, I thought the rides were adequately maintained. The park could use paint in some areas, but the current owners are visibly working on maintenance and rebuilding the older rides. It appeared to me that several areas were recently painted (bathhouse, water slide tubes). We got tickets via Deal Chicken for $18 each. We had a good time for cheap. Ignore the whiners & go.

6  Thank Jeff-Weissmin
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We started taking our kids to Indiana Beach and Lake Shafer about 6 years ago. Sadly we just returned from the last trip we will ever take there. When we first started going there the amusement park was clean, tidy and even though it was small we always enjoyed it. We usually spend a day boating, a day at the park and then a couple of days just swimming. This year all we did was boat for a day. We even left our cottage a day early because frankly there is NOTHING to do in Monticello anymore. If you can't go to the park because of the poor conditions then all you have left is boating and you can only do so much of that. The pizza place we used to go to (Double Ds) looks like it's under construction, the Nascar go Karts place states it's open from 6:00 - 10:00 on Sundays yet when we went there at 7:30pm it was closed. We thought maybe we would go to the bowling alley and when I called to find out their hours I got a generic recording telling me the voice mail for this number is full and the movie theater only shows 2 movies at a time. The ice cream shop we used to go to has also gone out of business. It's so sad that this town is dying. It's a summer trip that we started as a tradition with our kids and now we have to find some place else to make memories. If this town wants to survive it needs to take care of it's own and create some business to support tourism that it was used to gaining from indiana Beach.

12  Thank Karen L
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

My family and I have been coming here every year for 22 years due to my works company picnic. This year was absolutely terrible. The price of food was ridiculous. Several rides were not working like the kiddie airplanes, train, big flush, antique cars, water submarine, falling star (it just got moved in the park though), flying bobs. To be honest, I was scared to death on a couple rides. They were very wobbly and made weird noises. There was trash everywhere. I will save my money and just pay to go to holiday world next year.

11  Thank P00fP00f
See more reviews
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have always loved IB and have went there for many years as a kid and have taken my kids but I must say that since the new owners have taken over the amusement park it is being neglected and going downhill fast. Several rides were down or no attendant to run them. The whole place needs cob webs taken down and a good paint job. Several rides need attention. The staff in the gift shops were not paying a bit of attention to their customers nor did they smile. One staff member running the sky tram on July 19th evening was doing chin-ups on the wires and bars of the ride, making me feel very uncomfortable about having my child get on it. Scanning of bracelets is silly. Some attendants made you and some did not. It saddens me to see something I loved so much go downhill so fast. The new owners need to have the park looking ready for each new season and have a full staff with all the rides open to ride. There were 7 closed rides when we were there. That's ridiculous and false advertisement when the falling star is the only one mentioned that's down. Shame on yourselves IB new owners! The park was already excellent to begin with so don't go trying to change everything with your silly scanning bracelets and cash card for games and little teenie bopper staff. Bring back the old owners and old IB!!!!

7  Thank southern_belle40403