“Mostly positive”

Indiana Beach Boardwalk Resort
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Monticello
More attraction details
Owner description: Today, Indiana Beach is home to six roller coasters. Of them, three are wooden roller coasters, including the world-famous Cornball Express, voted the #1 Wooden Coaster in the world by Theme Park Critic in 2002! In addition, Indiana Beach is home to Indiana's 1st custom steel coaster, Steel Hawg. Through all its new attractions, new slogans, and new guests, Indiana Beach never forgot its place as a classic facility filled with classic attractions. Whether it’s getting’ their fannies riding on a coaster, relaxing in the summer sun, or dancing & dining with family & friends, generations have enjoyed all that Indiana Beach has to offer including 0ver 100 accommodations. With plans for tomorrow blossoming every day, exciting changes every season, and a continued commitment to quality, there are no limits in sight for Indiana Beach’s future. From a cornfield that a horse and cart turned into a beach swimming area to the largest amusement & vacation playground in the state of Indiana, from its humble beginnings as Ideal Beach to its undying popularity in the hearts of guests of all ages and generations, Indiana Beach has come to represent that there truly is “more than corn in Indiana...”
Lafayette, Indiana, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Mostly positive”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I visited Indiana Beach yesterday with my family. I hadn't been there since I was a child (early 90's), and after reading reviews on this site, I was hesitant. I was surprised to find it pretty much how I remembered it but with more rides. If you go expecting to have the type of experience you'd get at a modern thrill park, you will be disappointed. But where it lacks in thrills, it makes up in vintage amusement park charm. It was perfect for our kids (ages 7 and 8) who are at that awkward stage where the kiddy rides bore them but they're not quite ready for the big thrill rides you'd find at a park like Six Flags. So I definitely recommend Indiana Beach for families with young children.

That being said, here are my criticisms:

Several of the rides weren't operating due to short staff and renovations. The worst was the Flying Bobs. It's listed as a ride on the website, but we found it a rusty, halfway disassembled eye sore.

The staff was a strange mix. About half were very nice, clearly loved their jobs, and offered A+ service. The other half were miserable. It's always sad to see mopey staff at an amusement park.

The Haunted Castle was a bust. 90% of it is so pitch black that you can't see your hands in front of your face. It made it difficult to meander through the tight hallways. It also managed to scare our children, who are usually excited about spooky things. They loved the animatronics, which were cheesy but entertaining. The first few pitch black hallways were fun, but it quickly grew annoying. My kids grew scared and we left the attraction early. A little light would have gone a long way.

At Cedar Fair parks they have a policy that all food vendors must provide free ice water. It's a good policy since buying $3 drinks all day adds up quickly. We went to Dog and Suds at Indiana Beach and asked for ice water and she said she couldn't. It wasn't a burden on her, the restaurant was empty. Instead, she gave us a cup of ice and directions to the nearest water fountain. Several of the ice cubes had foreign debris inside of them so we dumped them out. The water from the fountain tasted like it was sucked right out of lake Shafer. So be prepared to either pay or drink gross water every time you get a little thirsty.

Finally, there's a lot of hype about the "world's best tacos", so I had to try them. The Taco Shoppe service was poor. They have a not-so-inviting sign that reads "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone". And to top it off, the tacos were bland and chewy like school cafeteria food. I love authentic Mexican food, and those were not good tacos.

So there are several ways in which Indiana Beach could improve, but overall we enjoyed our day and plan to return later this summer or next year.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Tim B

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Needs Some Work But Still Brings Back Many Childhood Memories”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I used to visit this park every year when I was a kid so when I had the chance to take my kids I jumped at the chance. I had seen some of the previous reviews and was concerned with the down rides/etc but I will say I was pleasantly surprised.

All the rides that were there in the past are still there today with the addition of some nice new coasters. The first thing you notice when you enter the park is that some of the rides of the past have been relocated like the Hymelea and the Falling Star. These had to be with the addition of a new ropes course in the park. All the rides were functioning today with the exception of a couple small kiddie rides but only 1 of them appeared to be down due to malfunctioning equipment. Most of the rides could use a new paint job and on the kiddie land rides some work is needed on the buttons on the rides to make sure horns/lights work for the kids amusement.

I have read that new management took over the park a couple years ago and people have been complaining about the upkeep and I agree at first sight that like I mentioned before a paint job is needed on rides and also buildings. We noticed today while we were there though they are building a new ramp up to the Falling Star (Not open due to this), the Hymelea appears to have a new building and when we were riding the log flume we noticed they were working on chipping off the paint on the railings and getting ready to repaint them so it looks like the renovations have begun at the park which is good.

We did see a couple rides stop mid ride today but were quickly fixed and back up and running. It was great reliving some old memories from my childhood as well as making new one's with my kids at a park that I love and I think good times are ahead for the park if the new owners keep the renovations going. A little TLC is all the park needs to continue to be a GEM for northern Indiana.

THERE'S MORE THAN CORN IN INDIANA!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Golferjosh
Springfield, Illinois
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Are they even trying?”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I hate to trash a place cause I know its providing jobs to people but to say this place is run down is probably taking it easy on them. We stopped here driving back from cedar point to take a break from driving. It was here or Indianapolis, I think we chose the wrong place. We got free water park passes for staying here. 3 of the 8 water slides weren't working and nobody was working on them. Same for the amusement park, at least 2 of the rides were down and nobody working on them either. We went in after 5 so tix were only 12$. You can walk through the park with out buying the writbands so we saw what they had to offer. My son didn't want to ride any of the rides so I didn't even have to buy him one. My daughter liked the rope course. They charge extra for the haunted house and skyline so we skipped those. Ive been to state and county fairs that offer better rides. I cant imagine having to spend more than 3 hours here, 2 hours at water park and 1 hour at rides is more than enough time.

It almost feels the owners are trying to bilk this place for every last cent they can get before it closes down. They either need to invest in this place, add some rides, clean it up, or keep it as is and let it die in a couple years.

If curious on the rooms, yikes! They're a cross between a trailer and a shed. I think we were actually at one of the nicer ones. There is a group of probably 20 that look the size of a single car garage. My wife probably would have left me if we were in one of those. Again, are they even trying? You have to bring your own blankets, toilet paper, garbage bags, and they say cleaning supplies. I get that theyre trying to save on maids or doing laundry but they need to get with the times. Who wants to freakin mop on a vacation? Not me.

Congratulations on saving 2 cents on a garbage bag but is it worth losing customers? I won't be returning or recommending this place to anybody.

5 Thank Cubfanbudman1127
Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“The Tale of Indiana Beach”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

The Tale of Indiana Beach

The other day my brother brought up Indiana Beach and how we haven’t been there in a while. Dad found out that on weekdays the pass is only for $12 per person. That’s not bad so we decided to go. We left and had an awesome drive there. When we arrived we saw that the parking lot was very empty. I was thinking, “Sweet! No lines.” We got our tickets and proceeded to enter the park. The first thing I noticed is that one of my favorite rides was taken out. Along with that the mini golf course was replaced with an insane looking zip line. Several things have been changed. One thing that was changed was how wristbands worked. You got a barcode like a piece of produce and you had to scan yourself to enter a ride. Yep you paid for a wristband that needs CONSTANTLY scanned. Whatever data they are obtaining from this they sure aren't using. For every ride I had to scan my wrist to get on, did I mention this already? And that is was annoying?

Not only this but all of the employees looked like they HATED their jobs. They looked depressed and bored out of their minds. It was like those commercials where they portray the DMV, “Next. Next.” (Looking somewhat annoyed and very uninterested.)

The first ride I believe we did was the pirate gun ride. Instantly I could tell something was up. While walking over to it there was a ride that has always seemed to sit there and they half (donkey) closed it up. They took out half of it and left the rest for whatever reason. It looked strange. After that you passed another ride suffering from the same treatment. That’s two less rides already.

Then we arrive at the Pirate ride. Why aren't the animatronics moving? Is that rust on the lights? Don’t they power wash this junk off the ground? Don’t they know what paint is? This was from standing in line. Somehow with no one there, lines still existed because they didn't have many carts on. For this ride it was fine, but others it was somewhat annoying. Anyway we get on the pirate ride and it goes and the sensors don’t work along with the many cool animatronics that used to be inside. On the top of the ride there is this skeleton that I love, it would yell and jump out of a barrel at you, but this time it didn't do anything, it was broken. The very large majority of the animatronics there were broken. If you have gone there you may remember Frankenstein on top of a castle, well, he has no hand. They left it off with the wires and gear just hanging out.

While walking around you could see the place was trashed and broken down. The place was terrible compared to how it used to be when I was a kid. This went for the rides and the restroom. We went to the restroom only to find two working urinals, the rest were out of order. That was ridiculous to me. How was a whole wall of urinals out of order? NOBODY was there! Can’t they maintenance anything? This tends to be a theme with everything, There was no maintenance and it seemed whatever ride we rode we broke. We rode the Steel Hog, we broke it, the Ferris Wheel, broken (It sounded like a screaming kid, it hasn't been lubed up.), Log Ride, and the Hoosier Hurricane’s brakes where faulty so you would stop so hard you would almost hit your head and puke with the bar going through your gut. (Even if your kid would meet the height requirements, do NOT bring them on this ride. The coaster part is fine but the brakes very likely give them a concussion. I was adamant my brother does not ride it.) Also the train was closed. We never even saw it. (I hope it wasn't sold.)

On another note, when I was a kid I also remember there being an awesome ski show. The show was awesome and people went up ramps and were lit on fire. This day they did a flip a pyramid and did a high dive. By far not the same granted it was a weekday, but it was another sign of the falling of the park. I also remember crystal clear swimming areas and fountains, this time they were not crystal clear or clean. You could see algae all over in the fountains.

When night came the wear of the place showed even more. The majority of the lights were out! They never replaced the lights at the place! The coasters the pathways, all had missing and broken lights. What is a an amusement park when it doesn't even light up? When I was a kid I always looked back at it while crossing the bridge to watch the park in its lit up glory. It mesmerized me. Now it is just dark. as there are no lights on the coasters.

The charm of the place is gone. Quality lost. The joy ended up mediocre in the end and the best ride for us ended up being the bumper cars. I really would not advise anyone go there as the current owners are literally letting the park sit. We got in for $12 on sale, I wouldn’t even go back for free.

14 Thank Justin C
Indiana
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“No standing in lines”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My daughter-in-law and I took all 5 of the kids to celebrate the 4 year old twins birthday. The ages were: two girls (7 & 8), the twins (boy & girl - 4) and a 2 year old boy. We got there by noon and closed the park out at 10 p.m. Thanks to the 8 year old, we had 6 free Funday passes from the library summer reading program. They were good for rides and the waterpark. We took turns with the kids. The 7 & 8 year old could ride everything and go in the lazy river. The twins could ride some bigger rides with an adult. They have kiddieland, which was nice for twins and the 2 year old. We had a wonderful time. The only downfall was Noble Romans Pizza. We thought we would celebrate twins birthday with pizza party. DO NOT go to Noble Romans if you have more than one or two kids. We were going to order their family special ( 1 large 1 topping pizza, 2 orders of bread sticks, dip, and a 2 litter of pop. for $29.95), which is enough to feed 2 adults and 5 kids. Well!, we were informed by the manager that they ran out of 2 litters of pop and was giving 3 (24oz cups of pop in place of it). We said that was fine, as long as they didn't have ice in them, and we could have 4 more small cups, so we could share it. Manager said, No! we would have to buy 4 more drinks at $2.75 each if we wanted 4 more cups. We told the manager that was double charging us just for the cups. He informed us that this was an amusement park and they had to charge the extra money. We left and told him we would fine somewhere else that would appreciate our business. We went to the Skyroom Resturaunt when we saw a sign that said they had kids meals. Sat in nice air conditioned place and we all, (including us adults) had a grilled cheese sandwich,and homemade fries for $4.99, or chicken stripes for $5.99. The kids drinks were $1.00 and adults were $2.00 with free refills.

1 Thank Gloriousglo